Dobinsons MRR Remote Reservoir Mounting Bracket (1 Viewer)

MoJ

Proven source of misinformation
For those running the Dobinsons (or any brand for that matter) MRR shocks, how are you mounting the remote reservoir for the front shocks?

The supplied mounting bracket design seems like a potential failure point with only one bolt mounting to the spring perch and one on the band that captures the reservoir. I’m sure it’s fine for most driving but the vibration of hours of washboard etc has me questioning it.

I have seen 2 versions of the front resi mount for their shocks and don’t know which one came first or which is preferred.

I got mine last year and it came with the piggyback clamp that clamps the resi to the body of the shock. I have had steady issues with the body rotating and/or the piggyback clamp sliding and causing the reservoir to hit.

I made my own mount with a metal bracket and single M8 bolt to now relocate the resi to the top of the spring. This has been better regarding confidence but I wish there was a better solution.

I was actually hoping I could get the Dobinsons top of coil tower mount as I thought that was the better mounting setup. I do love the shocks just wish they have a more confidence inspiring mounting method.
37A91F89-03B5-493D-A3A3-BB3BA4017205.jpeg
97943391-54AC-4299-8031-CBC89F8EFE27.jpeg
623F661B-F731-4758-9C07-E747BD3B6D6A.jpeg
2FB055D6-89D6-49F8-91E3-0919E5B541B7.jpeg

Reactions: MoJ

on the rocks

SILVER Star
I went with the factory single bolt but good point, I need to add blue thread locker on them. I think I remember a lock washer supplied with it but can add one as well if not.

unclegit

GOLD Star
I just ground it off and mounted it per instructions for the top of the coil tower mount provided with the MRA's - seems solid as a rock to me TBH.

Bear in mind it's suspended at the top of the spring - so it's only going to take the same pounding you do in the cab -which hopefully ain't too bad, plus it's supported by the spring perch not just the bolt :)

I'll take pics tomorrow.

alia176

SILVER Star
I agree with @Shoredreamer , the front mounts leave a little to be desired. I'll redo my fronts now that I've had a chance to work with them last weekend in UT. Both of mine are doing this due to using a single bolt for mounting.

On the rear, I don't like having to crawl on the ground to adjust the two comp knobs so if they offer a longer hose, I can locate the reservoirs on the outboard side of chassis, in the wheel well. If they don't offer a longer hose, I'll have a set made. I have a bottle of N2 and the shock adapter inflation deal for dealing with this type of shocks.

I've had to crank down the slow speed comp knob using the wrench and the rear resis kept turning on the shock body due to using a single point of contact. I'll see if they'll sell me a second set of mounting for a better solution if I leave them in place.

1624469374760.png

MoJ

I ordered a set of these brackets from Slee. I haven’t had a chance to do anything other than mount them. Need 2-3 long days in the desert to see if they’ll shake loose.

D3021631-7332-4FBE-8307-BB07469A44B2.jpeg

MoJ

I agree with @Shoredreamer , the front mounts leave a little to be desired. I'll redo my fronts now that I've had a chance to work with them last weekend in UT. Both of mine are doing this due to using a single bolt for mounting.

On the rear, I don't like having to crawl on the ground to adjust the two comp knobs so if they offer a longer hose, I can locate the reservoirs on the outboard side of chassis, in the wheel well. If they don't offer a longer hose, I'll have a set made. I have a bottle of N2 and the shock adapter inflation deal for dealing with this type of shocks.

I've had to crank down the slow speed comp knob using the wrench and the rear resis kept turning on the shock body due to using a single point of contact. I'll see if they'll sell me a second set of mounting for a better solution if I leave them in place.

View attachment 2712003
No opportunity to go under the steering shaft shield bracket?

MoJ

Also considered these:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom