Do you have a roof rack?

Do you have a roof rack?

  • Yes - OEM

    Votes: 22 44.0%
  • Yes - Aftermarket

    Votes: 25 50.0%
  • No

    Votes: 3 6.0%

  • Total voters
    50
  • This poll will close: .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OEM crossbars on 2016+ LX are kinda annoying, they don't slide along the rail to create ideal spacing in between to fit my Thule box. The front bar has one fixed position, and the rear bar has just two positions. It's either too far apart for my box or too close together for my liking. I'm taking them off soon.
 
eezi-awn k9 rack was on mine when I bought it from the PO. I haven't used it yet but i'm sure I will at some point. No noise from it and the moonroof slides right under it.


image0 (1).webp
 
I have a Sherpa Blanca, and I love it. I often have to carry 12-16' long lumber, and the OEM rack is worthless for this.

PXL_20250701_194646920.webp

PXL_20250501_170041592.webp


I liked it so much I bought a Grand Teton and a Crow's Nest for my Tacoma. Yes, it's noisy as hell, but I never take this truck on trips, so I don't care.
 
We have a Gamiviti expo. Love it.

We've also done the 3x Yakima crossbars that attach to the factory LC rails and that's good for the RTT. Still have them if someone wants to buy them.
 
I have a eezi-awn k9 Like jm 89. I have 3 alu boxes, gas tanks, firewood and a 270. More than strong enough to stand on it full loaded and move stuff around. Love it.
 
Stock works really well, and is effectively silent with negligible mileage penalty. The current issue is some of the adapters to put yakima parts onto them are NLA.. I was lucky and scored both horizontal and the more rare vertical mount adapters, which allow my snow sports racks (winter) and shovel (summer) to bolt right up.

If you do remove the aftermarket stuff heed the warnings about the captive nuts above the headliner.. they have given plenty of competent people some big headaches.
So i was watching the prinsu install video. it looks like they use these "plusnuts"? in theory, i should be able to undo the prinsu roof rack bolts and put in a LC bar...

1787789914103.webp


1787789874912.webp



The LC200 uses these...


1787790081508.webp

Why the LX didn't come with this is mind boggling..
And I doubt the previous installers used them like this fellow member suggested:
 
interesting the victory rack comes all the way forward. i wonder if you (without the additional cargo on top) get better MPG compared to the prinsu.
I lost about 1-1.5 mpg drop i believe. On my road trips i could achieve 16-17mpg highway with this setup (with stock wheels and tires).

Rack + RTT does increase wind noise. fortunately with my make shift fairing extension i removed all whistling noise that i got from the RTT.
 
So i was watching the prinsu install video. it looks like they use these "plusnuts"? in theory, i should be able to undo the prinsu roof rack bolts and put in a LC bar...

View attachment 4201972

View attachment 4201971


The LC200 uses these...


View attachment 4201973
Why the LX didn't come with this is mind boggling..
And I doubt the previous installers used them like this fellow member suggested:

When i did my install i purchased the OEM brackets like above and ziptied them on so they dont drop. But yes, you could use Rivnuts instead. I chose to go with the OEM solution even though i have the proper rivnut tool and plenty of rivnuts hah.
 
I lost about 1-1.5 mpg drop i believe. On my road trips i could achieve 16-17mpg highway with this setup (with stock wheels and tires).

Rack + RTT does increase wind noise. fortunately with my make shift fairing extension i removed all whistling noise that i got from the RTT.
I got about 16.3 mpg average (~2250 miles, 15.1 to 17.4) on my trip to CO last month with the Prinsu roof rack. (32" R/T tires).
All things considered that's not bad at all.
 
When i did my install i purchased the OEM brackets like above and ziptied them on so they dont drop. But yes, you could use Rivnuts instead. I chose to go with the OEM solution even though i have the proper rivnut tool and plenty of rivnuts hah.
ya good call. i am sure they used the plusnut on mine. no way to verify without removing the bolt..

i am just gonna remove some crossbars for now to make washing the car easier. aesthetics alone are not worth removing the roof rack. i also have 4 lights on there...
 
When i did my install i purchased the OEM brackets like above and ziptied them on so they dont drop. But yes, you could use Rivnuts instead. I chose to go with the OEM solution even though i have the proper rivnut tool and plenty of rivnuts hah.
this seems like good advice. people might be undoing one bolt at a time and twisting the bracket off...so slowly undoing both might keep it in place.
~5 mins in..
 
IMG_1070.webp


Previous owner put a Gobi rack and some lights on it. I’m 100% sure I wouldn’t have done it if I was starting from scratch but since it was already there, I have learned to love it.

It’s great for loading stuff. I came from a Tundra and this is my first SUV, once I figured out you can stand on the tire to load stuff, I started to use it alot more.

The light set up is pretty cool. Not sure what the intent of the side lights was tho. My son LOVES climbing on top of this thing too, so that brings me joy.

IMG_1397.webp
 
this seems like good advice. people might be undoing one bolt at a time and twisting the bracket off...so slowly undoing both might keep it in place.
~5 mins in..

yea for the 1st gen LX570 you can get away with carefully removing the bolts one by one (without an impact) since the assembly is held on by a small clip that could work itself out.

For us 2nd Gen LX570 we were blessed with a low profile rack which required the liner to be dropped. :bang: and we didnt have the OEM threaded brackets or the retention clip hah.

Another thing i did before my install was claybar + Wrapped the top black. This way it protects the paint since its not going to be washed at all anymore.
 
So when we say “OEM” roof rack, the below photo demonstrates what I mean. Factory from Toyota Gibraltar, and it’s amazing. Would be nice it if it was full length, but I’ll not be swapping it for aftermarket any time soon. Light weight, lots of tie down space, and does the job. Not to mention it came with the Cruiser.

IMG_8489.webp
 
yea for the 1st gen LX570 you can get away with carefully removing the bolts one by one (without an impact) since the assembly is held on by a small clip that could work itself out.

For us 2nd Gen LX570 we were blessed with a low profile rack which required the liner to be dropped. :bang: and we didnt have the OEM threaded brackets or the retention clip hah.

Another thing i did before my install was claybar + Wrapped the top black. This way it protects the paint since its not going to be washed at all anymore.
smart. but i would have wrapped it white haha...would be a lot cooler!
 
Ive just got the factory rack and then when I need to haul something up there, Ive got a Yakima full length basket rack. Its pretty light and I can intall it by myself in about 10 minutes. When Im back from my trip, I take it back off and put it in the basement. I think its basically the same as the rack that comes on the Heritage Edition but its the full length version. (Load Warrior?) It came on another LC I bought years ago then sold, but I kept the rack. Im sure you could score them pretty cheap off FB marketplace. Ive also got a Yakima rooftop tent that I can attach to my factory rack, and when not using that I hoist it up in my garage. Ive got the Yakima Kayak mounts that attach to my factory rack, and the Yakima ski mounts that I also just attach to factory rack. But If im not using it, I want it off. I like the flexibility of this little system.

IMG_3122.webp

IMG_6917.webp
IMG_2245.webp
IMG_6980.webp
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom