1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMT My War

Discussion in 'HardCore Corner' started by abrogate, Jan 12, 2018.

1. abrogate

abrogate

Media:
    Albums:
    Not sure where to start, but I'm almost finished with my new buggy. I have been doing some test and tune at our farm and trying to see what needs addressed before tearing it down to finish weld and paint.

I started this buggy by cutting my old one apart in 2011. Worst decision of my life, maybe second to when I sold my '78 FJ40. I wanted a larger engine and and automatic, but things snowballed into nearly a seven year struggle to juggle life and affording my dream buggy. I was determined to see it through and ultimately I have. There were times where I really hated this monkey on my back, but here it is:

I used to be a Pirate guy and have been on Mud as a lurker for years. Pirate is dead to me, but Mud seems to still be like things used to be. I'm trying to get back into 4 wheeling and trail riding. The evolution of offload over the past 20 years I have been paying attention to it has come so far. However, I kinda loathe the rock bouncer domination the midwest sees. I also could care less about racing, because I am not a competitive person. So I built a trail truck.

Basic Specs:

Full custom buggy built by me
    5.3/TH400/205/203
    Chevy D60 Front
    Shaved 14B Rear
    Full Hydro steering
    16" Sway A Way coil over w/ remote reservoirs Front
    14" Fox Air shocks Rear
    4" Fox Air bumps all four corners
    20 gal cell
    PRP seats
    Other stuff.

I haven't posted on a forum for years now. I have bailed off Facebook, but still use Instagram, thrillkilld. Photobucket lost all of my old posts in the ether, so I will have to slowly upload build process photos to Mud. I have tons and tons of photos that I will try to choose the best of to show my years (lol) of progress.

Enjoy

Dave

CreeperSleeper and White Stripe like this.
  2. abrogate

abrogate

Media:
    Albums:
    Since the buggy is about 95% done, I'll try to start at the beginning and show how the progression went.

First and foremost, my old Toyota truggy was too anemic to keep up with the guys in the offroad club, so I needed a bigger motor. My propane powered 4.3 was truly enough, but my ego wouldn't let the V6 suffice. I figured that I would get a 5.3 and swap it in while also swapping some FJ40 sheet metal on.

I initially thought I would fly through this project, but the hurdles started showing up immediately. I wanted a larger motor, but it wouldn't fit, so I thought I would gut my old frame from the roll cage and build a 4 link subframe system in place. This would improve the existing suspension and allow me to stuff the 5.3 in a little easier. This started the avalanche.

I wanted to have a quick solution for the subframe and I had been following the Evo chassis by Bent Fab. I contacted him to see if he would sell just the lower half of his chassis and he agreed to. While I could have easily made this piece, I wanted to expedite the process. Good intentions, but .....

3. abrogate

abrogate

Media:
    Albums:
    I have been a welder/fabricator on and off since graduating college. I have been around quite a few industrial jig tables/acorn tables and wanted something to build my new chassis off of. I built a 5x10 table, 18" tall. I should have had a hole pattern water jetted, but I ended up doing it smooth. This is the way to go, holes or not. Having a conductive, level work surface that you can pull to makes for an easier time when you are a solo builder. I have had a few helping hands, but not often.

I basically mocked up everything in full compression and built from there. You'll notice the background changes in the photos. I bought a house, moved off the farm and split my tools between the farm shop and my house. I never really appreciated the 1500 SF shop as much as when I started trying to build out of a 19x20 garage. The 30 minute drive between my large tools and my house became an issue in staying motivated.

4. abrogate

abrogate

Media:
    Albums:
    Once I got all settled in at our house, I decided I would move forward on completing the 2x3 frame. A little math and got a few miters on the frame that helped shape the base of the buggy.

I made my motor mounts on my plasma table. They sneak right around my LS6 factory manifolds.

5. abrogate

abrogate

Media:
    Albums:
    I wrapped up the front of the frame with an integrated winch mount. The large rectangular opening is for using the winch as a suck down. The large plate also serves to protect the radiator from sticks. My old truggy had a radiator hole from a stick coming up from beneath, so I wanted to address this.

6. abrogate

abrogate

Media:
    Albums:
    At this point, I started the tube work. I wanted some rolled tubing in the cage, but not over done. I ended up doing it in a few spots, but rolling tube is a different art form from bending tube. In my work life, I have worked with an Eagle Roller for years and they are amazing and do not compare to the hobby version I bought. All of my contact tubes are .188" wall 1.75" DOM. This is tough to roll on my Swag Hulk even with the power conversion.

I did not want a stinger on this buggy. s***s played. I decided for more of a push bar. I like it.

My sliders are .188" also

The midline of the chassis is super basic. I wanted this for the simplicity of building the lower half first, then allowing for the upper half to be a complete section.

The floor cross members are tucked tight. I like to wedge s*** in place, but also like when things are removable without a grinder/torch.

7. abrogate

abrogate

Media:
    Albums:
    After getting most of the roof done, I started trimming a 72 FJ40 cowl to work with my chassis. I rolled a cowl tube, continued the windshield spreaders out to the fender and started beneath the hood.

I triangulated the B pillar and tied everything into nodes. There are very few dead tubes in the cage.

Here is an approximate head clearance shot of my wife. She isn't as tall as me, but I have plenty of clearance, even with a helmet.

8. abrogate

abrogate

Media:
    Albums:
    Since I decided stingers are for mall crawlers, I needed to have some legit form of protection for my engine and radiator. I wanted an engine cage that tied into the coil over mounts and provided for an upper radiator mount.

I also added a slightly rolled tube to tie my slider into my midline.

Out back, I started to try to figure out my shock mounts and make accommodations for my swaybar

Ultimately, the 16" Fox airshocks were too long for how I built my chassis. I felt like and idiot, because I had them on hand and somehow they still didn't fit. I ended up with 14" shocks in the end.

9. abrogate

abrogate

Media:
    Albums:
  10. abrogate

abrogate

Media:
    Albums:
  11. abrogate

abrogate

Media:
    Albums:
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  12. abrogate

abrogate

Media:
    Albums:
    Under the hood was interesting. I wanted a stock, uncut hood. Everything had to fit beneath the hood. I mentioned earlier how I like to build somewhat tight, so I started wedging stuff in. Under the hood I have a 2 qt. Accusump, oil dump solenoid block, PS heatsink, remote oil filter, PS filter/resi, two remote resins, electrical center, coolant overflow, steering valve, dual MC's, catch can... probably some other stuff I am forgetting.

I built some basic floorpans and a trans hump out of .125" 6061. The whole system is installed with nutserts and is easily removed with the seats installed. The ECM mounts to the top of the trans hump.

I bought some Holley valve covers years ago and later read some reviews about their PCV system not working well. I designed and built a catch can to work with a LS7 valley cover. Hopefully I am not a mosquito fogger on the trail....

I LOVE wiring. I was excited to build this harness and make it fit my exact needs. I have yet to finish wiring the rest of the buggy, but the drivability electric is done. I couldn't fit my old Warn solenoid where I wanted, so I went with an Albright Solenoid. The remote winch plug is hidden behind the headlight.

13. abrogate

abrogate

Media:
    Albums:
  14. abrogate

abrogate

Media:
    Albums:
    I have a 74 FJ40 at the farm waiting for some attention. The buggy on 42's next to a FJ40 on 31's, I think I have a decent lowrider.

I also have a 71 Bronco on 31's ;)

I've bragged enough...

Testing at the farm has been fun and I have found that I need to modify the rear driveshaft. I broke a front shock shaft due to not having limit straps. The suspension is awesome. It has great characteristics. I have rebuilt the front shocks and have some baseline shock tuning at this time. This is a huge difference from my last offroad rig.

Thanks for looking. I will continue to update this while I finish the rest of the project. If anyone has questions, I got answers.

Sputnik40, Redgrrr, gpfj40 and 3 others like this.
  15. White Stripe

White Stripe

Nice. Looks like u have a fair amount of time in tube work.

abrogate likes this.
  16. 74fj40

74fj40

Looks awesome! Nice and low

abrogate likes this.
  17. GLTHFJ60

GLTHFJ60 Rum Runnin' SILVER Star

Wow! Very impressive.

abrogate likes this.
Tags: