(DIY) How to Adjust Handbrake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's How to Adjust Handbrake Land Cruiser 200 (GX-4,7L V8 )
It's very easy job,,,
here we go

1.jpg

2.jpg

lift up

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I use 13mm spanner

6.jpg

Thank you for this write up!

I thought the two (cockpit and rear) were interactive and both needed addressing though I have not actually done it to my 200.

How/what releases the cupholder from where it's seated? Any final thoughts on whether it's ok to adjust it from the top like this? Thx S1

How/what releases the cupholder from where it's seated? Any final thoughts on whether it's ok to adjust it from the top like this? Thx S1
you just pull really hard on the cupholders and they pop out

i was told for my '11 LX that the cool box would have to be removed. does pulling the cupholders expose the same adjustment nut on the LX? thanks.

Yes. Just as easy

On my 2011, I was able to adjust the handbrake as described - thanks for the info! Also, I just changed my rear brake pads and rotors, and the original rotors from factory had a rubber stopper where you'd normally use the flat head screwdriver to adjust eBrake. I used OEM rotors for my replacements (thanks @beno !) and plugged the same hole with the stopper.

One observation I had under the cup holder cavity, it was a dang mess! Previous owner must have had a constant supply of 7-11 Slurpees sloshing around in there. Any of you gents have a tip for cleaning this out, at least enough to prevent any sugar corrosion? Doesn't have to be hospital-grade sanitary, but don't want any of those electrical bits to haunt me in the future. And, I don't want to be the cause of any problem by cleaning it out incorrectly.

I think it hss been over a year since I cleaned mine, i poured water and tried to clean with a microfiber cloth, then with wd-40 and finally sprayed it with brake cleaner. This is what it's like now.

20160315_210953.jpg

I LIKE these kinds of write ups! Awesome!

My handbrake won't always lock when pulling up. It will just fall back down. Will this help the handbrake engage? Or will I need to adjust at the rear brakes.

Is the release button "out" when you pull the handle up. If it is not, then the ratchet is disengaged. Just as if you pressed the release button.

Also, the adjustment in the cockpit assumes the pad/shoe settings at the rear brakes are within spec. This governs the compensation range.

^^^ this.

The e-brake shoes are adjusted on the rear axle through the removable rubber plug on the rear disk brake.

The e-brake handle under the cup holder is only to adjust the travel free play of the cable. NOT to tighten the brake shoes on the rear axle.

Attachments

• LC200 E-Brake Adjustment.pdf
    66.3 KB · Views: 939
Is the release button "out" when you pull the handle up. If it is not, then the ratchet is disengaged. Just as if you pressed the release button.

I messed around with it and the button is not fully extended. I can pull the button out with my fingers and it will engage the ratchet. Should I try lubrication on the mechanism and if so where do I lubricate it?

Last edited:
^^^ this.

The e-brake shoes are adjusted on the rear axle through the removable rubber plug on the rear disk brake.

The e-brake handle under the cup holder is only to adjust the travel free play of the cable. NOT to tighten the brake shoes on the rear axle.
Will the back up at high speed and pull the handle work to advance the auto adjuster?

Will the back up at high speed and pull the handle work to advance the auto adjuster?

No. They don’t need constant adjustment like normal drum brakes because they aren’t the primary rear axle brakes.

The only actual shoe adjustment is the star wheel that has a spring over the side to keep it from moving on its own, accessed through the disk brake hole with rubber plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom