DIY Coolant Valley Leak Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just finished this on our GX460. Purchased at 151k and currently has 158k on it. My quote from the Lexus dealer was $1834. Couldnt have done it without this thread and others comments. I never did get that 10mm off for the fuel line with the intake in place, had to pull it out part way like someone else mentioned, worked great. I think it took me 9 hours over 3 days at a leisurely pace.

Had the typical pink crustys. Also found a critter bed/nest. must have been from the previous owners. No critters in my garage.
valley1.jpg

Dont forget step 6. Repeat as needed.

valley2.jpg

I decided to shelve a kit of parts should this occur on my 460. Just did another coolant change this week with hoses and thermostat also replaced.

I have already replaced PCV but cheap enough to easily replace with intake plenum off to replace.

Nothing to indicate my vehicle has issue but don’t want to deal with ordering parts when or if this occurs in future… that wiring harness for example could be a harder part to find in the future.

This is a list of parts suggested for replacement throughout this thread while doing this repair.

I will pick up FIPG if failure occurs.

Order Contents:
P/N​
Quantity​
Price Each​
Description​
9676135035​
$ 3.85​
Engine Coolant Pipe O-Ring
O(FOR WATER INLET HOUSING); O(FOR WATER INLET).
827112A620​
$ 5.44​
CLAMP, WIRING HARNES
8221960100​
$ 34.14​
WIRE, SENSOR
2568538010​
$ 3.39​
GASKET, EGR COOLER, NO. 1
2562938010​
$ 3.23​
GASKET, EGR PIPE, NO. 2
171710S030​
$ 14.38​
Engine Intake Manifold Gasket
INTAKE MANIFOLD TO HEAD, NO. 1; INTAKE MANIFOLD TO HEAD, NO. 2.
1629438010​
$ 7.33​
Engine Coolant Hose
1628238050​
$ 11.22​
Engine Coolant Hose
1220438010​
$ 7.04​
PCV Valve

Last edited:
I decided to shelve a kit of parts should this occur on my 460. Just did another coolant change this week with hoses and thermostat also replaced.

I have already replaced PCV but cheap enough to easily replace with intake plenum off to replace.

Nothing to indicate my vehicle has issue but don’t want to deal with ordering parts when or if this occurs in future… that wiring harness for example could be a harder part to find in the future.

This is a list of parts suggested for replacement throughout this thread while doing this repair.

I will pick up FIPG if failure occurs.

Order Contents:
P/N​
Quantity​
Price Each​
Description​
9676135035​
$ 3.85​
Engine Coolant Pipe O-Ring
O(FOR WATER INLET HOUSING); O(FOR WATER INLET).
827112A620​
$ 5.44​
CLAMP, WIRING HARNES
8221960100​
$ 34.14​
WIRE, SENSOR
2568538010​
$ 3.39​
GASKET, EGR COOLER, NO. 1
2562938010​
$ 3.23​
GASKET, EGR PIPE, NO. 2
171710S030​
$ 14.38​
Engine Intake Manifold Gasket
INTAKE MANIFOLD TO HEAD, NO. 1; INTAKE MANIFOLD TO HEAD, NO. 2.
1629438010​
$ 7.33​
Engine Coolant Hose
1628238050​
$ 11.22​
Engine Coolant Hose
1220438010​
$ 7.04​
PCV Valve
Looks like cheap enough insurance, depending up what that wire harness may run.

We will only know over time if later years are immune to the leak but saw a Lexus tech today on another GX site report he generally sees issue on 2010-2016 at this point but hasn‘t seen it occur yet on 2018+ models.

Average of 90k-140k miles at 7-10 years

Getting up the nerve to tackle this on our 2010 GX. Thanks to all for the tips.
Go get 'er done, cowboy!
(and share the pic's as you go along!)

So my buddy with a 2011 GX just found out he has this leak. Good news for me is now I have a buddy to help me with this repair as I'm going to help him with his!
I have a question about cleaning the EGR cooler. Do you just spray carb cleaner into it until it runs clean?

So my buddy with a 2011 GX just found out he has this leak. Good news for me is now I have a buddy to help me with this repair as I'm going to help him with his!
I have a question about cleaning the EGR cooler. Do you just spray carb cleaner into it until it runs clean?
GX460 Bob actually has a video on this that may be helpful. Both for cleaning and replacing the EGR

I got the wiring harness clip off of the drivers side of the back of the intake manifold, but can't imagine how anyone would be able to release the clip on the passenger side, or get to that bolt. Do you guys just pry between the manifold and the black plastic loom until the clip breaks? If so, is that when you can get access to the bolt? I can't even feel the bolt head or the clip itself. I'm contemplating just disconnecting the fuel line on either side and pulling the manifold that way.

I got the wiring harness clip off of the drivers side of the back of the intake manifold, but can't imagine how anyone would be able to release the clip on the passenger side, or get to that bolt. Do you guys just pry between the manifold and the black plastic loom until the clip breaks? If so, is that when you can get access to the bolt? I can't even feel the bolt head or the clip itself. I'm contemplating just disconnecting the fuel line on either side and pulling the manifold that way.
Don't worry about breaking the clips.
Amazon product ASIN B07K8KGV4X

Yeah, just wedge a screw driver or pry tool on there, being careful about what you pry against, and force the wire loom off.

If I recall, the bolt is more accessible with the wire loom loose, at least it’s a slightly easier target, it’ll still be hard to get to and tricky to unscrew.

Thank you, I'll give that a whirl tonight. Another question, do the intake manifold gaskets come in a set or do I need to order 2 of the part # 17171-0S030?

Thank you, I'll give that a whirl tonight. Another question, do the intake manifold gaskets come in a set or do I need to order 2 of the part # 17171-0S030?

The part number is for an individual gasket, you will need two of them, they are identical gaskets just flipped in orientation for installation.

Well, did you get it figured out?
Not yet. I went ahead and disconnected the fuel line on both sides, but I still can't pull the manifold off. I got the back passenger side bolt loose, but it's still in place. I'm not sure if it's that bolt still holding it down or if it's the wire loom clip on the passenger side. Going to attack it again tomorrow.

Not yet. I went ahead and disconnected the fuel line on both sides, but I still can't pull the manifold off. I got the back passenger side bolt loose, but it's still in place. I'm not sure if it's that bolt still holding it down or if it's the wire loom clip on the passenger side. Going to attack it again tomorrow.

Have you broke the intake manifold free from the seal it has with the head? If not, it’s got a decent little hold on it and might be just holding on through normal gasket friction.

Just a thought I figured I’d mention….though I’m guessing that’s not you’re issue.

Have you broke the intake manifold free from the seal it has with the head? If not, it’s got a decent little hold on it and might be just holding on through normal gasket friction.

Just a thought I figured I’d mention….though I’m guessing that’s not you’re issue.
The seal is broken. I can lift the front of the manifold off the studs and shift it towards the passenger side about a half an inch. The rear of the manifold won't shift in any direction.
Also, the back passenger side manifold bolt is loose, but still sitting in the hole. I'm not sure how to even get it out. There is a small chance it's still hanging on by a thread, literally, but I can't get my hand in there to pull it out. Any suggestions there?

Last edited:
The seal is broken. I can lift the front of the manifold off the studs and shift it towards the passenger side about a half an inch. The rear of the manifold won't shift in any direction.
Also, the back passenger side manifold bolt is loose, but still sitting in the hole. I'm not sure how to even get it out. There is a small chance it's still hanging on by a thread, literally, but I can't get my hand in there to pull it out. Any suggestions there?

Ahh gotcha. I used a short socket on an extension to back that bolt out and then used a magnet on a stick to grab it and retrieve it. If you’re using a socket and don’t have a magnet, I’ve used something like electrical or painters tape over the open end of the socket and then press the socket onto the bolt and that extra tape taking up some room inside the sockets lets it have a friction fit that grabs and holds the bolt head.

If your socket is running into the fuel line as you back out that bolt the last few turns, then you could use a Phillips screwdriver to back it out those last few turns, I believe my bolts had a Phillips head relief cut into them. Then a magnet, sticky tape or needle nose pliers to help grab the bolt head and retrieve it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom