DIY Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got tired of all the $1000 winch bumper options.

Had local fab shop make me a channel out of 52" of 1/4" plate.

I notched out for the spring perches on the underside of the frame.

I did a 30 degree pie cut 6" in from the ends bent in and rewelded.

I will use 90 degree 1/4" plate welded to the outside of the frame and bolt through the face of the bumper to attach.

Waiting for steering gear to get fitment right for planetary winch plate.
20190830_161405.jpg
20190830_162046.jpg
20190830_162051.jpg
20190830_191440.jpg
20190830_191446.jpg

Do aquala do Shackle Reversals on their frames stock or is that an option ?

Do aquala do Shackle Reversals on their frames stock or is that an option ?
They do the suspension stuff to order. I am doing an overland style rig, something decent on the hwy and fun on trails. They suggested reversal.

However, the rear axle is really far back in order to fit the tires in the wheel wells so it is making some issues.

They do the suspension stuff to order. I am doing an overland style rig, something decent on the hwy and fun on trails. They suggested reversal.

However, the rear axle is really far back in order to fit the tires in the wheel wells so it is making some issues.

Sorry the rear axle is really far back so that is making issues for the SR ?

1000.00 winch bumpers for a 40? We have six winch bumpers that range from 264.00 to 495.00 without powder, 345.00 to 555.00
with powder. We do have one 995.00 bumper but it's huge, like the old ARB, and doesn't really sell. I'd have removed it from the web if my web guy hadn't disappeared.

1000.00 winch bumpers for a 40? We have six winch bumpers that range from 264.00 to 495.00 without powder, 345.00 to 555.00
with powder. We do have one 995.00 bumper but it's huge, like the old ARB, and doesn't really sell. I'd have removed it from the web if my web guy hadn't disappeared.
Those are USD prices, once I pay for shipping, apply a 30% exchange rate and pay 13% tax on all of that plus shipping it reaches about $1000 in my shop!

I've always wondered why there aren't a couple builders in Canada . I feel for my customers when I ship to Canada. the shipping
goes up 50 % even if it only travels ten miles over the border. I always suggest shipping to a freight center on the US side. It saves
a couple hundred dollars on a 200 lb pallet. The US border is dotted with companies that will hold freight for pickup on the US side.
I have a 325lb pallet going to Toronto. Shipping to Buffalo it's 289.00 but 50 miles north it's 519.00 plus the customs hassel.
Canada has a good outdoor market yet few if any builders for 4x4 parts.

JT Outfitters has a comically cheap bumper for 8274s, I was planning on doing some OEM bumper cut down + custom 8274 mount, but am happy with this at less than I could build anything:

I've always wondered why there aren't a couple builders in Canada . I feel for my customers when I ship to Canada. the shipping
goes up 50 % even if it only travels ten miles over the border. I always suggest shipping to a freight center on the US side. It saves
a couple hundred dollars on a 200 lb pallet. The US border is dotted with companies that will hold freight for pickup on the US side.
I have a 325lb pallet going to Toronto. Shipping to Buffalo it's 289.00 but 50 miles north it's 519.00 plus the customs hassel.
Canada has a good outdoor market yet few if any builders for 4x4 parts.
Yeah, it really sux. I do have a mailbox in Washington state but now I live 8+ hours from the border so for a heavy item would be looking at another shipper or driving down there myself.

Smaller stuff I pick up when flying through Vancouver, then I do it as checked baggage.

Alas a bumper wouldnt work.

Last edited:
It’s your truck, so do as you please, but personally, I wouldn’t want a bumper that’s stronger than my frame. Nice work though.

It’s your truck, so do as you please, but personally, I wouldn’t want a bumper that’s stronger than my frame. Nice work though.
I would say the bumper is a 1/4" channel and the frame is 2x4x1/4" so comparable I figure.

I am mounting it with tabs welded to the frame end so in a crash I would expect the bumper to maintain the frame end distance and allow everything else to buckle.

Main goal of the bumper is to finish the end of the truck and provide a mounting point for my winch.

I used inspiration from 4plus, arb, pinterest, etc so it's really a mishmash, but 3/16 or 1/4" plate construction is pretty much universal.

JT Outfitters has a comically cheap bumper for 8274s, I was planning on doing some OEM bumper cut down + custom 8274 mount, but am happy with this at less than I could build anything:

So that bumper is basically the channel I had made with a bit of fab. The channel I had made cost me $100 canadian locally. That one is 3/16" vs 1/4" so I probably could have got that for $75 or so.

I know the purists like that 8274 winch but there are so many great winch choices when you have the option of a planetary winch (and WAY cheaper) I got a smittybilt xrc 9.5 with synthetic rope for $600 delivered, Canadian. Really impressed with the build quality on it so far, much better than my warn vr10,000 (actually a terrible product).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom