Distributor Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bmorgan

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm wondering if anyone has used this: Aftermarket Distributor

My wife and I both drive 80s. And I have a parts 80. My wife's leaks a lot of oil. A few months ago, I noticed the oil was even on top of the alternator, so .... popped the cap and there was oil. It's dripping down to the belts which is slinging it everywhere. I pulled the one from my parts truck and put it in hers. It's still leaking - it MIGHT actually be worse. Anyway - here I am. $400 - $500 for an OEM or $80 for that one.

Thoughts or experience? Thank you!

Try to buy just the distributor. Not the 'loaded' one with cap and rotor. Way less for some reason. I got one from a mud member. Cruiser Addiction might be his online store. Didnt see it on the site but I got a new OEM dist. for less than that. Can get cap, rotor, dist. separate for less.
@Akella
?

Last edited:
Thanks - yeah, cap and rotor are in good shape.

I'm wondering if anyone has used this: Aftermarket Distributor

My wife and I both drive 80s. And I have a parts 80. My wife's leaks a lot of oil. A few months ago, I noticed the oil was even on top of the alternator, so .... popped the cap and there was oil. It's dripping down to the belts which is slinging it everywhere. I pulled the one from my parts truck and put it in hers. It's still leaking - it MIGHT actually be worse. Anyway - here I am. $400 - $500 for an OEM or $80 for that one.

Thoughts or experience? Thank you!

@bmorgan two distributors that leak sound suspicious to me, when you opened the dis you pulled from your part rig did it had oil in it?

I think you may have overpressure in the head space because of a blocked vent, when did you change your grommet and ventilation valve?

‏‏לכידה.JPG

Last edited:
These distributors eventually leak. The o-ring on the shaft you can simply replace. The internal one, not so much. I've got 2 used at home that leak and one on the wagon that doesn't. The internal seal I've not seen or even read about being successfully replaced. Its stepped or odd in some way.

I am using this one in mine. About 2 years now. When I got the 80 my alternator was soaked. There was plenty of oil in the cap so i wasn't lucky enough to just have to replace the o-ring. Few weeks later the alternator died. Don't think they like being oiled so much.

@bmorgan two distributors that leak sound suspicious to me, when you opened the dis you pulled from your part rig did it had oil in it?

I think you may have overpressure in the head space because of a blocked vent, when did you change your grommet and ventilation valve?

View attachment 2017563
That's an interesting idea. I admit: two spindles is suspect.

I'll look into the emissions. I can see seepage around the PCV, so I need to at least replace the gasket there. But it seems like you would see seepage around the valve cover gasket. There is nothing there. Granted, it looked like the PO used a good bit of FIPG around the half moon blanks. Maybe they used FIPG around the entire valve cover and it's just very tight.

It's her daily and it' been doing it for months. I know it's not a huge rush, but it hasn't been a rush. It's been going on for months. But to see oil dripping onto the top of the accessory belts... Seems like enough to be curious about.

Thanks everyone.

I am using this one in mine. About 2 years now. When I got the 80 my alternator was soaked. There was plenty of oil in the cap so i wasn't lucky enough to just have to replace the o-ring. Few weeks later the alternator died. Don't think they like being oiled so much.

That might be the ticket. Per Mr Dino's post, it does seem odd that TWO spindles leaked. I'm going to put this dist. into by amazon cart and hold onto it just in case. Thank you.

Mark the position on the old one, Clean it up and keep it with the vehicle. If the new one dies then you can limp home on the old leaky one. That's my logic ha

Update: I replaced the OEM distributor with this one I found on amazon. $70. I changed out the electronics with the old just to be sure. I set the gap and put it on. So far it's working great. No more leak. I can FINALLY stop adding oil every week. And oil isn't being flung all over the engine from the belts. So far, it's going great!

Three/ four weeks. No issues.

Three/ four weeks. No issues.

After this many years months, how would you rate the distributor you used? (I read your 'joined' date and not the thread date...

After this many years months, how would you rate the distributor you used? (I read your 'joined' date and not the thread date...

No issues and no more leaking. So far, very happy. Of course, i used the original electronics but i don't have any reason to think the new electronics wouldn't work. Just make sure to set your gap.

No issues and no more leaking. So far, very happy. Of course, i used the original electronics but i don't have any reason to think the new electronics wouldn't work. Just make sure to set your gap.

By 'electronics' do you mean cap/rotor?

By 'electronics' do you mean cap/rotor?
I used the original cap, rotor, and internals (points, etc.) If you are unfamiliar with the internals, I'm happy to help you set the points. Very easy. Just need a feeler gauge and a screwdriver.

I used the original cap, rotor, and internals (points, etc.) If you are unfamiliar with the internals, I'm happy to help you set the points. Very easy. Just need a feeler gauge and a screwdriver.

Thank you! I've got a mechanic buddy, so I'll likely rely on him for install and points help. I appreciate all the info @bmorgan

I used the original cap, rotor, and internals (points, etc.) If you are unfamiliar with the internals, I'm happy to help you set the points. Very easy. Just need a feeler gauge and screwdriver.

Correction - I think I did use the new cap and rotor. I don't remember. I was more worried about the new points. But like I said, I'm sure all the new stuff would have worked just fine. But the original electronics all worked - I just had a bad leak, so I really only needed the housing. I figured I didn't want to fix what wasn't broken and I didn't want to add another variable to an otherwise working system.

But let me know if I can help in any way.

Correction - I think I did use the new cap and rotor. I don't remember. I was more worried about the new points. But like I said, I'm sure all the new stuff would have worked just fine. But the original electronics all worked - I just had a bad leak, so I really only needed the housing. I figured I didn't want to fix what wasn't broken and I didn't want to add another variable to an otherwise working system.

But let me know if I can help in any way.

All good info! I'm bookmarking this thread for future reference. Thank you again
🖐 (internet high five)

How many miles have you put on the aftermarket distributor so far,
and have you popped the distributor cap off to check for internal oil
leaks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom