Disc brakes 68 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kiley7483

New project
Threads
What is the cheapest way to put disc brakes on my fj40 dont have to be factory what is best fit for a working man

The all-Toyota front discs gets my vote, doing rear discs too? Talk to Poser.

If your 68 is like my 68 it has the ball and claw and not Birfield front end. A whole front axle from a 76-78 would bolt in. Later with have 3.70:1 diff. That still leaves redoing the single circuit brake lines and master cylinder. The brake lines are also smaller. 7/70 is a lot easier.

The whole, lets get a later model front axle so I can run disc front brakes, really doesn't work like it did a decade ago: First, if you can find a later model front axle (They aren't that easy to find nowadays) what shape is the entirety of that front axle.

I collected everything I needed to put a front disc brake axle in my 68. In the end just ending redoing the brakes end to end. I can step on the pedal and lock up all four wheels and no put to either side. Do not have to pump the pedal. I suggest you do your homework before buying a axle and think it's just a matter of bolting it in. 68 only has a single circuit master cylinder and brake lines. The brake lines are also smaller than 7/70 and later. There is also issue with the pedal bucket with some boosters. The early bucket didn't just bolt out like later ones. Then either need to run without a booster, buy a certain booster and adapter to clear the carb and not cut the rib between the brake and clutch master cylinders. All these issues added up just made more sense to get a later FJ40 that didn't have all these issues. This was when $1,000 FJ40s we're pretty easy to find.

Cheap does not equal safe. I don’t advocate any change that leaves 40plus year old knuckle bearings in service. Whether you buy a kit or another axle, plan on overhauling it.

Be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom