disc brake conversion ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 74' fj40 and I am wanting to do a disc conversion. The question I have is would it make more sense to do the conversion on my existing stock front end or swap front ends completely ? I can get my hands on a 1987 fj60 front axle but wasnt sure what was a better idea or cost effective. Also is the fj60 front axle the same width ? Thanks for any help you got !

It takes a bit of work to fit a 60 series axle in an fj40 but all of the outer parts from a 60 series axle you need to convert to disks will fit on your existing 40 series axle. The answers are already here if you search around a bit. Also many threads about fitting a 60 series axle in a 40 series.
There are no steering arms on the front axle you are looking at. Also the pinion flange is missing. Not worth what they are asking IMO. You may have issues getting the pinion flange back on there without having to dig deeper into that third member? Your steering arms will not fit those knuckles FYI

A few MUD vendors have "kits" available, consisting of all the parts you'd need. Not to show favorites, but my buddy @cruiserjunktion probably has what ya need!

The fj60 axle is about 3" wider than the 40 axle. It takes some fab work and effort to get the 60 axles installed. The lack of steering arms, to me would be a deal killer. Price seems steep. Also, The rear is centered

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom