Difficulty removing valve cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1.5F engine with a valve cover I've been trying to remove, but I'm having a lot of difficulty. I removed the 4 bolts on top and I was able to get underneath it in all of the areas I could reach gently using a box cutter and putty knives. I'm not sure if the valve cover has ever been changed before, but it seemed to have a significant leak when I got it, which is why I wanted to replace the gasket. Now I'm at a place of no return with the amount of gasket I've cut into. Any suggestions on what to try next? It won't even nudge a little bit yet. Am I missing another bolt somewhere?

Bowed steel valve cover. Probably glued on with gorilla snot because it’s already F’d.

If you’re not going resto, get an aluminum valve cover and call it a day.

You can put an ad in the classifieds, or you can call me. I have about a dozen on the shelf.

www.marksoffroad.net

Not interested in a full resto so I like that option. But I'll still need to figure out how to take this one off first.

If you are getting a cover from Mark then you can be pretty rough with it in my view in taking it off.

Just get a screw driver under it somewhere and gently pry it up, once it starts to come up it will come up real quick, just hard to get it started. I will have to admit I have put gasket maker on more then one valve cover that leaked a lot as a quick and cheap fix. Taken many off as well.

Or you can use a steel putty knife.

Probably the seals are stuck to the studs. Good prying should work since you have the option to replace. But be careful not to pry against any of the valve mechanism under the cover and not get any scrap pieces of anything in the valve train.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom