Difference between 3B from 70-series & BJ42? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, what would have to be done in order to be able to mount the 1988 BJ75 3B engine to my 1983 BJ42 H55f gearbox, or maybe thats not such a great idea, perhaps it would be easier to drop in the engine gearbox & transfercase from the BJ75?

Greg_B said:
Did Europe get the 12V BJ70 in 1985 as well as Canada? At least you did not get the evil center tap system to run 12V headlights?

gb

Actually I don't know, I'd never seen a early BJ7x here in germany (or I'd never seen one in real live, except the one in front of the house ;) ). The most old SWB's I know are driven in Italy, German cruiserheads love the old 42s or 55s(very rare) or the newest stuff (HZJ78, 105 etc.) ... this mid-1980s and early '90s-models are not old enough or not new enough (except of all the light duty bunderas driven by people without specialized knowledge - they just drive a "jeep") - strange I know.
But yes the european version of the 24V BJ's run 12V headlights - I never understood this!

greetingz

I'd be interested in your BJ60 bell housing...

If the other guy doesn't want it. Does anyone know if the bell housing off a BJ42 is essentially the same as a 60-series. Can I do some minor modifications suchas drilling and tapping to get the pickup from a factory tach to work?

Sthlm said:
So, what would have to be done in order to be able to mount the 1988 BJ75 3B engine to my 1983 BJ42 H55f gearbox, or maybe thats not such a great idea, perhaps it would be easier to drop in the engine gearbox & transfercase from the BJ75?
i think that is what i would do, but then i am not a perfectionist on my own vehicles...
cheers

Tonito said:
But yes the european version of the 24V BJ's run 12V headlights - I never understood this! greetingz

Interesting, thanks. I always thought it was just Canada that got the 12V evil center tap for heads on a 24V truck...

Thanks

gb

Sthlm said:
So, what would have to be done in order to be able to mount the 1988 BJ75 3B engine to my 1983 BJ42 H55f gearbox, or maybe thats not such a great idea, perhaps it would be easier to drop in the engine gearbox & transfer case from the BJ75?

There is a bunch of could be's, and maybe's...so investigate each point to determine of they will be a concern.

With all the below in consideration, and depending on what you can confirm: I would use the 1983 H55F/T-Case, and cast bellhousing, and see if that combo will attach it to the 1988 3B, then see what you need to do to attach to your exhaust/linkages/pipes. There will likely be some customization. If you go this route...I am not responsible :D

1) Rotary pump vs. inline. If the 88-3B is rotary (or even a late model inline like the 13BT) is will return at least 1lpm of fuel, to the fuel tank. This will require running a return line as Bruce mentioned. Drop the fuel tank, add a two tube pickup/return set-up. I believe a late model FJ tube cap would do the trick. I think the part number might be in the depths of our website.

2) You may have a clearance issue with the starter and the rotary pump in a cast bellhousing situation. I am not sure. I know for 13BT equipped trucks, inline pump, with H55F and aluminium bellhousing, the starter solenoid is clocked quite a bit over to make room for the AC idle-up linkage. My guess is you will be ok, as the rotary pump came standard in the JDM market on the 3B engines for most of the 1980's it seems...but you won't know till you try or someone confirms ok.

3) Is the 1988 H55F vacuum shift? You "may" have clearance issues at the frame where the vacuum pot resides if you try and use the vacuum shift t-case on a 40 series frame. I know people have worked around this with a number of swaps...There are part numbers posted on Mud from rick_d and Beanz that will let you swtich over to manual.

4) See if your 1983 alternator will fit into the 1988 alt bracket system. It should, but something on the housing might have changed. This way the internal/external regulator issue will not be a concern.

5) Is the 1988 H55F 34mm or 38mm idler? It should be 38mm. You could swap your entire 1983 t-case over to the 1988 H55F, to maintain the manual shift linkage if you want the newer H55F, but you then have the shift cover to deal with. If your current set-up is fine...why fuss with it.

6) The older 3B clutch disc and PP are 260mm. I am not sure if for ease of production they increased the diameter of the pp/disc to 275mm for the late model 3B’s…(as is the 12HT/1HZ/13BT). This bears investigation, but can be worked around.

7) If you have to use the larger clutch and pressure plate to match the late model flywheel, the inside of the cast bellhousing will hit the pp.

8) Even with that, I would consider using the cast bellhousing that you have. It will eliminate having to play with the transmission supports from the clocked aluminium housing.

9) If you use the cast bellhousing, and if the clutch/pp combo are 275mm, I know of one person here who marked the pp with paint, attached everything loosely, turned the engine by hand to mark the spots where the pp hits the inside of the cast bellhousing, and ground it for clearance. I did not see how much had to be removed, but he did not seem concerned.

10) Alternatively, you could use the aluminium bellhousing, manufacture new brackets for the transmission support, letting the transmission sit where it needs to due to the new clocked angle. Be aware of Lowenbrau’s comment: You will have to be cognisant of the potential difference in fill plug location, for correct oil level.

11) Approach this swap with an open mind and good cheer. There will likely both issues that crop up to make it......interesting.

12) Forget all this and rebuild the 1983 3B...but what fun would that be...:D

hth's

gb

Last edited:
the man has some good advice...

if you are going with the t/case with the 38 idler then get the gear set from a auto HJ and stick the 2.48 gears inside

if you are going with the 34 mm then get a t/case from a 81/82 t/case and stick those gears inside for 2.29 low...

best of luck in your swap, make sur eyou post pics...

Wow, this thread definitely establishes Greg_B to be the 3B guru here ;)

(And, no, I am not hoping to get parts or vehicles cheaper from G&S by saying this ;p )

Dave

beanz2 said:
Wow, this thread definitely establishes Greg_B to be the 3B guru here ;)Dave

Thanks Beanz, however I know for a fact I am a mere babe in the woods when compared to some posters here, and a few lurkers I know of...

I simply have had the fortune of knowing some great people, being in the right place a few times that helped figure things out...and of course be the great pilpherer of others knowledge :D

In the end, it's all could be's and may be's, till someone has walked the path and figured it out for the collective.

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom