Diesel Swap Options: Your Opinions Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

I realize I'm opening a can of worms here but I find myself at a somewhat unusual crossroads and I wanted to know what the MUD hive-mind thought. I am building my 1995 FZJ80 into what will be a fairly fat fully built overlander. Overlander as in full time traveling and living in it. The plan is to eventually add a pop-top as well. I've been living on the road in North America for the majority of the last 3yrs in a 1st Gen Tacoma, so I have pretty good idea of what I'm looking for as far as livability/upgrading my current set-up.

TL/DR: OM606 vs 1HD-T Which would you do?

Frame is currently off getting a clean up & paint as well as a few other things. I had planned on installing a Mercedes OM606 with moderate upgrade (~275hp manual pump & hybrid turbo from DPUK) and mating it to a Chevy 6spd automatic (6L80). This set up should give great reliability (on the engine at least), enough power to push the fat pig around decently, and very good MPG. The main components are already in my possession (built engine ready to go, transmission, adapters) but quite a few things still to work out (engine/trans mounts, electrics, intercooler, interface/plumbing parts like power steering lines/AC lines/throttle, transmission controller, etc).

The problem is that a RHD 1HD-T with H151 just landed in my lap. The body/frame is too rusty for my taste as build a platform, but it's all there . I would want to upgrade the engine a bit before swapping it over (was thinking along the lines of a modest set up with upgraded pump/turbo/intercooler from GTurbo in the ~200hp range).

Main Goals: Reliability, Parts Availability, Ease of Repair, Enough Power for the Weight, Good (obviously not spectacular) MPGs.

My Quandry in Pros/Cons:

OM606 Build Pros:
-More Power
-Better Fuel Efficiency
-Easy Parts Availability (relatively speaking)
-Prefer Auto Trans for Offroad
OM606 Cons:
-Electronic 6L80 is likely the least reliable part of the build
-Computer set-up/tuning for the 6L80
-Custom plumbing/mounting PITA

1HD-T Pros:
-Semi-Bullet-Proof H151
-Easier bolt up/drop-in (again, relatively speaking)
-Resale value (even if current plan is never selling it)
1HD-T Cons:
-Lack of Parts Availability in the US when traveling
-Less HP/Worse MPGs
-Auto-to-Manual/RHD to LHD transmission swap PITA.

Please refrain from "don't do it" and/or "stick with the 1FZ". The truck came without a motor and the plan was always to go diesel.

I actually have both engines in my possession right now. That was never the plan but sh*t tends to find me and here we are. I do my own wrenching and am semi-competent. Well, depending on who you talk to...

Cost of either set up for me is going to be comparable. The OM606 donor came very cheap but some of the conversion parts have been expensive (adapters, rear sump, etc). The 1HD-T had a higher initial cost but needs less adapters/custom work. So it should all be pretty similar all in.

Opinions? Admonishments? Advice? Curses? Thoughts? Prayers?

Coming at this as someone who has a cummins swapped 80 Id be inclined to pick the 1HD over the Benz but purely out of Toyota bias. Tough choice.

The 6L80E would be pretty nice though, assuming the trans controller works well.

Why not a 1HDFT? - 24 valve, fits the same as a 1HDT, still all mechanical. They flow a lot better and are less heavy breathers than a 1HDT.

Its the desirable engine here in NZ/OZ.

Why not a 1HDFT? - 24 valve, fits the same as a 1HDT, still all mechanical. They flow a lot better and are less heavy breathers than a 1HDT.

Its the desirable engine here in NZ/OZ.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say... because he doesn't have one? He already has a DT so I don't think he'll be going out to purchase a third engine when he already has two ready to go.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say... because he doesn't have one? He already has a DT so I don't think he'll be going out to purchase a third engine when he already has two ready to go.

my bad, didn’t see old mate had the engine in hand

Hdt. Parts aren't really that hard to get, if you're willing to wait a week for the odd stuff. Just get a few spares to have on hand.

I agree with @Dork . I've put over 70,000 miles on my 1HDT in New England. It has been totally reliable. But, when I have needed a part, the part has been easy/quick to find. The only part that I had to wait on has been the kickdown cable for my non-electronic A442F transmission. Cruiser Outfitters was able to get it to me, but didn't have it in stock. Everything else, I've been able to find in stock.

For mods, I did get a GTurbo and PDI intercooler from AUS. Those parts did take longer. But, even with those, I got the parts in a reasonable quick manner. (Paid for a rush on the turbo and got it in 3 days)

Thanks for the replies guys. I tend to carry a decent amount of spares but when I’m traveling (which is most of the time) it can be tough To hang around too long waiting for parts.

@Lumpskie Which GTurbo set up did you go with and how do you like it?

Thanks for the replies guys. I tend to carry a decent amount of spares but when I’m traveling (which is most of the time) it can be tough To hang around too long waiting for parts.

@Lumpskie Which GTurbo set up did you go with and how do you like it?

I've got a GTX. I tow a 22 ft boat with my 80, and it works really well for that... I'm totally happy with it. I also really like the PDI intercooler and airbox I'm running with it as well.

3rcLBmjh.jpg

IkiNbcHh.jpg

uStlOh1h.jpg

Any update on this? I’m in the same boat- except I don’t have engines yet- but looking to pull trigger sometime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom