Diesel smoke questions? Read this first! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have an 82 BJ42 with 196km and runs like a champ, only notice white smoke at startup (smells like diesel fuel). However, when I warm the glow plugs twice, I don't get the smoke. Anyone have a reason why?

If you are glowing twice, you have a hotter combustion chamber and therefore more complete combustion. The white smoke is unburnt diesel. If your glow system is working right, you shouldn't need to glow twice.

I read somewhere that another reason for not idling is that the turbo seals need pressure to seal correctly, and they don't get this at idle, so you get some oil seepage.

White smoke:

White smoke is caused by raw, un-burnt fuel passing into the exhaust stream. Common causes include:
· Incorrect fuel injection timing
· Defective fuel injectors
· Low cylinder compression

Is air in the injection system a cause for white smoke at startup too?

Any way to test for air leaks in the fuel system besides bleeding it and keeping your fingers crossed?

I wish there was a way to test for it. I'm fighting it now with the injection system in my turbo H engine. I think I've narrowed it down to the crappy OEM clamp on the return fuel line from the injectors. Everything else is tight, I have a new Bosch primer pump and there's no air in the fuel filter.

I still don't understand why that return hose can be a place for air to enter the system. I guess I need to go study those diagrams a little more.

Any way to test for air leaks in the fuel system besides bleeding it and keeping your fingers crossed?

Start from bleeding at the fuel filter and go forwards to your next bleed point - it depends on how the fuel system is designed. If you are always getting air at the fuel filter bleeder, then go backwards towards the tank starting with the filter housing seals and then on to clamps and connections.

This comes from Toyota:

Excessive smoke 1.jpg

Excessive smoke 2.jpg

Excessive smoke 3.jpg
Excessive smoke 1.jpg
Excessive smoke 2.jpg
Excessive smoke 3.jpg

And:
Excessive smoke 4.jpg
Excessive smoke 4.jpg

Mr Yota missed a few other possible causes. :smokin:

Very true John.

(I just threw that in because I thought the stuff on "injection timing" and "choked fuel filter" was interesting - Particularly since it was coming from Toyota themselves.)

Just wanted to take the time to say how stoked I am on the Diesel forum, you guys rock! I have a 1976 bj40 and have had it smokin a bit. Tried channeling the blowby, but it seems to be comin in from the tailpipe too. Rode around with a diesel buddy and he suggested replacing the injectors. Sounds like a good idea anyway cuz who knows the last time that was done... I am in southern California and was wondering if any of you guys know a good resource for getting some new/rebuilt injectors for the b engine. I'll also try that marvel mystery oil clean out and see if I can't get this baby runnin clean. thanks-Mayben

... I am in southern California and was wondering if any of you guys know a good resource for getting some new/rebuilt injectors for the b engine.

Hi Mayben

These injectors were discussed in a thread recently (and my BJ40 has these exact injectors ..... ie 1800 body):

DIESEL FUEL INJECTORS - TOYOTA LANDCRUISER B, 2B, 3B - eBay (item 120414330572 end time May-25-10 21:26:41 PDT)

The price is hard (and perhaps "impossible") to beat and that Aussi Ebay company appears to have a good reputation too.

:beer:

Here's the thread where these were discussed:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/385561-aftermarket-injectors-they-worth.html

White Smoke

In addition to my HJ47 I have been driving a 1982 GMC diesel pickup for work. I've only been driving it for about a year, and it hadnt been run in about 2 years prior to that. It had a small leak in the radiator that I took care of by adding coolant on occasion. The heater core went bad and flooded the passenger side floor...fun cleanup. I bandaided that problem by disconnecting the hoses and re-routing them. At the same time I added some Barrs stop leak to the radiator and that seemed to take care of the radiator leak. I did notice that I was still was using coolant and filled as necessary, usually less than a half gallon. Yesterday when I was driving I noticed a large amount of white smoke and the temperature gauge was maxed out. It had been running normal prior to this with no noticeable white smoke except at startup. This morning I added almost three gallons of coolant and when I went to start it up it seemed to be stuck. After a few turns on the ignition it fired up. I drove it around the block and the white smoke started up again. From what I've researched on the site it seems I have coolant leaking, although it seems to be flowing, into the combustion chamber? And it sounds like the causes of this are all bad to include possibly a cracked block. Any tips on how I go about troubleshooting the problem? And interested in opinions on what the possible causes are. Thanks in advance. -Dave

Pull off the rad cap start it up and look for bubbles this will determine if exhaust gasses are leaking into the coolant system.
Best case you only have a blown head gasket worst case a cracked head I doubt you have a cracked block.

A friend of mine had the same engine in a rig he was building. This was the first year for the 6.2 L GMC diesel. This first version of the 6.2L is well know for blowing head gaskets and also for the head to develop cracks between the valve seats. If you overhaul, the standard practice is to have the heads sleaved to permanently solve this issue. The replecment head gaskets are much better than the originals as are the new aftermarket studs (make sure you replace them on this engine).

Don't wait too long. If the coolant mixes with the oil it will do a number on the bearings.

Thanks...Im not driving it anymore. I know a guy locally who has the same motor and also a turbo that he would sell. I've never done an engine swap, or a head gasket for that matter. Trying to decide which route to take and of course the money part. Thanks again. This site is awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom