Did I.......kill it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Besides obviously lacking grease, I'm sure those heavy ass 38" tires you're running caused a little extra wear to all your parts. Maybe it's a bad pic, but those joints look like they've been dry for weeks at least.

I grease my u-joints 6-8 times a year, FWIW.

I'm calling BS on those being regularly greased. No way they got it every 6K.

Maybe he had clogged zirks and didn't notice the grease not popping out of the seals. They were completely dry on both ends.

-B-

They do have a desert type expedition look to them.

i think it's a good time to bring up a question. MAF sells "made in Japan" replacement u-joints. I purchased a set for my front driveshaft. Once i got them i realized they do not have a zirk fitting. MAF said they were sealed and shouldn't need extra grease?? WTF? should i be worried about these things?

I had some before with no zirk. They were supposed to be stronger but wear quicker. Stronger because they didn't have the grease tunnel and it was solid. I guess kinda like the Longfields vs. birfields. stronger but wears quicker.

Last edited:
The destroyed U joint/yoke was the center diff side of the front DS.

It had the center of the U joint zirk for greasing it. The front axle U joint was replaced and had the 1 end cap zirk.

The last oil change/grease up was just over 4200 miles ago...and it wasn't bone dry at the last grease up either.

Whatever happened to it was obviously enough to dry it completely out of grease and taper the ends like that.

With my monster tires its not like I could tell a difference between dying U joint vibes, unbalanced tire vibes, or be able to hear it over the whirring of the tires on the pavement. I was out on some Terminator trail out here - backed up about a foot off an obstacle and the DS just fell down at 0.5mph - so no collateral damage.

Either way...all fixed and ready for Sedonafest in a few hours...

IMG_0746.jpg

Just ordered the CDL switch from Dan too.

so I presume you have not been driving it since you lost this shaft?

I guess kinda like the Longfields vs. birfields. stronger but wears quicker.
With over 200,000 miles, I've been thinking about replacing my birfs. Do I not want to go with Longfields? Not trying to hijack :D

With over 200,000 miles, I've been thinking about replacing my birfs. Do I not want to go with Longfields? Not trying to hijack :D

I recently had front axle service performed on my truck while I watched and learned. The guy doing mine said my birfs looked like new. I have 205k miles on mine. The longfields are (as I belive them to be) used to keep the birfs from breaking while doing extreme things like rock crawling and running huge tires off road. Your birfs should be fine for 35" and under as far as I know. The longfields will wear quicker. This is the way I understand it.

A zirk on the endcap = non toyota OEM joint? You're gonna kill it in short order too, since from what I understand the Toyota joints are the strongest and longest lasting you're going to find.

I'll echo what everyone else is saying... if you were greasing those every 6k miles you must be running at a huge angle and destroying the grease very quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom