Dial gauge / indicator kits to use for Toyota diesel injector pumps, brake rotor runout, etc.

Can anyone suggest a really good dial gauge / indicator kit that can be used both with Toyota diesel injector pumps and also for general stuff such as measuring brake rotor runout? There are cheap no-name kits, really good stuff from Mitutoyo, and probably more.

I have the special tool to do 1hz/1hdt injector pump timing and believe the dial gauge needed to fit it requires an 8 mm bore. To test brake rotor runout the dial gauge needs to be attached either to a floor mounted stand or clamped via a bracket setup to the vehicle.

Thanks for whatever you can suggest and I'll go have a look.

Craig.

You can pick up cheap magnetic bases for not much coin $40-50, and a decent dial gauge for not much more, kinchrome or similar
images (2).jpeg

Or pick up both on eBay as a kit for less than $50

Why buy cheap tools to take measurements on expensive, important parts? I try to steer clear of anything made overseas unless it's European or Japanese in origin. Long ago I bought a used Snap-On GA3400 set on Ebay for less than $100. You can't beat the quality and it's USA made.

I'll second mud gudgeon on the cheaper stuff I have a starrett last word and 3 40>60$ from little machine shop&grizzly,etc
and there within .002 of one another, I don't even look at which one I grab anymore to line stuff up on the mill

way more then you will ever need for brake work

Why buy cheap tools to take measurements on expensive, important parts? I try to steer clear of anything made overseas unless it's European or Japanese in origin. Long ago I bought a used Snap-On GA3400 set on Ebay for less than $100. You can't beat the quality and it's USA made.
Sometimes cheap isn't good value for money.
Sometimes paying a premium doesn't get you significantly better quality.

I value quality tools highly, but learnt that buying expensive tools can't always be justified. Particularly when it's something that might only get used a handful of times.

I have a mix of high quality tools, and middle of the road stuff. I avoid the chinsy cheap stuff, it costs you in damaged parts, or broken tools, but you can get middle of the road quality cheap too.

For a shade tree mechanic, weigh up whats fit for purpose, and value for money.

Top Bottom