Diagnosing vibrations part time rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 97 has vibrations when I am on the throttle accelerating in 2nd and 3rd gears. The vibrations are only noticeable in-between 2,000 & 2,400 rpm's. The rig is part time 4wd so I am assuming the vibration is originating in the rear driveline.

I am wondering if I can put a part-time rig in 4H and remove the rear driveshaft for a test drive on a part time truck? If this is feasible and it won't hurt the drivetrain than I am sure this would be a quick way to verify if the vibration is coming from the rear drivetrain.

Thanks for any input. I just want to verify before I pull the rear shaft.

Rear drive shaft is where I would start. You could also jack up each tire and check for wheel bearing play. Did you just get back from some hard wheeling?

While you're checking your wheel bearings as Jason hansen suggested, I'd also make it a point to check to make sure all 4 of your knuckle nut's and studs are still in place, and still tight. The correct torque amount IIRC on those nuts in 71 Foot pounds.

Rear drive shaft is where I would start. You could also jack up each tire and check for wheel bearing play. Did you just get back from some hard wheeling?
No, it did not get worse after some hard wheeling. I have checked the front bearings and they were fine but I will check the rears. It is actually more of a growl and grinding feel than a vibration.

I really just want to make sure I can safely pull the rear drive shaft and use 4H on a part time 80 series?

I have never ran my 80 with just the front end, can’t see what it would hurt. I would definitely try it on the trail if I gernaded the rear end. Just don’t engage your front locker.

I am wondering if I can put a part-time rig in 4H and remove the rear driveshaft for a test drive on a part time truck? If this is feasible and it won't hurt the drivetrain than I am sure this would be a quick way to verify if the vibration is coming from the rear drivetrain.
I have driven in front wheel drive many times on a full time 4WD 80. If you don't drive like a knucklehead you'll be just fine. I hate the way it handles, but you get used to it.

My 97 has vibrations when I am on the throttle accelerating in 2nd and 3rd gears. The vibrations are only noticeable in-between 2,000 & 2,400 rpm's. The rig is part time 4wd so I am assuming the vibration is originating in the rear driveline.

Thanks for any input. I just want to verify before I pull the rear shaft.
make shire that your front driveshaft is not turning one time my locking hub was stuck locked and i was having vibration took me some time to figure it out

make shire that your front driveshaft is not turning one time my locking hub was stuck locked and i was having vibration took me some time to figure it out

I can spin the drive shaft with 1 finger when it is parked so I don't think the front is spinning when Im in 2wd. I will pull the rear driveshaft and see if the grinding sensation goes away. I am suspecting rear T case output bearing or rear pinion bearing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom