DHracers 72 Build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok so its been a little hectic here lately with the race season coming up to quickly!!!! Been training a bunch so I should be at least a little ready!..
I have been doing a bunch of motor work.. I have basically 10 days to finish it up along with packing and getting parts ready for racing.. eehgg!

I took the head into get cleaned up! everything looks good still on it!.. I ordered up my Overhaul Gasket Kit from Cruiser Dan.. (He seems like a real cool dude!)

I have been doing a bunch of sanding and painting.. WAY to much cleaning.. my hands are super dry and cracked.. the air intake had about 10mm of thick black crud on the inside of the walls.. That takes a lot of time to clean!.. used a bunch of Carb Cleaner and citrus degreaser.. its impossible to get it all out but I got just about most of it out!

P1020917.jpg

just some update pics on the motor..

P1020918.jpg

P1020919.jpg

Painted the Intake and cleaned up and repainted the emblem.. looking much better!!

P1020920.jpg

I like the blue.. its a nice color.. hopefully not to much.. as long as I can get it done before I got to leave.

Also.... I need to show my new Race bike.. I'm liking it a LOT!

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

Nice ride, What fork is that?

Danm nice bike! You gonna be up in the Northeast riding this year? Should def hit up some trails somewhere! Just picked up a new rack North Shore Racks for the 62...

oh and nice build, Dropped a kid off from there in December headed to ATL... nice spot

Yep.. leaving actually right after the Massanutten race in VA beginning May then headed up to CT for most of the Summer.
Asheville is kind of a holiday city.. its dead most of the year until holiday season!.. Also its a great place to ride bikes and just about everything outdoors.

My Buddy has that exact same rack on his Ford Expedition.. They are really nice!! You will like it.

Nice ride, What fork is that?

Its the Boxxer World Cup.
Works well!..

I have been busy lately but getting stuff done at night.. still lots of cleaning and scrubbing!...
I have been looking around for a solution to plugging up the EGR on the exhaust header and I found something I think will work nicely..! at first I thought of looking for a freeze plug.. or welding up the hole but I found this little plug at the lowes in the plumbing section made of brass which is 3/4" plug.
P1020926.jpg

it fits nicely on the hole and all I need to do is cut it down a touch.. I reuse the nut and clamp it down hard and what do you know!.. a plug.! simple solution..
P1020927.jpg

P1020928.jpg

Also been doing a bit more work here and there.. I have bought mostly all new Stainless steel hardware. and I put the oil filter assembly back on along with the cooler!.. I have been sanding every bit down by hand and repainting so its looking really nice!

P1020924.jpg

P1020922.jpg

P1020921.jpg

nope.. not yet.. ! I wish I had more time to work on it and get it done quicker.. but I've been taking my time to make sure its done well.. My overhaul gasket kit should be coming in pretty soon! hopefully this week..

So this past weekend was one of my first races!.. It was the Massanuttan Yee Ha race down in Virginia and is first of the Gravity East race series. My bike worked well! I ended up the race winning the Pro class by 4 seconds so I'm doing ok.. Made $500!.. not bad for a weekends work..

Anyways.. I got some packages when I got home! all my new Gasket kits arrived from Cruiser Dan!..
I should be getting my Head back from the machine shop with cleaned up valves and everything!.. Motor should be done by end of the week!

P1020933.jpg

I have also been playing with my air intake setup and I found at Lowes some 3" rubber pipe with fittings and has a sleeve on it for protection.. this makes the whole air intake a little more compact and shouldn't move around as much as the normal rubber hose.. I have also on order a Toyota Supra air filter adpater plate coming with a K&N filter..

P1020929.jpg

P1020930.jpg

We do have this section

Bicycling

LOL:cheers:

Ok so a little about my background.. I grew up in South Africa and my family are mostly all from South Africa except for my mother who is from the USA.
My family has always been outdoorsy and when I was a kid I went to a outdoors boarding school down in Natal called Treverton.
My family has owned Toyota's for ever and we have owned 5 Land cruisers in South Africa.

I Started racing Mountain Bikes in 2000 in the Downhill scene and have been racing ever since..

Anyways here are some pics to get started.

P1020710.jpg

Quick picture of some of my bikes.. Trail, Dirt Jump, Road and DH..

I have fitted out my garage quite nicely with a smaller bike corner with bench.
Next to it is a Wood stove which is amazing! it can be 10 degrees outside and with that fire going in the stove it will be a hot 80 degrees easy inside.. nice for those horrible Winter days.

P1020749.jpg

Geritt7.jpg

181.jpg

Geritt2.jpg

Just some quick biking pictures from 2008..

Should get a bit more done this year hopefully.. I have the race season starting back up very soon and I don't get very much time to work on the 40.. although I make money to work on the FJ40 so racing is important for my Cruiser!

Looks good man, I raced DH for 10 years, stayed in the expert class mostly raced up north, Plattekill, Mount Snow, Diablo, A couple of Nationals at Snowshoe WV and Durango. Now I concentrate on the 40 build.:D

This weekend I had a chance to go to my Downhill training grounds down in TN.... Finally!! The weather out here has been so bad that all the trails around here have just been so swamped and I end up sitting on my trainer indoors every night.. very boring. :frown:
It was such a good weekend!.. went dirt bike riding on Friday doing a bunch of trails out there..
Saturday I got to ride my DH bike a bit. I had the intent of selling the bike by now but since my other bike hasn't arrived yet and I had most of my parts sitting here I decided to put my last years bike together..

Windrock had a good turnout this last weekend with over 50 people there... pretty good for a weekend ride.
I ended the weekend of riding with some moto again on Sunday!

Feels good to get out of the house for a change!..

geritt_wr.jpg

wrshuttle.jpg

Man I miss that, Sold my DH bike, Had a sweet Turner DHR, Was thinking about going pro until I started riding with Derek Nobman at some of the races and thought, after shattering my tibia, breaking most of my fingers, tearing shoulder ligaments and ripping my hand open I said going pro at 35 is not smart, (Didn't do any of that riding with Derek) Hey did you do the National at Windum?

Yep! Derek because he is so big carries this thing we call "Nobmentum" he can just keep his speed so well its crazy.!
I raced Windham! what a crazy race that was.. pretty disorganized up there.
I qualified pretty decent considering they never counted me down at the start... they "forgot".. then my chain broke right at the top so I had to cruise down but I seem to do well without a chain and I think I qualified 7th?... then in the final run I was having a pretty good run then flatted about half way down ... not a great race thats for sure!

Ok so its been a little hectic here lately with the race season coming up to quickly!!!! Been training a bunch so I should be at least a little ready!..
I have basically 10 days to finish it up along with packing and getting parts ready for racing.. eehgg!

I took the head into get cleaned up! everything looks good still on it!.. I ordered up my Overhaul Gasket Kit from Cruiser Dan.. (He seems like a real cool dude!)

I like the blue.. its a nice color.. hopefully not to much.. as long as I can get it done before I got to leave.

Also.... I need to show my new Race bike.. I'm liking it a LOT!

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

Danm nice bike! You gonna be up in the Northeast riding this year? Should def hit up some trails somewhere! Just picked up a new rack North Shore Racks for the 62...

oh and nice build, Dropped a kid off from there in December headed to ATL... nice spot

Yep.. leaving actually right after the Massanutten race in VA beginning May then headed up to CT for most of the Summer.
Asheville is kind of a holiday city.. its dead most of the year until holiday season!.. Also its a great place to ride bikes and just about everything outdoors.

My Buddy has that exact same rack on his Ford Expedition.. They are really nice!! You will like it.

Its the Boxxer World Cup.
Works well!..

Another post on the race this last weekend... 2010 Massanutten Yee Ha - Race Face Riders Blog

So I have a quick update..
Getting ready to leave for awhile so just putting the motor together just so I know where everything goes.

Motor is looking good though! came out nice!
here is the pictures

P1020934.jpg

P1020935.jpg

P1020938.jpg

looks great man! Its great that you have time to handle biking and working on a cruiser. I used to ride in college, now I just drink beer and eat a ton.

So did you jump over to the motor right after you finished the frame? I am at the same point, but am not sure where to go next.....thinking axles maybe, then engine.

looks great man! Its great that you have time to handle biking and working on a cruiser. I used to ride in college, now I just drink beer and eat a ton.

So did you jump over to the motor right after you finished the frame? I am at the same point, but am not sure where to go next.....thinking axles maybe, then engine.

Yeah I just started from the ground up.. did the axles first put the discs on it.. then frame and all the drivetrain stuff.
Its just a mater of having some cold days where you can just scrub away! I layed the tarp on the ground and put everything that I pulled off the engine in order on the tarp so I wouldn't lose anything.
use lots of carb or brake cleaner!! degreaser also!.. and lots of blades to scrape crud off the parts.. I found using the scotch brite pads with carb cleaner or degreaser works well!

SO I figured I would give my thread a quick bump... I have a bunch of new parts waiting back home for me and its killing me to not be able to see them !!!.. hopefully after this years racing I will have enough $$$ to finish the cruiser up enough to drive it around!
Decided to do a whole race series to try win the overall series and hopefully win some big $$
Thats the plan at least.

I bought a bumper and I know its sitting back at home right now waiting for me to install it.. I guess I should have bought many other things besides a sweet bumper.. it was done on impulse.. I had no power...

52100-4008tc02.jpg

Picture of the new bumper from Man A Fre.. I like the design.. I will need to get some lights and a winch...

Update!!

Ok.. so its been awhile since I have posted up here on my thread.

Since the last time I posted I have been racing my bike this year and ended up grabbing the Gravity East title! unfortunately I didn't win as much as I was hoping.. :bang:

I have been working a bit on the cruiser and the last 3 weeks I have been working on it as much as possible!
I bought a 4 speed transmission and have finished up the motor! just waiting on the tub now which is getting professionally fixed and painted!

I was stoked today when my clutch alignment tool arrived! means I could finally put the transmission back on and mount it all back on the frame! big moments like this is what its all about!

So after lifting the whole motor and tranny up and starting to fit it in I came up with a slight problem... well its pretty bad.
I guess I bought a newer version 4spd from a FJ60 and the transfer is to long??..!
Sooooo... I guess I'm going to go back to my original plan of putting the 3 speed transfer on!.. ergghh... and after thinking about it for so long and deciding on just sticking with the stock setup.

Take a look and let me know what you think would be the best solution? I heard putting the 3 speed transfer will sort it out since it is slightly smaller.. How about the JT Outfitters kit?.. 4 Speed Transmission to 3 Spd Transfer Adapter - JTOutfitters

Would that work?

IMG00027-20101201-1417.jpg

Pretty stoked on the motor!! looking really good!

IMG00036-20101201-1620.jpg

IMG00035-20101201-1620.jpg

IMG00038-20101201-1717.jpg

All sitting in pretty!! just making sure everything fits on the 3FE.. I have a couple of things to figure out like the motor mounts.. from what I was told the stock 3FE mount on the passenger side had to be replaced with the older one but I don't know?? it looks to me like the stock one would work..

IMG00039-20101201-1717.jpg

As you can see I had to pull the E brake off to fit it in... :rolleyes:
is there a cheaper way to make this work besides changing the transfer out?

Ok so I am trying to install a new Clutch slave on my cruiser last night.
From what I have read when putting a 3 speed clutch into a 4 speed transmission you need all parts 3 speed.
I have everything 3 speed and I bought a new clutch slave to put on that is 70-74 and its to long??

Do I have something wrong here.?

100_0007.jpg

100_0008.jpg

I cant get the bolts to line up.. I have the rod turned in as much as possible also.

Use your old rod if you have it. I got a new slave from Cruiser Corps and the rod was 3/4" too long, so I just grabbed my old one a voila!

I never could find it.. it didn't have it on when I got the cruiser.
I cut it down and it was still to long..
I ended up having to pull the fork out just a bit to get the rod into the dip.
I'm worried though that just a touch of flex in the fork is new going to cause the clutch to slip.. I don't think it will really but you never know.. I guess I will find out when I get the cruiser up and running!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom