Dewalt 20V cordless brushless 12" top handle chainsaw - know about it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
just saw that one at my local ACE. Surprisingly inexpensive compared to the little Makita I've had my eyes on for a bit. As in cheaper than the bare Makita, but with a 5Ah battery and a charger included. And when I looked it up I saw the bare saw for about half the cost of the bare Makita. So, not particularly interested on starting a Dewalt system actually, and it looks a bit like a Transformer toy, but I gotta ask anyway given the price: is it any good? The model is 620 something I gather.

I’ve used one a co-worker had for notching 8x12” piece of fir for a fireplace mantle and like the fact that it had very little deflection in the cut compared to a gas saw.

In the past I’ve used the 110 worx plug in cheap ones that get the same results in my construction work (indoor use). Thats the only use I can see personality that I’d use this kinda saw around the house for. I would buy a battery weed eater though if I wasn’t so invested in gas equipment.

I don't think the ergonomics are as good as the Makita 06 to get up in the trees, but I could see using it for pruning stuff at ground level. Don't like those no-tool plastic adjustment knobs, though.

No experience with the chainsaw, but I've found that my 20V DeWalt angle grinder goes through the 20V 5.0Ah & 6.0Ah batteries pretty damn quickly if you're actually grinding. A friend let me borrow his 20V/60V "flex volt" battery (9.0Ah, IIRC) and it made the grinder a lot more useful. I need to pick up one of those batteries when I see a good deal. I'm sort of guessing that the chainsaw might have a similar issue on battery drain.

yes. I think that is a general conundrum. 20V Lithium ion batteries can only pack so much energy at a few Ah. And they become quickly cumbersome at higher Ah which detracts from the very cordless concept, of course.

Having said that, it all boils down to intended use. If it's just to grind down a couple of small welds (not that you would ever need to do that, of course ;)) or prune a couple of bushes quickly, it's a great concept. For a day cutting firewood or hours grinding down a boiler tank, less so.

I have the dewalt 60v chainsaw with 16" bar and I love it. Easy to pack for camping and no smell of premix. It's also nice when doing limbing and lots of cuts where you might need to reposition a log since you don't have to yank a cord every time. Does the job for 80% of my needs and the 60v flex batteries fit in some of my other tools.

A friend let me borrow his 20V/60V "flex volt" battery (9.0Ah, IIRC) and it made the grinder a lot more useful. I need to pick up one of those batteries when I see a good deal.

And with that this just came across my desk this afternoon: 2-Pack DeWALT 20V/60V 9.0Ah MAX FLEXVOLT Lithium-Ion Battery $180 + Free Shipping

:bounce::bounce2:

Having said that, it all boils down to intended use. If it's just to grind down a couple of small welds (not that you would ever need to do that, of course ;)) or prune a couple of bushes quickly, it's a great concept. For a day cutting firewood or hours grinding down a boiler tank, less so.

The grinder works great with a 20V battery to just clean up something quickly or if you're using a cut-off wheel or sanding pad. But if you're spending more than five minutes grinding steel away you need more power. ⚡⚡⚡

I picked one up a couple months ago. Mainly for small quick jobs around the place. I gotta say I am pretty happy with it considering it looks like a toy. This is by no means a “real” chainsaw. That’s what the stihl is for ;) the serious stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom