Dead locks, windows and moonroof... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ocho77

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.op-art.guru
Long story short...sunk the truck in water this past summer (thankfully my wife had bought me a snorkel).

Anyway, after a few new parts and cleaning, rig runs great.

However, eventually the windows started fading and the only one that worked was passenger rear window. Yesterday, I went out and now the power door locks don't work, none of the windows go up or down, and the moon roof will not open.

Since all this happened at once, I am guessing it's electrical...which I suck at. Simple suggestions of where to begin?

Need to clean the contacts in the switches and check and clean all connector plugs.

Thank you. I've cleaned the drivers side with no results. Also, I doubt all the windows, door locks and moon roof contacts went bad at the exact same time.

Last edited:
Check the fuse that looks like this:
upload_2017-3-7_5-46-9.jpeg

Go to Barnes and Noble and get the book on automotive wiring. You only need the first chapter or two, but it's pretty handy. Then get the wiring diagram - or find it online. I used to have an old (1984) Toyota Corolla - one of only three imported to California with a DIESEL motor :hillbilly:. This approach helped me find and fix a short in the driver's door that was giving me a dead battery every freaking morning. It was much easier than I thought it would be.

Go to Barnes and Noble and get the book on automotive wiring. You only need the first chapter or two, but it's pretty handy. Then get the wiring diagram - or find it online. I used to have an old (1984) Toyota Corolla - one of only three imported to California with a DIESEL motor :hillbilly:. This approach helped me find and fix a short in the driver's door that was giving me a dead battery every freaking morning. It was much easier than I thought it would be.

I have a book titled 'Managing 12 volts'. It was very useful when wiring my second battery. However, I am away from home on military duty and don't have the space/time/ to go through wiring. If there are a few simple options, I'll try those. Otherwise I'll pay someone else to find the issue.

There is also a relay down there that will affect these systems. I'm not sure which one, but I do know there is a thread on here about bypassing it for always-on windows.

When I bought mine, the driver's side rear window would not function. I tore into it a few weeks ago and discovered that a leak had allowed water to work its way into the motor over time. It had a little rust on the exterior so I broke it down to find the inside was seized up rock solid. Played around with it for a bit and was able to remove the copper/magnet thing (technical term). Once it was broke free, I just cleaned out the sleeve for it and applied some fresh grease. Works like a champ now. While it's odd that all yours died at the same time, it may be worth looking into the motor itself to see if water made it in there too.

So, I've been bothered with this issue for awhile now. I have cleaned the entire fuse panel, installed all new fuses, replaced all the relays in the DS kickpanel and still have no power to the locks, windows or moonroof.

Is there anything I am missing before I pay someone to look into this? Electrical wiring is my nemesis...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom