Dash cover or OEM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got a call that the guy installing my roll bars dropped one and cracked my top dash pad. I have a '79 FJ40, so my question is: has anyone used a CCOT or SOR dash cover ($110-$120) and would you recommend it versus the $600 OEM? Obviously you can't go wrong with the OEM but mine is a driver with a few minor blemishes (mostly original parts though). Any advice is appreciated, especially if you used a cover and weren't happy with it. Thanks in advance.

IMG_9574.JPG
IMG_4178.PNG

If you want to go light on the guy, the cover is decent looking and tough. I've used the cover before and just make sure you glue it on right so as to not end up with a bowed dash in the middle.

FYI
I've found the OEM "Safety Pad Sub - Assembly" for just over $400 depending on your online dealership search - Part number 55404-90301 - (09/1972 - 07/1980 )

Also, you could reach out to Norwalk Toyota - @RUBEN CROW
I've ordered quite a few things from them, great service and fast shipping - even though I pay CA sales tax, I order all my OEM from Ruben

If you want to go light on the guy, the cover is decent looking and tough. I've used the cover before and just make sure you glue it on right so as to not end up with a bowed dash in the middle.
Do you happen to have a picture of it installed? Thanks,

It's in the garage under a drop cloth. That's the weird lighting. Brand new only about 100yds on the interior. Looks especially good for the money. First look and you'd think it's a real dash. The texture is a little different but without a real dash sitting next to it it isn't noticeable.

IMG_0154.jpeg

It's in the garage under a drop cloth. That's the weird lighting. Brand new only about 100yds on the interior. Looks especially good for the money. First look and you'd think it's a real dash. The texture is a little different but without a real dash sitting next to it it isn't noticeable.

View attachment 2254407
Thank you, looks great.

I am installing the Fj40dash.com upper and lower pads in my '74 restoration project. I am very happy with their product. I wish the upper pad did not have the logo, but otherwise I have no complaints. It appears to be much more durable than the OEM unit. I do not know how it will weather.

Dash-S.jpg

Fj40dash does both the top and lower dash pads?

FWIW: Having had my FJ40dash (upper and lower pads) in my rig for over 6 years now, I'm still very happy I went that route. The logo, never draws my attention when I drive my rig. I also don't pay attention to it when I work on the interior of my 40.

The logo, I wish it wasn't there, but such is life.

Ditto - very happy with the upper pad, even though I was not expecting the cut-out work for the dashlight.

For FJ40s 1968-8/72: Instead of starting a new thread, I will first try using this one. My question is very similar to uwum15 who started this thread. Most of the upper dash covers are about the same price except for Dashtop ($180) and FJ40 Dash ($285) who does not make a cover for FJ40's before 9/72. Many people have had good experiences and given tips on how to install to get better results. Please let me know if you used a dash cover from Cool Cruisers, Cruiser Corps or Specter (which one) and if you would buy theirs again. I have checked the ebay links on this thread but those are no longer valid. I am trying to keep my original 8/68 FJ40 as original as I can without buying a new $650-700 OEM dash because of two cracks in the dash.
FJ40 Dash Cover.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom