D Pillar wire run? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to fish a wire from the drivers side to passenger through the "D" pillars and across the roof in the same channel as the rear dome light wiring.

I looked at several pictures, and it looks possible, but there could be hidden structure .

Is this possible with the head liner in place? Has anyone done this?

Thanks

D,

I did this on an '83. Should be the same.

J

I replaced my rear wiper hose hose by fishing from the rear hatch, across the light and D piller vent to the driver side. I think the passenger side would be easier.

I fished my washer/wiper hose the same way, but it was easier for me because I had already carefully peeled back a small amount of the headliner after removing the upper flexible trim piece. I needed to do that because I had to access the holes that the rear sub harnesses feed through into the rear liftgate on both sides (entire wiring harness from my '89 FJ62 was swapped over to my '86 FJ60). To retain the rear power door lock mechanism it'll be easier to swap over the FJ62 liftgate, requiring the extra work.

Good, I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks

I have a 12v supply ran to the drivers rear 1/4 and want to mount my compressor in pass side rear 1/4 panel.

There are some VERY sharp edges on the sheet metal in that area. Sharp enough to cut through spiral wrap and conduit.

I ran speaker wire in conduit across the top but to get 12V to that side, I installed 3/4" liquid tight flexible conduit under the body from quarter to quarter where Toyota ran the tail light wires.

Mud 601.JPG

I don't have a good picture to post. Sorry. This shows the general routing. The conduit itself is residential grade, plastic conduit and fittings from your local home improvement store. Nothing fancy, but its routed in a well protected low heat location.

Something like this:

AFC Cable Systems 3/4 in. x 6 ft. Non-Metallic Liquidtight Whip-8029 - The Home Depot

The conduit and ends can be bought separately. I used straight in fittings rather than the 90. It will require drilling a hole in the inside panel of your quarter panels. I used an electrician's cutting punch to get a clean hole.

Klein Tools 3/4 in. Knockout Punch 3-Piece Set-53727SEN - The Home Depot

Good luck.

I think it's way easier to run below and then across.

I ended up not doing this after all.

I had made a custom duel fuel filler pipes for my saddle tank many years ago. When the side panels open, I saw the duel filler neck blocks the area for the compressor...Doh! I forgot how much room it took up.

Thanks for replies.

Last edited:
there are also a couple small access panels at the base of the d pillar. if you hold your tongue just the right way you can fish a small wire through from inside the rear fender and then run it under the carpet flashing. that'll protect it well enough i think

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom