Cylinder 6 misfires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 96 lx450 has cylinder 6 misfires during cold starts, especially after it rains. Since cylinder 6 is right under the edge of the hood I figured it was water affecting the coil and or plug. Plug 6 and it's coil seem dry after it rains. Dielectric grease on the plug/coil did not help. Today I changed the plug and I haven't had time to see if it's fixed. Next I'll replace the coils/distributor wires. The distributor cap remains dry. Any other suggestions?

What coils are you talking about?

Our US vehicles have ONE coil that feeds the distributor. Our engines are not coil pack.

There are spark plugs (1 per cylinder), fuel injectors (1 per cylinder) and one coil that feeds the distributor that then distributes the spark to each spark plug via the 6 spark plug leads.

If your spark plug wires are original (date is marked on each lead) then they may be in need of replacement - replace with OEM not some aftermarket 'stuff'.

cheers,
george.

Hate to be Mr. Doom and Gloom but when I had serious No. 6 missfires my HG (no.6 fire ring) had left me, gotter home though.

Oil in the spark plug tube is the listed in the FSM as the first thing to look for when dealing with misfire.

Well, to be less than doom and gloom, I had a few misfires on #6 and then #6 injector failed open circuit. New injector and all good again.

Injector Service follows my debugging steps. Might be some useful info for you.

I've had misfires on my jeep when cold/damp and that was due to old spark plug leads.

cheers,
george.

I used to get that code when I washed my engine. Would have to let it run to burn off all the moisture.

I was fearing the headgasket. It may be time to replace the spark plug wires. I'll update whether the spark plugs replacement was a fix.
My $0.02: before you start spending money, put a little bit into mailing Blackstone an oil sample.

Ok it's been almost 3 weeks and no more misfires since replacing the spark plug in cylinder 6. It's been raining plenty and for now I not changing the plug wires yet. Good idea Mighty- an oil analysis would probably be wise during the next change.

I used to get that code when I washed my engine. Would have to let it run to burn off all the moisture.

This is exactly what happened to me 2 days ago. Degreased and washed the engine really well in preperation for a big round of PM's. Did my best to avoid connectors and electronics. Started it and had a misfire. Let it reach full temp then turned off and let it sit.....next start misfire was gone.

Happy to hear your misfire is gone ConcreteCruiser.

Having issue with spark plug number 6 myself, can you guys tell me which side #6 is on so I don’t waste any time removing stuff to get to it? Thanks !

Having issue with spark plug number 6 myself, can you guys tell me which side #6 is on so I don’t waste any time removing stuff to get to it? Thanks !

You have an inline '6' so you have only the front and the back. The rearward most cylinder is #6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom