CVs - What did I do wrong? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright so I'm being a little emotional because I just rebooted these damn things 6 months ago. Tonight I happened to crawl under there to check something else and noticed both CVs have ripped in the same place on both sides. I have a set of 1.5" OMEs in the front and back. My guess is the lift put extra stress on the boot? I'm also using the pfran (or was it McMaster... I don't remember) hose clamps. Anyway, looks like I'll be doing this again soon.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can possibly do differently? =) Maybe one of those high handle do-dad boots?

***EDIT***: I should add, yes I'm using OEM CVs. Also attached a photo of when I finished rebuilding them further down (it sounds like I put the boots on backwards).
BYfCmdB.jpg

F6Otnnf.jpg

Last edited:
Passenger side boot looks pretty stretched out- especially compared to the driverside.

Next time use the OEM clamps that come with the boot kit.

The FSM is pretty specific about driveshaft length when reassembling, maybe the driveshafts were short when you clamped the boots. If that's the case, the boots would've stretched (and stayed stretched) as the driveshaft was fitted to the car.

Interested to hear if they were OEM too, if yes, may also be time to think about a diff drop?

I agree they do look stretched, if I recall correctly, there's a defined lip towards the center of the shaft for both the inner and outer joint where the inner lip should seat. It's been awhile since I had mine apart.

Your c.v. angles don't look to crazy, but that's hard to tell. What is your center of hub to fender lip measurement?

Hold on, it looks like you put the inner boot on the outboard side.

Count the number of folds on the boots, there appear to be more folds on your inboards side. The boot with more folds should be outboard.

IMG_6785-543x450.jpg

If the boots weren't positioned in clamping area correctly (in the grooves on the axle), the boot might have shifted and stretched.

If I am seeing it correctly, it looks like the sharp edge side of the worm drive on the clamp is facing inward towards the folds of the PS boot. This is the kiss of death for tearing boots when turning sharply and articulating because the clamp rubs the first fold of the boot and eventually tears it.

If its actually 1.5" lift, and your droop is over 60+ mm, there shouldn't be any lift related causes to tear new boots or cause them to leak.

@incudie, I think the issue was simply getting the inner and outer boots mixed up during assembly. Positive note, you'll probably be able to do the reboot in half the time since you've been through it recently.

Passenger side boot looks pretty stretched out- especially compared to the driverside.

Next time use the OEM clamps that come with the boot kit.
abuck99 and I have a friendly disagreement over which clamps to use. Stick with the McMasters. So one vote either way, up to you now. :)
Use OEM boots and as earlier poster mentioned make sure inners and outers are correct.

abuck99 and I have a friendly disagreement over which clamps to use. Stick with the McMasters. So one vote either way, up to you now. :)
Use OEM boots and as earlier poster mentioned make sure inners and outers are correct.
Duly Noted:hillbilly: : Important to add that If you're going to use the euro type McMaster Carr clamps they need to be oriented correctly (sharp edge pointing away from boot folds) as not to rub/cut the boot.

Definitely reversed the boots. I almost did that on mine as well... had to disassemble and put back together twice! :doh:

I also want to throw in a vote for OEM clamps. I used screw clamps on a 4Runner and had nothing but problems... I think that it is too easy to overtighten and crush the rubber and then there is the problem with possibly having tail rip the boot if not installed correctly. I have never had that happen but have heard the stories!

That said I do carry a set of McMaster Carr clamps for trip spares in case an OEM ever gives out. But that is just my experience and my personal opinion is do whatever you feel the most comfortable with because at the end of the day both clamp types do the job.

Alright thanks for all the replies. So to answer everyone's question, yes, these are OEM (I bought the OEM boot kit from Toyota of Dallas).

I even managed to find a picture after I finished. Are the boots in fact on backwards?

CV.jpg

Yes Backwards/Reversed

Surprised you could fit the inner boot onto the outer tulip is smaller dia. One way to know is that the outer boot is hard plastic and the inner boot is softer rubber. Also the OEM clamps are sized to fit on the specific boot- they can't be mixed up.

Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 3.13.42 PM.png

You had some clamps oriented correctly, others not.

Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 3.09.46 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom