CV failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you plan on installing a diff drop?

Do you plan on installing a diff drop?

Not at this time. From everything that I've read and those I've spoken with about it, it doesn't seem necessary. This is about as mild of a lift as one can get on these 200's, thinking it was either the installer not insuring that the CV was fully seated when he installed the lift, or it was a fluke failure only exacerbated by the lift itself. Either way, I plan to inspect the CV angle, axle seating and overall condition of everything prior to heading back home with the truck this evening.

That cast cage exploded because of human error. 100%. glad he made it right. These cages don't just explode with normal driving/a new lift. The effort wasn't taken to reseat after an overextension. Your ball bearings blew the cage up while driving

That cast cage exploded because of human error. 100%. glad he made it right. These cages don't just explode with normal driving/a new lift. The effort wasn't taken to reseat after an overextension. Your ball bearings blew the cage up while driving

Sounds pretty much like what happened. It wasn't slipping and popping right away, it happened over the course of 15-20 miles. I need to verify that he seated the new correctly along with properly torquing the axle nut as well.

Well it definitely $hit the bed. The cage exploded and the bearings were all over the place. I am willing to believe that the the CV became slightly dislodged when they swapped out the UCA's due to the slack in the lower/spindle and it wasn't properly reseated when the new UCA was installed. Is the color of the grease correct for what's used in the CV's? It almost looks like water/dirt contaminated grease, but that's nearly impossible short of a slightly torn boot that would have gone unnoticed for sometime because this truck has never seen water deeper than a few inches and even then only for a very short duration i.e. 50-100yds. There's definitely still some residual grease flung around on the chassis that I'll need to clean up.

v2YEcli.jpg

For those in the know, what are your thoughts on these CV angles front to back, does it look like they were moved too far forward during the alignment? I don't want this happening again and I am willing to have it re-aligned at another shop should y'all think it looks too aggressive. It drove fine on the way home some 90 miles at speeds of 70-75mph. The steering wheel is slightly off center, I'll have to have that re-centered if nothing else. The SPC UCA caster plates are currently at position D 0* +2*.

Driver
R0GKIz3.jpg

Passenger
N01VNv8.jpg

Driver of a stock 200.
QgyxMdW.jpg

Last edited:
That looks slightly better than full droop on my Kings...

I was super paranoid when I did my install. I had the LCA on a jack stand and was still worried. But i have few thousand miles on it so I guess I didn't screw it up. :hillbilly:

That looks slightly better than full droop on my Kings...

I was super paranoid when I did my install. I had the LCA on a jack stand and was still worried. But i have few thousand miles on it so I guess I didn't screw it up. :hillbilly:

Those pics were taken with the truck flat on the ground, not at full droop. Should I be concerned? I have no idea of knowing how much he moved them forward from what is considered stock, they didn't use a digital rack with read outs.

Honestly I don't know, maybe others can chime in. When I was up at Torfab a month back they had mine on a lift and were a little worried about my extension at full drop. Just on the off chance that I really stretched it out hard they suggested some limit straps. I haven't gotten around to it yet but am considering it. Will likely do a re-valve and limit straps when I find the time just to be cautious. But FWIW I've had mine at max droop repeatedly in my garage without any issue and they did as well. I was definitely cautious when I had the UCA unbolted though and everything has turned out OK.

Honestly I don't know, maybe others can chime in. When I was up at Torfab a month back they had mine on a lift and were a little worried about my extension at full drop. Just on the off chance that I really stretched it out hard they suggested some limit straps. I haven't gotten around to it yet but am considering it. Will likely do a re-valve and limit straps when I find the time just to be cautious. But FWIW I've had mine at max droop repeatedly in my garage without any issue and they did as well. I was definitely cautious when I had the UCA unbolted though and everything has turned out OK.

I've got it set to go in tomorrow for another alignment with my long time shop that has a digital rack. I am armed with a little more knowledge and info now about where things should be and they will have numbers to back it up unlike the previous shop. That said, a few others have chimed in saying that they think my angles are good so we shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom