Cummins B3.3 FJ45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I believe a solid Oregon contingent will be necessary for the FJ45 run this year. :)

If I can get my rear frame re-extended, bed back on, and fuel tank built between June-Aug, I am down.

fuel milage jumping over the hill

Had to make a run from Bend to Eugene OR to collect some parts---a very nice drive--although this time of year things can change quick. I averaged 24 MPG even with going over the pass. Here are a few photos of the trip.
d.JPG
d1.JPG
d3.JPG

couple more photos

More photos---the little Cummins climbed the pass great---it was made for the hills.
d4.JPG
d5.JPG

That's got to be one of the coolest 45's ever.

working hard

Even loaded down the Cummins drives like there is no load. Been real happy with the conversion this far---I have order newer gauges for it so that I can better track the vitals--will update with a photo once they are installed.
mul.JPG
mul1.JPG

How well does the heater work in this truck w/ the 3.3 in it, Scott? I'm guessing it might run a tad cooler in the cab than it did w/ the old F engine?

Heater

I am still running the stock 1966 heater in the truck---and surprisingly the truck heats up rather quickly---even on cold days (16 F the other morning). The B3.3 does not take long to provide hot coolant to the heater unit. Unlike my 12 valve Dodge that takes several miles before you even get a hint of heat---and thats when its 60 F outside. The only real issue I have had with heating the cab is all the air leaks in the cab itself---this spring when I have the truck topless I plan on replacing a lot of the weatherstripping.

It is pretty weird to think that your white 45 used to be across the street from my wife's great uncle in Nor Cal, went back east and now I'm seeing little chunks of it on 'mud.. small world.

Definately a strong little engine. i have one in a 4 wheel drive utility tractor. Three years and 260 hours later my only desire would be to up the HP from its current rating of 65hp to 85hp which seems to be where most of the B3.3 are set these days.

I thought abou swapping one into a Land Rover 109 pick-up. The power is about right but the RPMs are slower. As part of a swap, wouldn't the gearing have to be changed significantly to acheive a reasonable road speed, say 55 to 60 MPH?

The Mechanical version of the B3.3 can be purchased in 65HP or 85HP model---depending on use. I have finally gotten around to updating the gauges in my truck to see if there was any play room with the engine---without an intercooler I would not recommend changing the fuel/air setting on this engine--Cummins did a good job setting the engine up to keep things from burning up and get the maximum out of the engine without extras added.

I have a Series II that I am waiting on an adapter for so that I can run one of these B3.3 in it. I will be running the B3.3 hooked to a Ford manual transmission and the stock Land Rover transfercase. The gearing in the diffs does need to be changed---especially if you are not running an over drive. With the Land Rover---it is pretty easy to use later differs of the 3.54 gearing---without overdrive this would allow you to cruise at least 70 mph. (Tire size will also change your MPH options) Anything over 4.XX gearing and no over drive and you would be stuck in the low 50's mph.

Anyone got a spec sheet that shows the physical size of this motor?

Height and length would be nice....

Also a bigger pic of that CPL tag would be nice if you have one showing the epa stuff

cool conversion

If you need any of the specs on the motor I have them...I have a buddy who works at cummins who put this motor in his jeep. He gave me a bunch of paperwork on the motor.

I'm not much for jeeps but I was so impressed with the motor I'm planning at least one swap into a yota. It's probably going to be into a mid 80's extended cab pickup...I really want to put one in a 45 with but the chance of finding one of those for a decent price is still near impossible even in these bad economic times.

I figure if bikerso has ample power in his 45 with this motor then a smaller lighter pickup should be even better power wise.

Great thread guys! I do not get down here much as your rigs are generally priced out of my ballpark. My dad did a lot of research on this motor when he was looking for a diesel for his old bronco. He was primarily focused on the QSB line. During his research he came across this thread about a new Tacoma built for the mines here in Idaho. I am not good at this whole posting this so the thread may be dead. I just noticed the photos are dead, but you can read the specs.

2007 Tacoma SAS, Cummins Motor, LC links and coils, Not a crawler but a wheeler - YotaTech Forums

My dad called the fab shop, Peak Mechanical, said they were very helpful and they like the motor a lot on the highway, even with 4.30 gears and the 6 speed manual.

As a side note- they are starting to build Tacos because they can no longer get the 70 series, even for mine use, in the US.

My dad ended up finding a good Isuzu diesel at Pacific that he swapped into his bronco with a NV4500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom