Builds Cummins 6bt/nv4500 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The only reason I had to open up the Ford rear was the hub seal blew and coated my drum brakes with grease. Besides the hub using bolts instead of studs to hold shaft in it was very similar.

Started digging into front the other night. Passenger side was first and probably didn't need to be touched but I want to paint the hubs, deep clean and paint the knuckle, install updated studs on the steering arms and will replace inner axle seal anyway since its apart. Driver side I know is leaking and will be tearing down that side tonight. Cleaning and paint for a few days and hopefully have it back on the road next week.

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

I am also still rocking flip flops while working on the truck. I managed to not go to the ER, again, to have a toe nail removed from dropping a birf on it.
IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

Front knuckes are torn down completely. I am soaking everything in diesel overnight and hopefully it does most of the cleaning for me. First time trying diesel. Usually I have a scrubbing marathon using simple green.
I also got some goodies from @beno. Switching to 80 series stock steel rims. Also Onur found some non acorn lug nuts for me which is purely a cosmetic addition.
The Duratracs I had on the aluminum rims will be moved to my Ford and a new set of 315/75 BFG KO2 will go on the steelies.
7868C958-D68F-40FC-8862-0D5AB5CFAF9F.jpeg

E9B5CBE1-D593-486A-9EE3-6B1A4C598CF5.jpeg

FEDA33DF-7977-497E-9E3F-8BE7333A35A9.jpeg

Picked up the tires from Discount Tire and proceeded to get home unload tires and then realized they were the wrong size when I went to mount the first one.
I don’t know how this got by me when I was loading them up. Now back at Discount getting the correct size put on.
He’s the photo I took right before I realized it. They do look good on the wheels. Heavy as s*** though. Probably why I didn’t realize the mistake.
E15C3B66-B1DC-4734-9744-580C289C71C1.jpeg

Well now I have two stuck wheels. I wanted to put on the new wheels but rears are bonded to the hubs. My guess I put the hubs on after painting and they were a bit tachy still. I’ve beat on them pretty good and they aren’t bugging. I even used the Mule as an anchor with a strap but since the front is on stands still I didn’t want to get to extreme with my ideas.
Any suggestions?

BFH

Had a super duty that I couldn't get one on the wheels off and Gave up and took it to a shop they had a 20# rubber mallet and beat the s*** out of it from the back side till it came loose. 10-12 good hits.

BFH

Had a super duty that I couldn't get one on the wheels off and Gave up and took it to a shop they had a 20# rubber mallet and beat the s*** out of it from the back side till it came loose. 10-12 good hits.
Seems to be what I am finding. I tried with my small sledge but probably not enough. It’s dark now and I’m more than frustrated so I will wait till tomorrow or after I get the front end on the ground so I can really get mad at it.

I got the damn things off. I sprayed some PB blaster inside the studs last night and this morning they came off with about 20 or so whacks with 4lb sledge while rotating tire.
New wheels and tires on in the rear.
339079E8-898A-40BA-84B4-C794118E1183.jpeg

3108B6E9-4901-4475-BE1D-B9ED17927E2F.jpeg

Plenty of tread left on the Duratracs after 25K. This is the second set of hand me downs the Ford will get from the 80
7A4C6744-AF58-4C6F-A67A-1AFD4522DD6F.jpeg

Those wheels are solid sexy Cim. Awesome man.
Damn right they do! Also gained a better step (hub) to access the roof.

Home stretch now on the front end. Waiting on paint to dry which puts me putting everything together to have it back on the road before turkey day which was my goal.
I made a few mods along the way. Deleting the backing plates. Cut then up to keep as a spacer only. Also modified the ABS sensors to work better with my application which is as block off plate only. I could have left them as is but now I don’t have to pull them to pull axle. One less step next time.
E08C15AD-8EA4-4E7A-90CD-F1CDE7270D84.jpeg

4E041336-5B9F-421E-A130-EFCE5D0ACF04.jpeg

Unmodified sensor on right and modified ones on left. I will be pulling all the wires as well.
A5295EDE-83F1-48C3-9E51-9960C0F15A2F.jpeg

Last edited:
Glad to see the Duratracs wearing so well. I just put a brand new set on my Cruiser.

Glad to see the Duratracs wearing so well. I just put a brand new set on my Cruiser.
Yeah they look pretty good for 25K or so on them. I almost got another set but chose the KO2 instead. No reason behind it other than trying something new. The Duratracs will get good use on the F350.

D809E360-AF0F-4ABE-8095-A1C7EAB0815A.jpeg
Yeah they look pretty good for 25K or so on them. I almost got another set but chose the KO2 instead. No reason behind it other than trying something new. The Duratracs will get good use on the F350.
Haven’t had mine long but so far I’m pretty impressed with them. Even got some mixed off-road on them.

Changed out sway bar bushings front and rear over the weekend. What a difference it made as it feels much stiffer now with no noises. I went with Moog on the bushings and the front links. I had gone through 3 front drivers side bushings in the last 25K due to my crank case vent blowing oily mist on it. The Moog showed "oil resistant" so we will see. The rears looked like they were still in good shape but I replaced anyway since it was cheap. Front links were toast.
RockAuto prices
Moog K90535 - rear bushing - $4.18/pair
Moog K90545 - front bushing - $4.18/pair
Moog K750078 - front stabilizer bar link - $18.61 each

Going back to your build, how do you like your short shifter? What did you use for your clutch/master assembly?
I never used the stock shifter but I do like the short. I am using a 60 series master and Dodge slave. For the master I have an adapter to make the hose.

Working in the service industry has its perks. I got invited to an event at Circuit Of The America’s in which we were able to ride along with a driver around the track in a Audi R8. Coworker and I got there early enough to do a three sessions. First driver I had got up to 148 on the straight and was slamming into turns like a mad man, which I loved. Once I calmed down from the excitement of it I took a short video on my last time out. The video does not do it justice at all. They were pushing these things hard enough to have to cool the engine and brakes after several sessions. Driver told me they would go through a new set of tires today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom