Builds Cummins 6BT install in FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not true. The factory locker option is in tacomas and 4runners and uses the old 8" ring gear. Cruiser diff is better than tundra for sure

Let me see if I can find a few pictures.. I know I took a few from under there,.
I talked to Russ from Portal-Tek, and he said they should beable to start building with in 2-3 weeks. I cant wait untill I can put her back togeather again.

Here is a pic with the Toyota Engine and one with the Cummins taken from underneith.
Toyota.jpg
Diesel.jpg

So with the body lift the Cummins pan is only 2" -
3" lower?

Is the oil pan the only reason you're having to go with custom axles, as far as clearance is concerned? It seems that the oil pan is causing you a lot of grief that is going to make the truck VERY tall. It would seem logical to me to rework the pan, so that the motor can sit lower, and so you don't have to go to custom axles. Allowing you to not be ~12" over stock height.

I just think it will be so freakin tall that it will be unwieldy and not fun to drive/wheel. I don't know all that much about diesel's, so maybe there's a reason no one has suggested reworking the pan before. But assuming some general principles are the same, I don't see why a dry sump system wouldn't work on a diesel. And I guarantee you a dry sump system is a LOT cheaper than a new set of portal tek's and having to rework your entire suspension. Even if you do have to go to alloy shafts and longfield birf's.

Ary

Actually, the Cummins will sit only 3" higher than the stock, and thats at the valve cover... the oil pan will sit in the same spot, I will have it sitting 3" above the skid plate up front, allowing for clearence of the a/c and easier removal of the oil pan in the case that i may one day have to remove it. The body lift will help with the hood clearence, but I got the body lift to compansate for the 37" Krawlers, so they could fit in the wheel wells, because they were cutting into the fenders. I decided on the Portals for a few reasons....
Yes, I could have just went with a different built rear end custom made to work work with the Toyota suspension. By using the Cummins and the 47re (Dodge automatic transmission) I had to go from a off set (all wheel drive) differential to a standard Center differential. .. This gave way to more options and more headaches. By going with a centered diff, I have to do something about the rear axel, and the fuel tank. change, or replace. But I can also go to a part time 4 wheel drive, choose a different T/C with the options of 2-4 speeds, and have the option of going with a set of portals which will give additional clearence of the diffs.
but to answer your question... no its not because of the oil pan.. thats the least of my worries. I can have that cut, modified, hammered and re welded to work as needed. I am planning on adding an extra inch on either side of the axels to give me some more stability. Also, If im lucky, Ill beable to hit a cruising speed of 75mph. I dont need any more speed than that. It wasent built for road racing.
one of the advantages of the Portal-Tek axels, is that they will be a direct bolt in replacement. no extra cutting or welding needed.
True, I could get a dana 60-70 or 80 and stuff back there.. but after everything is all said and done, Id still be looking at about 4-5K to be modded to fit the Cruiser. Im just buying a new front axel also. a stock set of these portals are 8500 out the door. Not to bad.. still expensive.. but my current set up now is in need of up grades... My brakes are not up to stopping my truck anymore with the 37" tires. and they probably wont hold the power of the Cummins for ever. Im adding 16" rotors, CTIS, 300M axel shafts, beefed up parts, etc. to beable to compansate for what i am going with.
As far as the ride height, stability, and other issues... I wont know what its like untill I actually test drive it... I have kept all of my stock suspension parts, so if i have to I can always remove the 6" lift, and just get heavy duty stock ride height springs.

-Ron

One day when my motor dies I will go diesel and soft-top.
Nice build.

Tapage You mean that the 6" coils from slee aren't enough to handle the 6BT wheigh :?

Ohh, no, they are plenty up to it.. its just, 6" of spring on top of an additional 5" of axle lift + 3" of body lift will really put me up there. Im gonna have to get new rims and tires to replace my new rims and tires that i just bought.(37" krawlers) they will most likely look too small. I plan on going with some 20" military michelins. Id like to get thier XZL's. though I think they only come in 52", Id like to get them in 44" to 46".

I cant wait untill I get my axles. Ive been with out my cruiser for too long.

Unfortuantally, one of my neighborly neighbors decided that they didnt like my freshly washed, waxed, and shiney tire coated landcruiser sitting out front of my house. Since it is still currentaly registered and tagged/insured, the HOA could do nothing.. so they called the cops and told them it was not running. (I only told 3 people. and 2 of them live next door and dont mind.. the 3ed one.. his wife is on the HOA board....) so the sticker said move non-running vehicle off the road or it will be towed.. then the officer wrote, something like.. concider this your warning, move vehicle or city will tow.
So its like 8pm at night, and i see this sticker.. :eek: :mad: :censor::censor: :censor:

So I have to push my cruiser around untill I can line it up to the back of my driveway, which is on a slope. I tried pushing it, but didnt want to risk damaging my Taco and Cruiser. Then I tried to come-a-long it up using my old stripped to the bone charger. well, with out all the extra steel on her.. the cruiser was too heavy.. so i get out the tow straps, connecct one end to the Tacos reciever, the other to the driveline of the cruiser, put it in 4lo, and lock the rear diff. then i burn all 4 wheels up the driveway and into the garage. by this time its about 10pm at night. and im hoping that the person who turned me in can here me. Well, after shorting the strap multiple times, and regretting the buning smell of the clutch on my truck, I get her up far enough innto the drive way to put some 4x4s under her to keep her from going back down.
Ok, all done? .. well not quite., now that I got myself in the garage, the cruiser i pulled up shifted to the side a little causing the bumpers to over lap. :censor:
its not my night. Ok, ive done this before, just with a steel car and not a tin truck. So, I go for the hi-lift jack. crank up the rear end of the taco, and then push her off of it to the side. BAM, jack slides in a little to far and dents my truck.. :censor: :censor: , Let the jack down, and try again. by 11pm, the truck squeezes out of the garage and just gets by the cruiser. Now i have to get cleaned up. 12am midnight., that gives me 3hrs 30min to sleep before I wake to go to work agagin. :censor:.

5 days after this I get a letter from the HOA telling me to Remove the Unlicensed/Non Runnable vehicle from my DRIVEWAY. :censor: you got to be kidding me. so now im really hot. They didnt do anything when it was on the road (not hurting anything one or anything, pluss it looks damn good for not running.) because they seen it had tags and it didnt look like a peice of crap falling apart infront of my house. They wait untill its in my drive way with a wheel chock to Bitch about it. so I call up the lady and wonder what the hell is going on.. well,.. she dont know anything. she said .. "is it tagged/licensed/insured. I say yeah., someone already complaned it was on the street to the police, so i moved it to the driveway. we have 4 cars, and im driving the ones that get better gas milage. now I get a letter from you saying you want my nice looking Crusier removed from MY Driveway in frot of MY House. ... she says... " Ohh.. well if its insured and all, there should be no problem. I said I know.. she says. OK, Well ill remove this violation from the computer and sorry for the trouble. what a pain.
So I am leaving this morning to go to work. I take the trash down and i notice that the drivers side mirror is pushed back towards the hood. I think.. huh.. thats odd. so i go to push it back and... :censor: the damn things broke. just swings back and forth.. wasent like that before.. ugh, Id just like to catch them once.. just once. ...

Well, other than that.. I should be getting my axles sometime next month, along with the Atlas 4-Speed. then the Transmission should be ready by July.
and sometime that month, I hope to drive her.

I am in the real estate buisness and i say FAWK HOA and the members on the boards! It's your fawking real estate, you pay for it, you pay taxes, fawk someone who doesn't like what you are doing on your property. . .

sorry for the rant, i deal with that crap every day. People so busy watching what everyone else does.

Yeah. I fell better now. sometimes you just got to let it out.:beer: :popcorn:

I feel your pain brother.
I had my truck parked out front of my house and found an 8"x5" fluorescent (sp?) sticker right in the middle of the drivers view of the windshield (you know, the ones that are near impossible to remove). The dumb :censor: wrote that my truck was "junked". WTF?? It's a 2000 Tacoma with some trail damage. Big deal. :rolleyes: So I moved it around back, in the driveway (alley side of house). The stupis ass :censor: sends me a letter saying I gotta remove MY truck from MY property. I'm soooo ready to move the hell away. HOAs and code officers can :censor: my :censor: .

Now, back to your regularly scheduled buildup thread.;)

Sorry Ron!!! That really sucks!! I8HOA forum for us all.

Project FJ80 said:
i just bought.(37" krawlers) they will most likely look too small.

hahahahahaah I thought the same when I see my 37" in my cruiser ..

Project FJ80 said:
I plan on going with some 20" military michelins. Id like to get thier XZL's. though I think they only come in 52", Id like to get them in 44" to 46".

Woouuu big jump ! I thought I goo to 39" but 52" nice .. !

Project FJ80 said:
Yeah. I fell better now. sometimes you just got to let it out.:beer: :popcorn:

When you are done, bro...find the little old lady's Buick that bitched about ur Cruiser, and run that s*** over!

Hmmm...too bad some used Unimog axles wouldn't work for ya...they are portal type...dunno about offsets, etc...but man, way cheaper than Portal Tek's...but hell...what's another few bux for piece of mind!

Good luck with that impending axle swap, and keep us posted

Some good info for anyone looking to do this in the future and use Mog stuff...

http://www.killeraxles.com/html/axle_measurements.html

Yeah, I think ill go salt her yard,. They do say that a turbo is a muffling device. maybe ill just drive around her house a few times at night to keep her in check.

Other than that, yeah.. the axles are a bit pricy, but I think im going to beable to get 4.55:1 or so gear ratio compaired to a 5+. 4.10s would be nice. that would get me 65mph in 3ed and 75+ in OD. Im working with ATS right now. They have a system where i am able to start out in any gear that I want. even over drive... Cant wait untill I get everything. though it seems like the end of june to mid july before everything is here.

great idea and nice write up ron! i hear ya on the HOA BS. i had to move my troopie case it did'nt have american plates yet. bastards. oh well, it's better off at my shop anyways.

keep up the great work, very much looking forward to the first road test!:beer:

Project FJ80 said:
though it seems like the end of june to mid july before everything is here.

take your countdown !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom