Builds Cummins 6BT install in FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

awesome. what kind of timeframe are you looking at for it to be driveable?

The Madness will stop sometime in the year 2009 or 2010. ..by then I think it will be time to buy a newer fzj80 from Venezula, and transfer all the mods from my current 1996 80 to a newer 80, hopefully a 2004-2010 if they are still producing that body style. I found a page long ago which had some nice information.

As a side note, the 80 series is actually not dead. It's still in production.

For most markets the last 80 series was sold in 1997-1998. However, production still continues in some very small markets,
such as Venezuela, where the Land Cruiser is produced in that country for that particular market. See below for more info. In
addition, the 80 series frame and solid axles, front and rear, are used on based model of the new Landcruiser 100, sometimes
referred too as the Land Cruiser 105, and only available in Australia, South American and a few other select markets

http://www.brian894x4.com/LC80.html

Im going to go ahead and use the same bolt pattern. its a good thing you asked about that, because im going to have to install the longer 3" wheel studs.

I am hoping to have it up and running by June 18th, but I think that might be pushing it. Im told that the axles should only take a few weeks to build, but they are waiting for parts. After I receive the axles and transfercase, Ill install them, then line up the engine/tranny/transfer case with the rear differental and fab the motor mounts so everything is straight and true. I think then ill have to move or modify the fuel tank for the driveline, and get a new correct sized rear driveline if needed. Im hoping to drive it in june. If not.. For sure ill have her up and running by July.

Project FJ80 said:
Does anyone run a full hydro setup on the front end? or a hydro assist? wondering which I should go with.

-Ron

One question... You going to drive this to the trail or will she be trail ONLY???? I would go "assist" if you plan on taking her on the street, she will be real touchy if you go full hydro and hit the pavement...

-Ammo

I will be driving this to the trail, and to work.. 5 miles from the house.

Project FJ80 said:
I will be driving this to the trail, and to work.. 5 miles from the house.

Well then go "assist"... going full hydro you will have 1 to 1 ratio on the steering wheel, thus you even flinch.... and there she goes....

-Ammo

Ron, I think you made a good choice to just go directly with Protel-Tek's. You'd spend quite a bit just in the front axle to get it up to snuff if you decided to go with Longfields, chromo inners, new ring and pinion, probably replace the spindles, then the whole rebuild gaskets, etc. Just that gets you up above $1500.

As for tires, maybe check into going with some Michelin's.

the XML's can be found in 12.00R20 (44.5" tall by 12.2" wide for a 20" rim)
the XZL's are also around and in lots of different sizes depending on age. I've seen 12.00, 12.50 and 13.00R20's. don't know all the specs on those. of course 20" rims might be an issue but it opens up lots of big tires...

Wow Ron!!!! how high are you going?? With slee 6" springs + 5" portal + 3" body lift. WOW! If you wanted smaller springs I might be able to do a 2.5" OME lift swap + cash for some of the 6" stuff....or maybe you want a 14" lift.

Check out the rig on pirates with portals, 3 lift and 40s. It does not look overly tall, seems to fit well. With the tires he is choosing I think it should not be overly tall.

Can you get those slee springs to sit a little lower? Maybe droop would be a better thing than more lift.

clarkrw3 said:
Wow Ron!!!! how high are you going?? With slee 6" springs + 5" portal + 3" body lift. WOW! If you wanted smaller springs I might be able to do a 2.5" OME lift swap + cash for some of the 6" stuff....or maybe you want a 14" lift.

I think Ill be better of with the hyd assist, a 1:1 ratio would get me introuble on the highway. I do like the Michelin XZL's. Best part about them is I can get a set of 5 for about a grand, slightly used. Super Swampers run $450+ a peice. I wonder how heavy they are.

I didnt plan on having a 14" lift, but i didnt plan on getting portals either. Its just one thing led to the next, and.. well.. thats what happens when you join
IH8MUD. Now you guys, (and girls), have forced me to make my wife :princess: work extra days so i can afford all of this.. ohh. and i too have to work a gruling 12 hours per day to keep up with this IH8MUD lifestyle. :crybaby: I keep telling her that this will build character, and it will bring us (the landcruiser and I) closer togeather. ...:ban:
I donno what im going to do about the height yet.. Ill have to try it out and see how it feels. What I like about the Slee springs is that they are so much thicker than the stock ones.. and they will hold the weight better.
The one on piriate thats up on the guardrail? I agree that it doesent look all that tall. As long as its safe and can be utilized to its full potential, Ill run it.

Slee 4" coils? Keep COG down a tad?

TY

PS: Niiiiice job man. Awesome, as always, to see something out of the box. :beer: :beer:

Are you planning on doing lots of work on the truck this weekend? :D

I can't wait to see how this turns out.

no,... why, do you plan on comming out to help me? All's I have left to do is to raise the engine up by 2" and probably scoot her forward about an inch or two. Drop the Gas tank, and then wait untill june to install the portals and Transfercase.

Now, that would be a 80 you can tow with. You can really do alot with the 215 hp P7100 injection pump to make some serious power. Of course, you'll have to spend some money on the auto tranny to hold the power. Keep the pics coming.

Did you do the KDP fix (killer dowel pin)? If not, I would do it.

No, I have not dont the KDP fix yet.. But I do plan on doing that... Sice I have been forced (Might as well have.. would have anyways) to go with the Portal-Tek axels, because Toyotas offset axel wont work with my new setup.
So by June or July, Ill be selling off the Engine/Tranny/Transfercase, Locked F&R Axels disk to disc and drum to drum. F&R Bumper, Maybe 3ed row seats and fuel tank. All though, I just might keep the Front axle to do the SAS on the Tacoma. Donno about that yet..
Depending on Finances in june/july, will depend on weather or not I have the Transmission built.. Though I dont think I can Afford to get Built axles, the 4-speed Atlas and on top of that have the Transmission built. I think im looking at 15K for the axles (which includes more options than listed) 2800 for the transfercase, and they want about 7K for the Transmission. Im soposed to be keeping my budget to 10K per year. not 25K.:doh: If not, I should be fine with the tranny untill sometime next year. I wont be modifing the engine anytime soon. Im still hoping for 20-25mpg.

Project FJ80 said:
No, I have not dont the KDP fix yet.. But I do plan on doing that... Sice I have been forced (Might as well have.. would have anyways) to go with the Portal-Tek axels, because Toyotas offset axel wont work with my new setup.
So by June or July, Ill be selling off the Engine/Tranny/Transfercase, Locked F&R Axels disk to disc and drum to drum. F&R Bumper, Maybe 3ed row seats and fuel tank. All though, I just might keep the Front axle to do the SAS on the Tacoma. Donno about that yet..
Depending on Finances in june/july, will depend on weather or not I have the Transmission built.. Though I dont think I can Afford to get Built axles, the 4-speed Atlas and on top of that have the Transmission built. I think im looking at 15K for the axles (which includes more options than listed) 2800 for the transfercase, and they want about 7K for the Transmission. Im soposed to be keeping my budget to 10K per year. not 25K.:doh: If not, I should be fine with the tranny untill sometime next year. I wont be modifing the engine anytime soon. Im still hoping for 20-25mpg.

I think you should be able to build a nice DTT transmission for 5K or less. Are you a member of www.turbodieselregister.com ?

No, ,,, I think you have to buy thier magizine or something inorder to join.. Dont quite know. But I dont think its free. All though I do read on posts that are avi. I just cant post.. The extra 2K comes from ats' stan alone computer and valve body the goes with it... Since the Engine I am using has no computer controlled devices on it at all.

AMMO said:
Well then go "assist"... going full hydro you will have 1 to 1 ratio on the steering wheel, thus you even flinch.... and there she goes....

-Ammo

What do you mean by a 1:1 ratio? If you mean that there will be no play in the wheel, you are correct. However how many turns you have lock to lock and thereby how sensitive the steering is, is completely dependent on your steering valve's flow capacity, your pump's output, and the size of the ram. You can vary it from 2 turns lock to lock, to 6 turns lock to lock depending on what components you use.

Ary

20-25mpg! :eek:

I'm curious how this turns out. I plan to keep my FZJ80 for a long time and this would be a sweet conversion.

Project FJ80 said:
No, ,,, I think you have to buy thier magizine or something inorder to join.. Dont quite know. But I dont think its free. All though I do read on posts that are avi. I just cant post.. The extra 2K comes from ats' stan alone computer and valve body the goes with it... Since the Engine I am using has no computer controlled devices on it at all.

somebody had to do it! Great engine. Sometime post a picture of the oilpan and front framework, would you? I'd like to see the fit.

TDR is $35. to join and well worth it.

You might be a tad optimistic about the milage, but maybe not. Both of my trucks give 16 - 20 mpg, but the trucks weigh in at about 7500 lbs. Not sure how much effect the weight really has because I've got a cabover camper on one of them and it's bumped up to 285 hp and 750 ft lbs. and STILL goes 16 -20 mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom