Crank seal / Timing cover gusher - part number question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DFXR

SILVER Star
Threads
image0 (1).jpeg

Crank seal or timing cover gasket blew out after a 2 hour highway run. Luckily I did not lose pressure and there's still oil in it. But it's really ugly thanks to the fan. And yes, of course... I had just been thinking to myself about how great it was running.

I was a long way from home and not dressed for the mess, so I left it and will go back and tow it home on Friday. There was no real way to clean it and diagnose on the spot, but I can't think of anything else right up front that would blow like that. The crank seal has been weeping for like 12 years anyway.

I am ordering parts and hitting the 10/84 confusion on the timing gear cover gasket.

My 1985 60 is a 10/84 production date which makes it all that much more interesting.

I have seen the post from @OGBeno regarding the singular part number for the crank seal - 90311-45002. That is crucial info, thank you.

My question is for the timing gear cover gasket - I am finding two part numbers for it, with 10/84 as the split date:

11328-60010 (up to 10/84)
11328-61010 (10/84 and later)

Any idea which one I get? I sit right on the line. Or, is there a singular part number for this too?

Thanks for anything-

DF

Those gaskets (either one) only cost $12. Just buy them both and then there won’t be any surprises on wrenching day.

My guess: the crank seal blew out.
The timing cover gasket just sits there quietly with no activity associated with it. The crank seal - geeze- that thing lives in mayhem.

But the $345 question is: why did the crank seal blow? (If that’s what happened)

Take a very good look at the harmonic balancer and it’s fit on the crankshaft.

Also look for missing bolts on the timing gear cover. Maybe a bolt or two finally vibrated out.

Those gaskets (either one) only cost $12. Just buy them both and then there won’t be any surprises on wrenching day.

My guess: the crank seal blew out.
The timing cover gasket just sits there quietly with no activity associated with it. The crank seal - geeze- that thing lives in mayhem.

But the $345 question is: why did the crank seal blow? (If that’s what happened)

Take a very good look at the harmonic balancer and it’s fit on the crankshaft.

Also look for missing bolts on the timing gear cover. Maybe a bolt or two finally vibrated out.

Yes, those are the questions I have been chewing on. From what I can tell something else often causes the crank seal to blow. I have not noticed a wobble in the HB, but it's not like I spent a lot of time looking before this. So many other things to monitor. Gear walking out behind the seal? But I think I would have noticed if one of the gears walked out. It still runs fine.

Until I get back to it, it's just a big wet mess waiting to be sorted out.

X2 on checking the crank pulley
unless there was a build up of internal preasure to blow the seal out, something else is wrong.
if there was an internal preasure issue, that needs fixed

X2 on checking the crank pulley
unless there was a build up of internal preasure to blow the seal out, something else is wrong.
if there was an internal preasure issue, that needs fixed
Internal pressure would be a PCV issue, correct? Like a kinked vac line or completely plugged PCV valve?

yes, plugged PCV, unless you are getting alot of blow by

I noticed yesterday a lot of buildup on my timing cover, leading me to suspect the crank seal in my 3FE is starting to leak (35 years and 340K miles of wear sounds reasonable). Even with an electric radiator fan and no shroud or clutch fan to fight with, I am NOT looking forward to tackling this job.

Fortunately nothing is leaking heavily yet, and I only get one or two drops on the driveway in a week's time, but I'm of the mind that I'd be wise to get this handled ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom