Cottonland Electronic Devices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After our trip to Big Bend I've decided to go to a setup closer to what @ntsaint is running except with an Android tablet running Back Country Navigator for the sake of better mapping than my current Garmin 550T and to be able to see the damn thing without reading glasses while driving down the road. That being said, does anyone have any suggestions on which Tablet might work out the best for this application?

Whatever tablet you get i would just make sure to get one with cellular data built in. I have no idea on the make/model when it comes to androids though. Samsung is the leader i think.

ASUS makes them for Samsung

image.jpeg

I use a Nexus 7. They can be found for under $100 refurbished. Nice size screen and not too heavy to tax your mount. For mounts I use a Socshe magnetic mount I found at Walmart one mount in each car fits all my devices.

Whatever tablet you get i would just make sure to get one with cellular data built in. I have no idea on the make/model when it comes to androids though. Samsung is the leader i think.
No need if you have personal hotspot on your phone. It will keep your cost down. I use my iPhone for the hotspot.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453303284.002952.jpg
this is my 1st gen Nexus 7 I've used for over five years. It's made by Asus.

^ That's true, but i like the simplicity of not having to worry about all that when i'm on the road. Turn on the ipad, rock and roll.

It is cheaper to do it that way though, will concede that.

I just recently used my Nexus 7 to map the KOH qualifier coarse at HSORVP to give to the racers for their Lowrance units.

Google Maps has a feature now where you can pre download maps and routes. Really good idea for traveling to areas with no cell phone service. Best to make sure your tablet has a removable micro SD slot.

I am ready to upgrade my tablet. The POS I bought only had 1 gb of RAM (biggest mistake I ever made). Get 3 GB RAM at minimum and it will probably last longer than you want to keep it.

Google Maps has a feature now where you can pre download maps and routes. Really good idea for traveling to areas with no cell phone service. Best to make sure your tablet has a removable micro SD slot.

I am ready to upgrade my tablet. The POS I bought only had 1 gb of RAM (biggest mistake I ever made). Get 3 GB RAM at minimum and it will probably last longer than you want to keep it.

All the offroad map programs have the ability to download maps for offline use...it's basically required, especially where we were last week (zero service).

An SD slot would be nice, but you are 100% in droid territory then.

Disk space is very important here too...i have about 10GB of offline maps downloaded on my IPad right now. Need to move from the 32gb model to a 128gb eventually.

The Cheapo Handhelds were legit. The battery lasted all day. The accessories are cheap. The best thing is to get two and make sure one is in charge at night.

Picked up a Samsung Tab E yesterday. Got all my map crap loaded on it now.

wish ya'll just had a cool man sh#t thread, stuff like knives, stuff you built, boats, etc.

Lol

Alright, so do y'all like the ipad or android better overall for automotive use?

If i had to guess, whoever is carrying a droid phone will have a droid table, iphone / IPad, etc.

The offroad app for Android is better IMO, BackCountry Navigator. That being said i carry an Ipad.

Android is open source software.
Normally App support and available choices is going to be a wider variety.

I have both an Iphone 6s and Galaxy note 4.
I'll take the Android all day over the iphone but that's my preference.

Google Maps was so much better than Iphone maps that Iphone had to pay google for an iphone version, if my understanding is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom