cooling return plug broke (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good Morning every one

While preparing the 1Fblock to sand and paint I decided to remove the coolant plug and while inspection, it looks like the tip of the threaded end broke off and I don't know what to do and it looks like is pluged with rust.

My question is if I drilled it out and tap it. and all that material ends up inside the block what will that cause any problems down the road?

upload_2017-2-7_9-56-34.png

This drain is located at the bottom of the cooling water chamber, so it's likely any chips that get pushed in could be flushed out or vacuumed out or scooped out if necessary.

I suggest you start by poking at that crud the picture shows, and see if you can start flushing water out of that opening. Then you could confirm if there are any threads left from the old fitting.

Toyota still offers a replacement drain fitting for this location.

Those threads are 3/8 BSPT which have the same threads per inch as standard 3/8 pipe threads but a slightly different taper. After you clean it out, a standard 3/8 pipe tap will convert it to standard pipe thread quite smoothly and then you have many options to re-plumb it. Use a simple 3/8 brass pipe plug or get as fancy as you wish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom