Coolant leak from what appears to be center rear of motor. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's the PHH of the 200 Series.

OK... PHH.... So I even checked the FAQ's list of acronyms, and came up blank...

Panting Huckleberry Hound
Pissy Hellcat Hand-grenade
Pink High Heels
Poopy Hard Hat

I give up...

-What the heck does PHH stand for?? :meh::hillbilly:o_O

Last edited:
It's not a laughing matter. 11 hrs of shop time and parts- was not cheap. I wish it was only $750.

It's not a laughing matter. 11 hrs of shop time and parts- was not cheap. I wish it was only $750.

Actually the PHH reference is indeed funny, but I hear you. As my 5.7 had all kinds of mischief done to it by the dealer, I fully expect leaks from every possible location. Now that's not funny.

:)
Might as well give this one an Acronym. Since everyone is going to see it sooner or later.

They call it Engine Valley Coolant Leak. Hereby known as EVCL Now I get a penny every time it is mentioned on MUD. Ha.

Service manager says he is seeing a lot of them on Tundra and Sequoia.

:)
Might as well give this one an Acronym. Since everyone is going to see it sooner or later.

They call it Engine Valley Coolant Leak. Hereby known as EVCL Now I get a penny every time it is mentioned on MUD. Ha.

Service manager says he is seeing a lot of them on Tundra and Sequoia.

I think it needs 'Pesky' in the front of it for historical reasons... and maybe drop the 'Coolant' part, that way it's a PEVL or P-EVL (since it seems pretty EViL, at least to the wallet). ;)

What is the approx cost at dealer to fix?

Parts- $165- Labor- $1298

Last edited:
Did you Have other things done? Mine was quoted at 5 hours. He said it took a little longer to clean everything but 1298 in labor seems a bit much just for the valley leak.

I agree. Have call into Service director. It seems like it depends on who you get and how slow they are. 11 hours vs 5 hours is a big difference. Don't like getting taken advantage of- so I will see what they say.

I also own a Lexus ISF with the 5.0l variant of the 2UR (2UR-GSE) and this coolant leak is a well known problem in these cars. It is thought to be a failure of the sealant and not a design flaw. My motor had to be rebuilt at 35k mi (long story) and so the plate was resealed at the assembly (it had not been leaking) and now at 75k mi there is no sign of leakage. My assumption is that once repaired it will not return. The water pump was leaking at the time and was replaced. There was a new part number for the water pump and it’s design was a little different with an extra bolting point and different gasket.

I have done this repair on my 09 lx and was wondering if there was another option instead of the fipg? My a rubber gasket of some sort.. Both the mating surfaces are nice and flat and I would think it wouldn't be that hard for a company like Fel Pro to make one...Any thoughts?

I have done this repair on my 09 lx and was wondering if there was another option instead of the fipg? My a rubber gasket of some sort.. Both the mating surfaces are nice and flat and I would think it wouldn't be that hard for a company like Fel Pro to make one...Any thoughts?
Yep. Used Prussian Blue to coat the flat flange at the top of the engine than pressed a sheet of FelPro 3075 onto it to make a pattern. Cut it out and POOF, instant non FIPG.

No leaks so far.

Add me to the list- 11 LX570 with 95K and now the Engine Valley Coolant Leak. Water pump at 85K now this. EVCL = EVIL

Any one talk with Toyota/Lexus about a recall or something? Lexus forum notes a $500 credit on out of warranty vehicles for the repair...

While replacing the damn check valves, I discovered the "Valley plate" leak. I've removed all bolts and nuts, but at the front I've removed the rubber hose, but can't figure out the pipe underneath it? It's the only thing holding up the removal. Anyone have any pointers?

Only a guess, remove the 2 studs and slide rearwards possibly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom