Convert 22R-E back to EFI (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jd8

Threads
Yes, you read that right. I am considering purchasing a 1987 4Runner that two owners previous to me converted to a Weber carb. I am assuming he used the LCE kit since it also has an LCE carb intake manifold.

The plugs for the ECU are still underneath the kick plate but aside from that I am not sure what is present and what is not.

carb-jpg.2804014
carb2.jpg
carb3.jpg
ecu.jpg

I know some people would prefer the carb but I would prefer for it to be original EFI. Aside from this, the truck is solid. Any input on the cost/complexity to convert back to all OEM EFI would be appreciated.

Thanks!

carb.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure why that picture posted twice. Also not sure why I don't see a button to edit the post.

Not sure why that picture posted twice. Also not sure why I don't see a button to edit the post.
Your post count isn't high enough to edit. I only see one set of pictures.

Looks like you would need the engine bay harness and ECM. Best I can tell they likely trimmed the engine bay harness.

Then probably an EFI upper/lower intake + throttle body + air flow meter. Fuel injectors.

On the 22re computer there are 3 separate plugs that plug into it. If I recall correctly, 1 is off the body harness.(the harness that runs inside the cab) and 2 off the engine harness that comes in through the firewall port.

Thats about where I would start with thinking of the swap.

What it will come down to is how hacked the dash/cowl harness is. If they cut off plugs to make this work then you would need to source those to hook up the engine harness, and the ecu.

OMG I feel like this is my first time using a forum, sorry guys!

Thank you both for the help, low post count explains it!

As far as the parts go, I think I have that figured out as well. The person selling the truck has a parts truck and he is willing to include all of the EFI parts from the parts truck as part of the sale deal. So...

- ECU
- engine harness
- full intake manifold
- throttle body
- AFM
- injectors

If you see anything obviously missing from that list please let me know. Hopefully the swap won't be too hard. I am guessing I will need some vacuum line to connect all of the ports on the intake manifold.

What it will come down to is how hacked the dash/cowl harness is. If they cut off plugs to make this work then you would need to source those to hook up the engine harness, and the ecu.

Right. I am hoping that the harness has not been cut up too badly. I plan on getting a parts truck eventually, so I guess worst case scenario is wait to do the EFI swap until I have a parts truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom