1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Console cooler

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by pbuschbeck, Feb 26, 2007.

1. pbuschbeck

pbuschbeck

I am new to my '92 FJ80, and am having a problem with the center console cooler.
    The a/c works fine, but there is no way I can make the cooler to work. I t just keeps blowing hot air, in either the cool or ice position

Is there a separate system for this or it runs on the same as the car a/c?
    How do I make it to work. I know the car a/c must be working for it to work, so that is not the problem.

All help is welcome

Peter Buschbeck

2. antor

antor

I dont think that is a rear cooler,it is the rear passenger heater only.
    high or low heat only on mine, its a 95 though.

3. loquito

loquito

There is a center console cooler that you put drinks into and it acts like a fridge, This is not what you are talking about though, right.
    If you are talking about the center vents on the dash I do not rememnber them having there own control on my 91.

4. pbuschbeck

pbuschbeck

Yes I am talking of the fridge, but I cant get it to work right

5. TomH

TomH SILVER Star

We were not fortunate enough to get rear air or cool boxes here in the U.S. so there isn't a ton of knowledge on how the systems work. In this thread, mot posted some schematic that may help you. The whole system (ac, rear ac, and cool box) should be tied together so if one works, they should all work - I think.

Tom

6. pbuschbeck

pbuschbeck

They should, and I guessed so, but each part apparently has an independent condenser or air partitioner or something.
    I think this because there are independent controls for the front and the rear systems, as well as a selector in the fridge for cool or ice maker.

It doesn't inhibits me to go offroading with a bad fridge, but would be nice to have it ok.

Thanks on the link, I downloaded the pics and have a better idea of everything, but still have no clue of what is going wrong.

Peter Buschbeck

7. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

It's interesting .. but in my case I don't need to run the AC ( front or rear ) to set the console freezer to ice or cool position .. and of course function well ..

[​IMG]

Also I'm pretty sure that ir ruuns with the compresor ( AC ) but when you star the AC ( or both ) the AC compensator revs up to 800 rpm but not when you run the console cooler ..

8. honeybadger

honeybadger

I too am having the exact same issue, when on the console cooler just blows hot air!!
    nothing in my manual says anything about the console cooler, just the a/c
    it's beginning to get on my nerves
    anyone with any clues?

9. sailor

sailor Jackass of all trades

It runs on the AC system. When the console fridge is on, even with the dash climate control AC off, the AC clutch engages and the engine will 'idle up' periodically. Perhaps the switches on the cooler are not activating the AC?

10. Cruiser804

Cruiser804 SILVER Star

Albums:
    Best I can do for you....

Attached Files:

11. BCR4619

BCR4619

I too have this problem, so does my dad..... The piping might be to blame here as mine are missing and my dads are cut off.

I think in my case the piping was removed because it was defective but a factory cap was put in place on both ends (pictures were posed somewhere on 'MUD) I have since then picked up a set of lines off a parts truck but now I have to decide what AC freon to convert too.

Cheers

12. LandCruiserPhil

LandCruiserPhil Peter Pan Syndrome Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Tear that junk out!
    You dont need no console cooler they are worthless.
    PM me for my address and I will recycle it for you:grinpimp:

13. CBdeJ

CBdeJ

Present: Seattle Past: Windhoek and Dar es Salaam
    My Cruiser has the rear air and fridge. All are on the same compressor. The system is very sensitive to refrigerant levels. When they are low, you'll get cold out of the first part of the system you turn on. Turn on the rear before the front, the rear will blow cold the front warm. Also it takes some time for the fridge to cool. It may blow hot for 5 minutes before it starts to get cold. The good news it will make ice if properly maintained.

Also you may need to replace some of the filters in the system. For instance when you look under your front bumper on the left there is a cylinder mounted vertically. It's part of the AC system and when I last had AC problems that cylinder was the culprit.

And Phil, just think if you can convince him to send it, you too could have 1) Ice cold glasses, 2) ice (18 cubes at a go) and 3) beautifully chilled gin and tonic water ready for your after drive beverage.

14. 1972FJ55

1972FJ55 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    We've seen bad expansion valves at the cooler-box on some Toyota models that came to the US with the console cooler (Previa/Sienna). We do have listings in the catalogs for that particular valve, however, no way to know if it's the same on the 80's.

15. scotia

scotia

Media:
    Albums:
    Second that. Sounds like the TXV is stuck wide open since it in hot inside the box. If it is....locate is and get all the numbers from it that you can. You may not be able to match it up at toyota but a commercial a/c parts house should be able to match it up. Aslo what CBdej said. The charge can certainly make a didderence but since it is hot, it point closer to the TXV. Is your A/C blowing cold in the cab? Does it change temps from the dash vents when to ice box is turned on?

Note: Tap on the TXV while it is running if you can get to it. Sometimes they can be freed up.