Considering Upgrading the Taco to a Tundra (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did some work on the truck over the weekend:

1. Sanded, naval jellied, primed spots on roof from the magnetic antennas. Used 400/100/1500 grain paper and then automotive body primer. I have some spray paint that supposedly matches coming. It is the top of the truck so don't hold me to anything great here.

Top.jpg

2. Got the chrome step sliders off the body of the truck. Purchased some bolts and nuts that i anti-seized to fill the holes and cover the stud sticking out - all on the under-body of truck (not seen). Pic after with the topper on minus the old step sliders:

no sliders.jpg

3. No pic, but took the drivers seat out and tried to figure out why it seems to move slightly - I couldn't find any place to tighten it up, etc. Had to reinstall and will try again another time.

Looking at this front bumper:

Relentless Fab Predator Bumper.png

And this rear one:

Brute Force High Clearance Bumper.jpg

Need sliders first. Looking at Stubbs.

Would like the HD-SKO - sent a note to Mr Stubbs to see if he has any plans to make for a 1st Gen Tundra :)

Otherwise will prolly just go with the cheap ones.

Rocksliders

Jamie, I have never owned a pickup but what you are doing with this one is bringing forth some "I want it" pangs......Bravo!
You seem to churn through vehicles at an above average rate so I will patiently wait for it's time to prepare to become another member of the "Previously" list on your signature! Now convincing the lovely Mrs. Taylor that we need a truck along with the herd of Cruisers will be a challenge.....

Jeff - Thanks :)

I think this one will be different, but . .no promises, yet. :)

I am still interested in an 80 for trail use, maybe even something smaller to more easily tow like a trail pickup or 4runner. This would all be in ADDITION to the Tundra.

Jeff - Thanks :)

I think this one will be different, but . .no promises, yet. :)

I am still interested in an 80 for trail use, maybe even something smaller to more easily tow like a trail pickup or 4runner. This would all be in ADDITION to the Tundra.
You know what would be great is nicely built 3rd Gen.

Were you looking for something like this?

Slide Out Truck Bed

00a0a_eQBwrau674l_600x450.jpg

Yea - thinking about trying to find one that is the smallest possible width and putting it on the right side. This would give me room on the left side for strapped in water/tools/fuel - maybe a tire.

EDIT - Ah nice those are for sale! I'll have to see if they fit. <$300 is in my price range vs new :) Thanks, Steve!

I could maybe assist with procurement/delivery if thats the way you go.

Thanks, Jason. The Tundra bed on the double cabs is a few inches shorter than the standard 6'5" bed - its so dumb :( . I would really have to measure before buying etc.

If they are still there by the weekend, I will just coordinate and head up. If not, I may continue to look for something smaller.

Thats what a plasma cutter is for...

Thats what a plasma cutter is for...

Hmmm . . . .I guess I am up for anything if you want to try that . . . :) Maybe we could go in half and half and then if it works I would pay your half and buy you a beer . . . and if not, you can buy my half?

My role is only to hand you the grenade and pull the pin. your role is to decide to hold it or throw it. lolol

So it looks like I would want the bed slide for a Tacoma 6' bed. It would fit perfect length-wise (70") and also give me a foot+ on the left hand side to put stuff like water/fuel/spare tire/other that wouldn't need to be slid in/out and I would rather have secured to the bed or bed sides. These things are $1500 new, so I will have to find a used one.

For this weekend:

I got my matching spray paint. Going to touch up the top if it is not raining, etc.

All lift parts are in - going to go through the boxes and check stuff out. Likely will NOT start on this though as we have a full weekend planned :(

Going to un-box the TJM winch. Thing is HEAVY in the box.

Watched this video on removing mirrors. My driver side mirror is loose - need to take it off and see if I can tighten up bolts, etc. I picked up some interior tools for door panels to help with this on Amazon for ~$20. May try to paint the chrome on the mirror . . not decided yet on that.

Also need to mention that I potentially have a new job that should reduce my hours from ~80 per week down to 40-50. It is not the high-profile job I have now, but I need a break - pay is the same, so whatever - may free up more time for working on the truck and actually USING it :)

My winch arrived Wed, and dang that box was heavy. I'm sure brown santa was cursing as he dropped it off.

Yea - glad I got the 800 lb springs for the front suspension, now! :)

BTW @Steelman : I was told I need to buy the 4WD Crew Cab version of the 6112 Bilsteins and I wanted to show you the difference in my springs vs the Eibach's I got.

Some of the posts I saw had the 2WD part number for the Bilstein 6112 PN: 47-243729

I tried to order these, first, but the place I bought them from pushed me toward Bilstein 6112 PN: 47-260337 for 4WD.

Bilstein, Innovation and High Quality Since 1873

Here is the difference in the Spring I got vs the Eibach 800 lb:

20170224_111238.jpg

20170224_111256.jpg

Thinking about just putting a piece of plywood in the back of the truck that has tie-downs bolted on vs spending $$ on a bed slide.

I may remove the bed liner . . . Heather isn't big on that idea, but I would love to remove the top, remove the bed liner and really clean / touch up paint the bed. Then would go back with simply a piece of plywood - cover it top/bottom with marine carpet. I could then custom mount tie downs for 1" straps and action packers, etc.

I can't think of why I need this bed liner other than for looks - with a camper shell already on top. Crap slides all over on it and it is rubbing rust spots underneath it anyway. I am sure there are more positives for it like easier to clean out, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom