Considering Selling the 40, Trades? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been tossing around selling or trading the FJ40 for something the entire family can enjoy like a 60 or maybe an 80. While I am not really interested in posting it on Craigslist or even the classifieds due to location, I thought I put a feeler out here as I have met most of you and if there is interest you can come see it in person.

1975 FJ40 with 2f, 4-speed, and drum brakes. The only thing not in working order is the heater transfer valve (I have an uninstalled replacement) and the rear heater as it's missing. This was a Colorado truck before moving to the midwest in 2014.

Hard top sides and ambulance doors are off a blue 78 and have surface rust that was accumulated in the four years the vehicle has lived here, they were mint before moving. Ambo doors are rust free. Front doors have some rust in the bottoms and pitting on sides (painted with tractor paint to preserve upon moving).Doors and body are original to the truck, 3/4 tub is pretty rough, but is a great candidate for a Aqualu tub.

2F has a Toyota carb that was rebuilt by Jim C a while back. Has headers and good exhaust system, rebuilt radiator, Pertronix ignition, and fresh 20W-50 Valvoline VR1 oil. Fuel system was gone through a while back and has a poly fuel tank. AGM battery included. Smokes for a few seconds on start up every once in a while, runs well otherwise.

Steering system is ok condition, I have replaced most of the components over the years. Needs a true alignment, but it's pretty close. Drum brakes work well and brake evenly. 4" lift kit came with the truck, rear pinion angle has been corrected and driveshaft rebuilt for vibration free operation. 4Plus U-bolt flip kits are included.

Front seats are original with torn vinyl (covers installed). Rear jump seats missing. SOR Extreme Summer top and Best Top soft doors currently installed.

I value it at $10-12k, might be high, but it's also a working vehicle and has not been molested like many. Would consider a trade for the right 60/62, 80, or maybe even a 100. A Tundra is on my list as well.

Build thread with pics along the way: The 75 Musturd Build Thread

Some more details I had pm'd an inquiry that I want to include:

"The 40 runs well and I pretty much only use it to bum around town. I drove it a few days last week as my GX was down for brakes. There are a handful of loose ends that I have not gotten around to as my schedule is kind of nuts now until next year. The biggest being the new wheels/tires need to get re-balanced as Zolman's did a crappy job. It's not noticeable unless you are going 45 or faster, which I rarely do. The passenger side 4+ U-bolt flip kit is not installed as I need to cut off the bolts, the heater valve needs to be replaced (I have a replacement), I need to finalize the 3-point belt install, and some other small stuff like that.

As far as the rust goes 99% of the newer rust has been picked up since I moved here fall of 2014. I have not driven it in the snow since coming here due to he salt issue. It was outside under a cover for a while, but now resides in a garage. The doors are ok, some rust in the bottoms, but far better than most I see. I painted them before moving with Van Sickle tractor pain as they were bare when I purchased the truck. The fiberglass hardtop is original to the truck and in ok condition. The sides and rear doors off a 78 and were rust free when I moved, but now have some surface rust in the corners, shouldn't be an issue to clean up. The ambulance doors are still rust free. The cowl and windshield frame were in really good condition when I had that stuff apart before the move. Hood is good, aprons, etc. Fenders are rough and the 3/4 tub is rough. My plan has always been an Aqualu 3/4 tub so I have not messed with trying to address the rust. I did make a reinforcement bar for the drivers seat mount as I was concerned it would tear through.

The biggest issues I know of are the smoking on startup (not consistent) and some oil leaks that are pretty minor in my opinion. I did have to repair the keyway on the crankshaft by using a new keyway, pulley, etc in conjunction with the special Loctite products designed for the repair. I did that when I first picked it up in 2013 as it had a wobbly pulley and have have zero issues since.

I would encourage you to come look at it in person and gauge it for yourself. Take it for a drive and perhaps you will love it like we do, maybe you will won't. With the tires re-balanced I would drive it anywhere."

0B98C204-23F7-4D85-BCD5-34E987F010C1.jpeg
32D24FEC-E919-45A6-8B4E-9DA4BA6C6F87.jpeg
77B5434D-CD5C-4AD3-A1BC-1E5A38372CCC.jpeg
99F77DCF-E373-4609-98A5-7F4862D7881D.jpeg

Last edited:
That's a really great truck for the money. It's also perfect for a drive now, restore later rig. Although I'm not sure any more restore work would make it any more cool than it is now.

Darn it, you got me thinking!

I would be interested, I need to get up your way one of these days anyway.

Fantastic, thank you Mathew!

I would be willing to sell outright as it sits, $9500. Ready to move on to something with 4-doors for the family.

Last edited:
The GX is a great truck and has worked well for our adventures thus far. For now it will continue to fill the roll, but it will need to be replaced with something bigger in the future for family trips, adventures, etc. With the two boys it is completely packed to roof for trips and really is not as big of a vehicle as one would think, especially width wise. If anyone is interested in a mildly built, non-rusty GX, I know where one is.

If someone picks up the 40 from me two things could happen. One would be a direct 40 replacement with something else that can live in the garage like a nice 60, 70, 80 series, etc. Another option would be saving that money, selling the GX, and buying something like a 200 series. I don't really know what will happen, but I will continue to work on the 40 as if I were keeping it as I know myself too well. I put stuff up for sale and if nothing comes of it I continue on. I actually will be picking up some Old Man Emu FJ40 springs tonight (the sickness never rests).

I wouldn't consider selling the 40 at all, but the safety level of having the kids in it just isn't there so all of the fun in picking the kids up from school, going to the store, going on adventures, etc is nixed. I was also fully planning on driving it to work, but many of the stations I am at are not secured and have had numerous issues with vehicle break-ins and the 40 would be an easy target. So it sits, a lot more than it should.

I think your approach is perfect. Something that works better will just happen when you least expect it. I wish I could buy it bit I'm seriously cruiser poor right now! Working on some people that I think should be considering it though.

I've been seriously thinking of an FJ40... I just passed up 2 - 200's and found a showroom quality 100 but already have 2.
My wife says 6 vehicles are too many... if I agree to sell the Taco and Camry I think she'll let me have the FJ... assuming you still have it.
I know if I mentione "motorcycle" she'll be cool with the FJ but I save that one for special occasions.

I've been seriously thinking of an FJ40... I just passed up 2 - 200's and found a showroom quality 100 but already have 2.
My wife says 6 vehicles are too many... if I agree to sell the Taco and Camry I think she'll let me have the FJ... assuming you still have it.
I know if I mentione "motorcycle" she'll be cool with the FJ but I save that one for special occasions.

Don't be spreading any of that "too many" business around here!
I think the 40 is a fine deal for both of you.

Wish it were in my cards, I'd be all about it.

PM sent.

I'm also putting my 2002 Camry (manual transmission, new clutch, 1/2 shafts, tires, it does burn some oil but we stay on top of it, 233k miles, $2500) and 2017 Tacoma (manual 6sp, 6cylinder, TRD Sport, 26k miles, 45k mile Toyota transferable warranty, 4 door, $31k) up for sale.
The Camry is being replaced with a 2004 Land Cruiser that I'm currently building (will post pics). The Taco is sweet but just isn't the right vehicle for me. My lease is up September 2019 so I can either drive it until September and turn it in, buy it out or turn it in early.

I'd rather have an FJ40... my kids are bigger now so rather than riding along, they want their own rigs ;?)

Still up for grabs, I took some pics the other day, I will post a few.

85179FFE-7E71-440E-AD6C-B35DF51F221E.jpeg
D4918D70-B105-4E23-BDE1-9A98898462AE.jpeg
49C2A561-2473-4E48-B37B-F95E55407405.jpeg
DBE7ECEF-AFEB-4396-8E8D-EDD4BE0455A6.jpeg
402C81F4-54B5-4DAD-8783-3E00EB29F50D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom