Considering new 2006 LC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LOL. Is that a thumbs up..... or is it what I think it is ? Thanks for the advice, but right now I need a daily driver. And I'll confirm on the money pit.... Just Empty Every Pocket .... damn thing started falling apart around 130K and its been downhill ever since. I'm actually embarrassed to drive it into work now..... plus I'm pushing the 50 mark and need to grow up---go easy on me, this is like changing religions.

And yes, I realize the '06 has the VVTi engine. I test drove the GX 470 recently and was impressed with the torque this engine makes .... plus its a nice smooth revving V8. It definitely has an edge on the LR3's 300 H.P Jag V8 that produces way less torque than the VVTi.

I'm a torque man..... my hemi car makes 700 lbs at 4000 rpm.

I guess I'll need to show you the LC keys to get a thumbs up ?? ;)

dclee said:
Sell your XJ, buy an 80 Series, put half the money in it and wind up with twice the vehicle! :flipoff2:

Then buy the `06 for daily driving. BTW, `06 is supposed to have the VVTi engine, which adds about 40 hp and 12 more lb.-ft. of torque over the `05. Or wait for one of Christo's turbos for the 4.7 and blow away the VVTi truck... :cool:

I appreciate the info! I wouldn't buy one from circus Longo. I stopped in there a few weeks ago for the first time..... I couldn't walk 50 ft. without being chased down by a salesmonkey.

I just told them I was looking for the Subway sandwiches. :D

Have you heard anything about Power Toyota ? They have three dealers in the local vicinity.

FirstToy said:
Forget Longo, I've had bad service there and less than stellar repuation for selling cars.
The one bad Lexus service I had was from Longo.

Try some other dealers like John Elway or Symes.

Why not get the Lexus LX470 (if you're willing to spend a few extra $$)...since the TLC is not any simpler. I would pay the little bit extra for the LX and get Lexus longer warranty, better service, and more upscale equipment. I love the memory seat and Mark Levinson sound system upgrade in the LX among other smaller things.

I don't see any Toyota giving much discount on TLC (snobs!)...but i do see Lexus dealers discounting the LX (as long as you have a little patience to wait till middle of next year)...so the price difference is not all that great. The problem is that TLC is rare on any Toyota dealer lot. LX is more plentiful on Lexus dealer lot.

And i agree with you...i would wait for '06 to get the more powerful engine...and this is also good if you decide to sell your car in the future due to higher resale value with the new engine.

BTW, my brother's '01 LX470 is very reliable...no issue with suspension or interior electronics.

Last edited:
As of mid June, the going discount on new 05 LC's around here $4K. plenty from which to choose.

What other new things does the 06 LC have? AHC, power steering column? Did memory seats making in the list of standard features?

I think its just AHC (option) and standard tire pressure monitoring system. No memory seats to my knowledge. Aside from a few new colors (silver and some ugly blue) and the VVTi, same as 2005.

Those are actually pics of the 2005 on the yahoo link above.

Are you sure ?.... I compared these against the pics on Toyota's Web site and the ones on Yahoo look like it has the upgraded front grill, F&R lights. Plus the photo captions indicate 2006 model. Also, If I'm not mistaken isn't this is the Lexus Galactic Blue in the Yahoo photos ?

Maybe that's a sign from the Land Cruiser Gods that it will be eventually sold at Lexus dealers in the near future.

Toyota updated their Web site "build and price" function, but still have the file photos from prior year models.

At least that's my assessment of the situation.

flyfish4life said:
I think its just AHC (option) and standard tire pressure monitoring system. No memory seats to my knowledge. Aside from a few new colors (silver and some ugly blue) and the VVTi, same as 2005.

Those are actually pics of the 2005 on the yahoo link above.

I would imgagine that the 06 calipers and rotors did not downsize. If that is true, then , you will not be able to run 16's on your new 100. I think in 2002 is when they changed rotor/caliper size.

Yeah, 30k buys very little these days in general-and I live in KY ( :

Yes, that is galactic grey in the picture and it is a 2005. The Toyota website's photos are 2006. Main difference in the grill and rear LED taillights.

Thanks for the clarification. I went out to the Toyota site and can't figure out what's the real deal. I downloaded an e-brochure and on page 3 is says the 2006 comes with P275/60R 18" tires, and page 9 says it comes with P275/65R18 tires.

Minor detail in the broad scheme of things, I guess I'll need to go down to a dealer a see the differences. So far, I haven't found any online inventories in Classic Sliver Metallic.

flyfish4life said:
Yes, that is galactic grey in the picture and it is a 2005. The Toyota website's photos are 2006. Main difference in the grill and rear LED taillights.

They have inconsistencies in those brochures every year and its pretty irritating. BTW, I am also in the market and looked at classic silver also because they originally indicated on the website that it would come with tan interior only, which to me is a nice combination. But no, just another oversight becuase after talking to my dealer and a subsequent call to the Toyota customer service center, it only comes with grey. After further correspondence, they finally updated the website (and I guess the e-brochure) - a month later. Having said this, I do think what's on the Toyota site (as far as photos) is the real deal, although they photoshoped the exterior changes - point is there is not much difference, except under the hood and the AHC.

Thanks for the info .....

I'm in the printing biz... should have known. It was only after you said something I figured they must have superimposed the 2006 into those existing photos..... that's why I was confused about what was on Yahoo vs. the Toyota Web site.

It appears they're following the same exterior/interior color schemes across the LC/LX 470 platform. Maybe a slow integration is in the plan since the SUV market is drying up.

Lots of heavy iron sitting on lots right now.... maybe a car industry meltdown or moderate recession coming our way. Reminds me of the 70's when oil went through the ceiling.

Everyone raced to buy small commuters....

I'd like to second what Juke said above. They're more than likely 18's on there because of the rotor size. Thus you probably can't go down to a 16" wheel. I've dealt with this on my 4th Gen Sport 4 Runner, I too wanted to go 16's or smaller.

When buying my 05, I dealt with three dealers and then eventually two. I had a salesman fax me the absolute lowest price they could sell the truck for. I took it to my dealer and they matched it . It was about 4 grand less than they originally wanted. I ended up buying near my house and sent the other guy $200 bucks for helping me out. They will move on them, especially with the 06's coming in.

I'd also stick with the Cruiser, Lexus doesn't do much for me. I prefer simple over complicated.

Doug

Thai,
Thanks for the suggestions, the following are the rational why I wouldn't spend the extra money:

1. I can't justify $6K for 12 more months of basic warranty.... plus you may want to read the fine print.

2. Black tie service shouldn't be a factor.... as I hope I won't be spending too much time in the service department.

3. Lexus paid too much to drop Mark Levinson's name... the stereo isn't that great based on my experience in the GX 470. Go listen to the Harmon Kardon stereo in the Land Rover LR3 HSE.... you'll hear the difference.

4. Rare new Toyota Land Cruiser's bring higher resale values.... bloated Lexus dealerships create more used inventory, and therefore lowers resale value in the long term.

5. Value motivates me more than status.

Thai said:
Why not get the Lexus LX470 (if you're willing to spend a few extra $$)...since the TLC is not any simpler. I would pay the little bit extra for the LX and get Lexus longer warranty, better service, and more upscale equipment. I love the memory seat and Mark Levinson sound system upgrade in the LX among other smaller things.

I don't see any Toyota giving much discount on TLC (snobs!)...but i do see Lexus dealers discounting the LX (as long as you have a little patience to wait till middle of next year)...so the price difference is not all that great. The problem is that TLC is rare on any Toyota dealer lot. LX is more plentiful on Lexus dealer lot.

And i agree with you...i would wait for '06 to get the more powerful engine...and this is also good if you decide to sell your car in the future due to higher resale value with the new engine.

BTW, my brother's '01 LX470 is very reliable...no issue with suspension or interior electronics.

a990dna, the Mark Levinson in the LX is better than GX. It is clearer IMO than the Logic 7 system in the LR SUVs. Logic 7 has better bass, but the ML is much clearer in the LX.

UltraFJ said:
I'd like to second what Juke said above. They're more than likely 18's on there because of the rotor size. Thus you probably can't go down to a 16" wheel. I've dealt with this on my 4th Gen Sport 4 Runner, I too wanted to go 16's or smaller.
I have never read anything that says later model LC's received the larger calipers/rotors--only that they had EBD (Electronic Brakeforce Distribution) technology. Anybody know for sure? Where is C-Dan when you need him? ;)

The JDM '06 100 comes with either 17" or 18" wheels, so I'd think 17" would fit (still, hardly any tire choices). I'd expect there to be more choices in 17" than 18" in the near future since many of the new 4runners and other SUV's use 17". Tire choices is why I went with 15" over 16" on my other rig (more choices, and a lot cheaper).

a990dna said:
Thai,
Thanks for the suggestions, the following are the rational why I wouldn't spend the extra money:

1. I can't justify $6K for 12 more months of basic warranty.... plus you may want to read the fine print.

2. Black tie service shouldn't be a factor.... as I hope I won't be spending too much time in the service department.

3. Lexus paid too much to drop Mark Levinson's name... the stereo isn't that great based on my experience in the GX 470. Go listen to the Harmon Kardon stereo in the Land Rover LR3 HSE.... you'll hear the difference.

4. Rare new Toyota Land Cruiser's bring higher resale values.... bloated Lexus dealerships create more used inventory, and therefore lowers resale value in the long term.

5. Value motivates me more than status.

#1 has been covered ad nauseum. it's not just the warranty.
#2 best of luck with that one. ours has seen more than it's fair share of the svc bay
#3 the stereo (when it works) it REALLY good. i've not heard the GX nor the LR, but i'll put the ML system up against most any stock system.
#4 empirical data to prove that. probably not. the gap between the LC and the LX remians considerable, while still under warranty.
#5 good luck buying that new LC in a toy store. they act like they've never sold a vehicle before, especially not one that runs $60K.

$0.02

Resale Value

#4 got me curious, so I ran some numbers on resale value:

Retail KBB/Original MSRP

2003 LC 79%
2003 LX 77%

2000 LC 55%
2000 LX 54%

1998 LC 45%
1998 LX 43%

IMO, not too much of a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread