Considering a page 1 rewrite on my elctronics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All! I did a quick search and didn't see any thread addressing this but if I'm missing anything mods feel free to delete this.

About two months ago I bought an 85 FJ60 wagon and have been loving it. Once I rebuild the front axle everything mechanically is sound in the truck save for needing to address two cracked vacuum lines. The biggest issue for me right now is that I am the 4th owner and the last two both did a lot of at home modifications. As a result the wiring of this truck is a hot mess. Random wires leading to nowhere, multiple wires jammed into one fuse port, poor routing of wires, ect. I am toying with fully rewiring the truck save for a few major pieces. I have some experience with wiring and circuits but I also know how troublesome these things can be. This isnt my daily driver so I can leave it in disrepair for about 2 months no issue. Has anyone every tried this? I havent found any good wiring diagrams out there but I feel like they must exist. Any tips people have would be greatly appreciated! I am new to FJ's but not to working on cars so I want to make sure there isnt any little things about these trucks I should know.

Thanks!
Bunkn

I found quite a few Mitchell manuals, Chilton manuals, and other repair manuals at my local library. The Haynes manuals (there's one specifically one for the 60-Series Land Cruisers) and FSMs also have diagrams. They're not always consistent with one another, but generally you can figure out the correct wiring if you study things a while. Also note that there are often wires and connectors that don't go anywhere (they came from the factory that way). Several I've run across recently are 1) a connector for the headlight washer pump on the drivers side inner fender, even on FJ60s that didn't have the washer and 2) a connector for the front locker on my '89 FJ62, even though factory lockers weren't available on US models.

If you have any specific questions as you go along post them here, plenty of us willing to help.

+1 on the wires to nowhere. Manufacturers don't like stocking more things than they have to, so harnesses are often harmonized across all configurations. There are original "wires to nowhere" in few places on mine. Now, if you find some frayed zip cord duct taped to the firewall, that's probably not supposed to be there...

Also, under the dash there are a couple extra plugs/wires for things like the inclinometer that was supplied on overseas models, digital clock, and then I believe on the late model FJ60s (late 85-87) there is even a different plug for the stereo.

Don't forget there is also the 12v light plug under the dash on the passenger side for those trucks that came with the work light!!

Make sure it needs a full re-wire. I was headed down that road for the same reason until one day I was waiting for my son at his school. I just decided to removed every non-stock wire I could find. By the time he was out from practice I had an entire back seat full of random garbage wiring (including zip cord!). A bit of clean up later and it's been great since then, which is like 10 years.

Just in general, Toyota wiring is very good. A full re-wire is a huge project. I think I'd try and just fix what's there unless hacked to pieces.

The one rewiring project that many here agree is worthwhile is a beefed up headlight harness. I did it, and even with the s***ty sealed beams there was an improvement in visibility. Lots of threads on this, starting with @slcfj62

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom