Consensus on Following FSM re: HDFT Compression Check, eyc (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm putting together a batch of parts and tools to do a bit of inspecting of my engine in the near future; specifically valve clearances, compression test and having a look at the state of the injectors. Since there's no glow plugs on this more, i get to pull a lot apart In the process. In the FSM when replacing the head cover, it states to put a new gasket in (fair enough), but to also replace all 12 bolts and washers.

Does anyone actually go through with that? I mean, they are just cover bolts, right?

full

I've had rocker covers off and on 1H** engines quite a few times and reused the gasket and bolts repeatedly. I've never replaced the bolts.
the have F All torque on them, I think the only reason to replace the bolts is if some gorilla over tightens them, or they are corroded.
If the gasket is in good shape, it should be fine IMO. If they're readily available to you. maybe wouldn't hurt to pick one up in case

There are two types of 1HD-FT valve cover bolt combos, one which is a two-piece setup (early), and a one-piece type (late). The one-piece types can leak if used more than once, as they are a multi-layer metal/rubber gasket and lose their elasticity. I found this out after a few of mine started to seep on my 80, so I replaced them all. My other motor has the two-piece bolts...where I will just replace the gaskets when that motor goes in the 45.

Thanks @mudgudgeon and @CycloSteve, but I guess this keeps getting more convoluted the deeper I look into the rabbit hole.

Really makes you wonder about the advice people give you when they say "Just do a compression check" when you are looking at buying a used vehicle. o_O

Being a 1995, that should be the early version, as it was the first year for the HDFT, so I should be OK with the bolts, anyway. I'll try to find out if there's a gasket available in town, or at least only a day or two away as a just in case.

Moving a few hundred pages further into the FSM to where the nozzle installation is shown, it looks like I'm supposed to get new O-rings, new nozzle seats, new nozzle holder seals and the nozzle leakage pipe gaskets. These all seem really important, and from what I've read, lots of these are going to be damaged during removal. Since I'm always frustrated when I find a forum post and nobody goes into specifics, I'll try to help out a little bit with what I've found regarding part numbers.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

11213-17020 - Cylinder Head Cover Gasket x1 (maybe?)
90109-06274 - Cylinder Head Bolt + Washer Set x12 (maybe?)
23681-17010 - Nozzle Holder Seal x6
96721-24015 - O-Rings x6
11176-17020 - Nozzle Seats x6
90904-30006 - Nozzle Leakage Pipe Gaskets - Nozzle Side x6
90430-13002 - Nozzle Leakage Pipe Gasket - Cylinder Head Side x1

full

Now to find places where these parts are available....

www.partsouq.com same as your diagram is from, I just ordered a few odds and ends and it was at my door in 3 days. That's faster than when I call the local dealer for anything they don't have on the shelf FFS, and 1/4 the price!

www.partsouq.com same as your diagram is from, I just ordered a few odds and ends and it was at my door in 3 days. That's faster than when I call the local dealer for anything they don't have on the shelf FFS, and 1/4 the price!

3 days to Canada from the middle east? That's unreal. At work we have trouble getting stuff from the next province over in less than a week.

3 days to Canada from the middle east? That's unreal. At work we have trouble getting stuff from the next province over in less than a week.

Yah partsouq.com shipping is super fast. Not sure of the USA, but be prepared for a duty bill to show up in the mail from FedEx or whomever ships to Canada. Even after all the smoke clears, exchange, duty, shipping it is still way cheaper if you have a few things to order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom