Concerns with buying high mileage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
High mileage is relative. What is high mileage for one isn't to another. That being said, I been looking for a 200 series in the low $30K range. It seems, 125K-150K miles is pretty typical at the price point. My father is an old school domestic car buyer and he keeps warning me against paying so much for something with such high mileage. He normally is getting ride of cars at that point. I've been a Honda and Subaru owner for the past 15 years and had great luck but I never got over 100K on a car before. Here I am seriously considering a LC with 150K miles.

Recently I found one that meets the specs above with detailed service history on Carfax but it comes from WI. I'm assuming a 6 year old ride from WI would be hard to avoid rust. I've seen a number from CT and I've had the same concerns. I wasn't just yet ready to buy so I never made the trip to see first hand.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or words of wisdom?

That is the one I recently found, thanks for sharing the link.

Even ignoring that particular one, I'm still curious about the mileage and the others I've seen. Even the ones I find in the south seem to be bought from auction and from the north 80% of the time.

Plenty from the south that came from the south. I searched pretty extensively for a few months for my truck, and if you're a bit flexible on color and location and year and mileage there are a good number of choices out there.

My thoughts: if you are looking for an older higher mileage truck get one from the south or the west that doesn't have any rust issues and has been well taken care of. I bought my 08 with 140k on it, it spent its life as a company vehicle in MS and went to the dealer to get serviced every 5k. It's super clean underneath and mechanically. A few imperfections in the body and paint and interior, but mechanically is great.

Are you including LX570 in your search? You can get a southern 2011 with 100K miles for $32K all day. I just got a one-owner, 77K miles for mid 30's

200 series are stout. Plenty of LC with over 200-300k miles in the Middle Eastern desert... I would agree, for the typical auto at 125-150k miles I would avoid, but these 200 series are built to last. Get a LX if you can find one, as the LXs tend to be more pampered than the LCs.

Choose one that lived its life away from the rust belt (ie. West Coast save Alaska, Southern states).

I picked up my LX last year at 84k miles and it's going strong. Aside from a failed water pump I just discovered (thank goodness for CPO warranty) these trucks are tanks.

There are typically 5 things to look for in a higher mileage 200 series:
1) rust. buy souther/western if you can
2) water pumps go out as early as 75K, look for maintenance history through Toyota website, use the VIN
3) radiators crack: there are a couple threads on this. easy to look for, easy fix to do yourself if so inclined
4) starter: fewer have failed, generally between 125-145K miles. 700-800 through a dealer/shop 350$ to do yourself
5) Cam tower coolant leak: expensive for a shop/dealer to do, pretty cheap, just time consuming to do yourself

I bought my truck with 142K, single owner, wonderful maintenance, dings on every corner. At 180K now, not a squeak or rattle, runs like a top. best car I've ever owned. Most people that ride in it can't believe that it's an 08, or that it has 180K on the clock.

There are typically 5 things to look for in a higher mileage 200 series:
1) rust. buy souther/western if you can
2) water pumps go out as early as 75K, look for maintenance history through Toyota website, use the VIN
3) radiators crack: there are a couple threads on this. easy to look for, easy fix to do yourself if so inclined
4) starter: fewer have failed, generally between 125-145K miles. 700-800 through a dealer/shop 350$ to do yourself
5) Cam tower coolant leak: expensive for a shop/dealer to do, pretty cheap, just time consuming to do yourself

I bought my truck with 142K, single owner, wonderful maintenance, dings on every corner. At 180K now, not a squeak or rattle, runs like a top. best car I've ever owned. Most people that ride in it can't believe that it's an 08, or that it has 180K on the clock.

So has your 200 had any of your listed problems and if so at what mileage?

Water pump at 75, radiator at 120, starter at 124.

I'm in Arizona, so no rust, but the sun and heat do their worst on cars.

Thanks for all the reply's folks. I have looked at the LX570 online and you can seem to find better deals on them but honestly I just don't think I want to go that way. I worry about the AHC suspension over time and honestly I just like the more sleeper look of the Land Cruiser.

How common is the cam tower leak? I've seen reports of the water pump and radiators before. The other is the first I've ran across on it. Easy to visually inspect?

On the '08 and '09 LC, can you do hands free calling with an iPhone? Can you play music from a phone through the factory radio via bluetooth or USB cable? I only ask because I do both every single day on my current ride. Hate to have to give that up.

Hands free calling yes, Bluetooth music stock no, but there are several aftermarket options that are easy to install to get that feature.

Pretty much the "info-tainment" in a cruiser is about a decade behind more mainstream vehicles.
But it's easier to add Bluetooth to a cruiser than make a suburban go 250k miles ;)

So has your 200 had any of your listed problems and if so at what mileage?
Bought mine with 120,000
Had Leaking Cam Tower, went ahead and replaced along with cam shaft position sensor
Radiator and Water Pump
Everything else has been maintenance plus upgraded suspension
I'm over 200,000 miles and still running strong

I don't believe anyone mentioned it, but I worry about electrical issues on modern cars and trucks more than anything. Motors, transmissions and axles are pretty easy to swap compared to electrical/computer gremlins, particularly ones that are intermittent.

Obviously rust too.

I went to look at a really clean ‘08 Land Cruiser in Lexington a couple weeks ago. Not perfect but it was nicer than I expected. It had 113K IIRC. I was considering but when they gave me a ballpark rate of 7% due to the age (my credit wasn’t run) I couldn’t bite.

I been also considering 100 series Land Cruisers, GX470, LX570, etc. I ended up deciding on a ‘16 4Runner Trail Premium with 17K miles. While I still respect and desire the other models I mentioned the 4Runner just seemed to make more sense for my situation. Thanks everyone for the input.

I went to look at a really clean ‘08 Land Cruiser in Lexington a couple weeks ago. Not perfect but it was nicer than I expected. It had 113K IIRC. I was considering but when they gave me a ballpark rate of 7% due to the age (my credit wasn’t run) I couldn’t bite.

I been also considering 100 series Land Cruisers, GX470, LX570, etc. I ended up deciding on a ‘16 4Runner Trail Premium with 17K miles. While I still respect and desire the other models I mentioned the 4Runner just seemed to make more sense for my situation. Thanks everyone for the input.

The models you mentioned are all good choices. I seriously considered the 4R and GX470 as well, but decided to go with a LX570.

Best of luck!

Old thread, but wanted to say thanks for the tips and buying advice to all of the above. In the market for 100/200/gx. No specific budget, but under $28k. Helps heaps to know what to look out for.

I'm 42 years old, and it took me a long time to get over the high mileage hangup.

What eventually made me realize that my mindset was flawed was a conversation I had with a 70 year old car enthusiast; I asked: 'Why do you find these old 60's classics with 55k-60k on them in fields?' He replied: 'Because they were spent! Cars didn't go 100k like they do nowadays!'

Eventually that made me understand that reliability (assuming the vehicle is well made) is on a sliding scale as time goes on.

The uninformed will always think you're crazy spending '1 year old, 12k mile Ford Explorer' money for a truck that's 5+ years old with 125k on it. The informed will know that your 125k mile truck is more reliable than the Exporer was when it was brand new, and will be worth real money long after the explorer is in the junkyard.

Don't be afraid of mileage. Be afraid of sketchy service history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom