Wierd clunck during test drive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Driving a 2011 200 with what appears to be 2-3" lift and 35's with factory uca's the is a clunk coming from the right front wheel when turning right with a bump. At first I thought it was tire scrub but I'm unsure now. Thinking it may be UCA interference.

Even better would be if the prior owner of the truck is here? (WI truck aside from visible modifications it's got auxiliary fuel tank, fully locked with ARB. Warn winch)

IMG_2667.JPG

IMG_2668.JPG

If possible get pictures of suspension. Upper control arms, coils..turn the wheel and check for clearance in rear of wheel well. If the seller wil let you, jack up the front and grab the wheel, see if there is any play. Push/pull on top and bottom. Look for ball joints with play i them.

If you buy it, please let us know about that aux tank !!!

I will. I'm taking it to chi-town 4x4 tomorrow for an inspection. I'll update. I am really hoping the previous owner is on here.

I'd have chi-town check to see when the engine codes were last reset. There aren't too many people with 200s on this forum with aux tanks, and getting them to not throw emissions codes sometimes seems to be a challenge. If it's not, I'm really curious to see the setup.

Any idea what lift is on it (OME Nitrochargers?)

I'm with TexAZ. I'd look at ball joints and other suspension bolts first. After that if it's only happening on hard right turns I'd look closely at the KDSS arm, since that's where I still rub very slightly with my 34s on lower offset wheels.

If you're taking it to chi-town I assume you're near Chicago. I'm in Evanston. If you want to bring it by my place I'm happy to inspect it with you.

So I bought a carfax and thought about the truck overnight. Thinking critically this specific truck may not be practical for my family. Most importantly:

- unknown when all modifications where done.

- unknown who did the modifications.

- seems the lift was half a**ed. No diff drop, factory UCAs and fat wheel spacers. I'd likely have to replace a lot of bushings and possibly hardware.

- as others mentioned, not a whole lot of info on the aux tank. I does work, I have no idea how safe it is. If the reflection of the suspension install is a reflection of other , it concerns me.

- Surface rust on the frame is what I'd consider moderate, the suspension components are moderate, the skid plates have some full on rot.

- according to the carfax, the car was broadsided. Reported little damage. But frame tweak is still possible. (This was the last straw against the truck for me)

- the swingouts are not practical for a DD with two kids. I can see getting real tired real quick just putting groceries or a stroller in the back all the time.

its like a house that was "upgraded" by the previous owner. If you have any doubts - just walk away. There are many other fish in the sea when it comes to good looking and properly maintained 200's.

Sometimes the spring can bind on the perch on the front shocks. When the Springs flex, they will bend and hit the shock body. That might be what you are hearing.

I can say for certain that factory UCAs, even with a 2" lift, won't get you back to factory caster. Diff drop is 50/50. Same for wheel spacer opinions around here. I'd agree though - it's more fun planning and doing your own build. Plus there's always the addage "never buy someone else's project".

SPCs went in today for me. Definitely need an alignment now - right tire has negative camber and the left has noticeably positive toe out. Probably won't drive much until I get into the alignment shop on Wednesday anyway.

So I bought a carfax and thought about the truck overnight. Thinking critically this specific truck may not be practical for my family. Most importantly:

- unknown when all modifications where done.

- unknown who did the modifications.

- seems the lift was half a**ed. No diff drop, factory UCAs and fat wheel spacers. I'd likely have to replace a lot of bushings and possibly hardware.

- as others mentioned, not a whole lot of info on the aux tank. I does work, I have no idea how safe it is. If the reflection of the suspension install is a reflection of other , it concerns me.

- Surface rust on the frame is what I'd consider moderate, the suspension components are moderate, the skid plates have some full on rot.

- according to the carfax, the car was broadsided. Reported little damage. But frame tweak is still possible. (This was the last straw against the truck for me)

- the swingouts are not practical for a DD with two kids. I can see getting real tired real quick just putting groceries or a stroller in the back all the time.[/QUOTE

everything you wrote was the exact same reason i passed on this truck. seamed like a steal at $30k though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom