Complete Newbie looking for a Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

View attachment 1799192 Still sitting in my driveway next to mine in North Richland Hills, TX. They are build for road trips imo. We drove ours from Honduras to Texas and my friends for sale was driven from Peru to Texas. Here’s a pic before we moved. I don’t get anything from the sale, so let’s talk if you’re interested. He’s flexible on the price too.

OP- Give a 70 series troopy a try, before commmiting to a 45 troopy. They are amazing wagons.

5010D5DC-CA52-4575-A2B5-E8B587660243.jpeg
C1222FAD-3EFC-4D25-B372-8766765AF693.jpeg

Oh man, hadn’t seen that one. If Cdan is the seller you can bet it’s solid. That’s a beautiful rig!

Sorry... if you like it to read or not..
I wouldn´t pay the dollars
MVI_9061_preview.jpg

for this mixed potato... it´s a pimped Troopy.
For Sale - PRICE REDUCED 1982 FJ45 Troopy, Land Cruiser Heritage Museum collection
Some more.
You have to work on the underside and the frame of this can a lot
& put another bundle dollars in it if you don`t do it by your own or it rust from the inner & underside faster than you think....
...if you really use it in different weather conditions.
Beside the wrong engine and transmission.
The rims :
Australian Troopys even the later 75 always had split rims.
I drove seventy-fives in Australia.
I would buy an untouched 75 rather than a modified 45 if would prefer the newer things...
...like a more powerful engine and so on.
Seventy-fives are great trucks to drive.
Now all is said. :)

Last edited:
Search, search... search & take your time.
FJ45 Troopy For Sale - Toyota Land Cruisers Import
or Australia
Free local classified ads
There was a guy on Mud Josh a lawyer & former pilot ... great guy Chamba....
lived in Adeleide.
I have had his email adress during this time.
He left Australia went back to Santa Fee New Mexico & I have never seen him on Mud again... don´t know what happend.
He shipped some 45s to the USA.

All vintage cars & trucks ( all brands) are overvalued.
...During a recession is the best time to buy ..maybe we see a mild (hope & not an ugly one) in 19 or 20.
The Fed Federal Reserve Board - Home
....don't fight the Fed...... is on the brake pedal.

Then a lot throw their junk ... sorry their vintage :) on the market...buy!
Ask Warren Buffett when it´s the best time to buy.... when it´s cheap.:)

Last edited:
@a.greenspan - I don't think originality is on the OP's mind. So that 45 troopy with the 12H-T might suit her. Plus I don't think the museum would mislead anyone during a sale. I've dealt with those boys for a couple years now and they're from good stock. I do however agree with the idea of a 75 series. They're not as pretty, but a 1990 - 1997 HZJ75 with 11 seats would give her everything she needs.

@Suzanne Biase I'd start looking for a low mileage HZJ75 troopy in the year range specified above. Aussie Landcruiser guy speaking here. By the time the 70 series had entered the market, Toyota had really refined their heavy duty Landcruiser range to accomodate more discerning clientele. Before that they really were just bush trucks with a few options thrown in near the end of the production run. The 70 series has these options as standard. A/C, power steering, 4 wheel disc brakes [1993+], 5 speed trans, decent handbrake, great chassis, decent NVH, FF rear axle and after the rust traps of the 40 series they really designed the 70 series with this in mind. My old man had a 1991 HZJ with the 1HZ 4.2L I6 diesel. Sure it was slow compared to a petrol powered truck, but it was bulletproof. Regular mileage benchmarks for HZJ's are in the high 400k km on the original drivetrain. Have seen 600k km HZJ's still running. Have heard of 1m km HZJ's. With care and regular servicing this kind of serviceability can be achieved. The 11 seat option is three up front and eight in the back on inboard facing bench seats. It's not the most comfortable situation for the rear occupants, plus the seat belts out back are only lap belts. You could always flip the seats on CL and install a 2nd row with three forward facing seats and a 3rd row with two more forward facing seats. Plenty of room to do that. Access will be the issue due to a lack of rear side doors, but there'll be a solution. Cutting a 3rd door in is a big job for only an experienced shop. You can find 3 door HZJ's down here but most are usually mine/tour guide spec with high hard miles. Or could make three rows of rear sets two wide.

Anyway, I've rambled enough. Happy hunting.

Daniel

EDIT: An FJZ75 could suit as well. Has the 1FZ engine. Less mileage and reliability but more parts availability in NA as this engine was offered in the FZJ80. Down here they sell for much less as diesel is king.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/re...))))&sortby=~Odometer&WT.z_srchsrcx=makemodel

Last edited:
Found this. It's a 78 series which means it's newer and has the new 5 stud pattern and coil front axle. Also has 8 seats and a side door! But being in SA would most likely be an ex-mine vehicle that the current owner would have bought. Could be one of the good ones though.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-Landcruiser-2006/SSE-AD-4446321/?Cr=4

That does look like a sweet 78 series. Problem is us Yanks have to deal with a twenty-five year rule. Currently 93 and older is what we are allow to import.

@cult45 This is SUPER helpful information. Everyone has been so helpful. I think my husband and I are going to go look at the one at the Landcruiser museum beginning of November and go from there. If we can't see ourselves maintaining an older one, maybe the 70series is right for us.
@a.greenspan - thank you SO much for your information and helpfulness as well!

Good luck take your time.
The 75 hatched out of the eggs in 1984... means they are on the market since more than 30 years.
No problem to find one if you switch to the 75.
But the real one is the 45. :)
The 75 are great trucks but a bit boring.
Just an example.
toyo0271.jpg

https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/det...iser-troopcarrier-manual-4x4/SPOT-ITM-278794/
An 1980 australian 45
Just an example as always.
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-Landcruiser-1980/SSE-AD-5535759/?Cr=31
Exchance rate Aus $ / US $
today ( when I watched ) 0.7086
Australian Dollar

Last edited:
@Tancruiser - that would be AWESOME if you could take a look at it! Any input would be appreciated!

And @3_puppies - I think I prefer the body style of the earlier ones. More like this one. 1983 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ45 Troopy

I would check the production date. RHD got the insert dash with the 82 model (@0/81?). But the LHD didn't start until the 83 model (10/82). My guess it is a 82 model since I see a dome light switch in the A pillar. Were a few changes 10/82 besides the insert dash.

An 1980 australian 45
Just an example as always.
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-Landcruiser-1980/SSE-AD-5535759/?Cr=31
Exchance rate Aus $ / US $
today ( when I watched ) 0.7086
Australian Dollar

Personally would perfer the 8/80+ for the split transfer case, transmission crossmember and spring change. First two making upgrade to a five speed easier. Would need a later 10/82+ transfer case but it would have a hand brake on the back of the transfer case could switch over. No US imported split transfer case had a hand brake here. Besides the transfer case the 10/82+ transmission hump was redesinged to accommodate the H55F five speed.

a.greenspan, Sep 30, 2018 ....don't fight the Fed...... is on the brake pedal.
Then a lot throw their junk ... sorry their vintage :) on the market...buy!
Ask Warren Buffett when it´s the best time to buy.... when it´s cheap.:)

"....Higher government bond yields have been partly blamed for the recent downturn because rising rates equate to higher borrowing costs for corporations and individuals...."

article-2724290-2081FB4300000578-424_634x795.jpg

Sometimes they are faster than expected and Donald... sorry the President of the United States is on his twitter machine.;)
Hold up buyers are coming on the sunny side of the street.:)
Here’s how much damage has been done to the stock market during a powerful rout

Another market voice:
"In our call of the day, economist Oliver Jones of Capital Economics argues that investors are right to be worried and that the market action shows they are starting to factor in the prospect of a U.S. economic slowdown in response to tighter monetary policy by the Federal Reserve. That slowdown, which he expects to take hold in 2019, ...."

Last edited:
@cult45 This is SUPER helpful information. Everyone has been so helpful. I think my husband and I are going to go look at the one at the Landcruiser museum beginning of November and go from there. If we can't see ourselves maintaining an older one, maybe the 70series is right for us.
@a.greenspan - thank you SO much for your information and helpfulness as well!

Suzanne,
You are getting a lot of info from some very knowledgeable folks on here. Not sure how overly concerned you are right now about split cases, tranny humps, hatched eggs(?) at this point. But checking out @cruiserdan 's beast and gaining some knowledge from him is a solid plan.

75 troopy = function, and arguably more advanced/better designed in every way -yada, yadda. But so is a 200 series.... Or a Sienna.

If you want a 45 series troopy for what it is and the way it looks - GET A BJ/HJ/FJ45!:) It is one of those special vehicles you will turn around and look back at every time you get out. Just keep doing your homework, lot of shady ones (shops/people) out there. Oh and the black one at the FJ Co. isn't for sale, per say, its "available for restoration" and would probably end up well north of $100K.

To the masses and 75 bubba's, much love and flame away.

BTW- If you want some gouge on Troopys and kiddos (pros and cons), feel free to PM me.

~md

Ours is still available. :)

Oh, and it is a 12HT with a 5 speed and power steering:grinpimp:

Get a 45! I’ve put over 10,000 miles this year already on the 1983 I picked up. Drove it from Seattle home to South Dakota in feb and down to Colorado and back a few weeks ago. Good luck with your search.

That one at the museum looks incredible! I’m hoping to see it in a few weeks if my travel plans work out Like I want them too.

08525334-5B82-4B64-ADC9-D4A08A6246F1.jpeg

48F2D288-F7F5-4A8A-9D52-EF32EA9655E4.jpeg

2083A064-A7CA-4086-9882-5ED69951398E.jpeg

This ^^^ = awesome.

Whitey, that a custom rear bench or con ferr?

Why do you think some cars/ trucks are sitting in a show room for month & month & mo... and nobody jump in ?

eyc0cxopy0lfo4ndxgbt

I need no likes... some can hate me..
...all I want is people using their brain before invest (not only in this thread)
....throw their hard earned money out.

Sun is shining now we jump in a unmolested vintage. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom