Comms group buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Outsane,

Yeah , but combined with your charging unit integrated in. I tried using the battery adapter with a plug but prefer to keep the battery charged for use away from the vehicle.

So my UV5R can already do the GMRS? If I am using it for that how do I switch to HAM? Do I have to just toggle frequencies?
Yes, the older UV5R radios can be programmed for the FRS and GMRS channels; I've read that due to complaints from the FCC newer versions of the radios (UV5R-V2) can no longer be programmed to operate outside the ham bands. I've not dug into it, but I suspect there's a hack for that... Legality is the issue in that the UV5R is 'certified' by the FCC for use only on the ham bands and using it to transmit on the FRS / GMRS bands is technically illegal. The same applies the Anytone radio I mentioned above and other flavors of programmable radios; while it can be programmed for these other radio bands (or 'services' as the FCC refers to them) it is illegal to transmit on those bands with the radio as it is only certified for the ham bands. So, transmit at your own risk.

Thanks Bud, do you know about the

UV-50X2​

I have the 50X2 in both of my trucks so if that works I can ditch the CB.

FWIW I've been running Btech radios for a few years now in two rigs and they work great. Easy to program with CHIRP and obviously more umph than the handheld. I've got mine hard wired Currently running the BTech mini 25x2
All indications on the interweb are yes the UV-50X2 can be programmed for operation on GMRS FRS... with the same disclaimers as previously noted.
As a follow-up to my previous and with regard to the legality of it all, here's a good video on the subject -

How convenient. I just installed mine. Behold, dual Btechs.
1650595923113.jpeg

1650595938961.jpeg

But, the ham license fee went from $0 to $35 as well...
$35 for 10 years isn’t so bad. Just a little more than most of us have probably spent of flowers for our wives in the past 10 years 😳.

I just spent almost 35 bucks on a 24 pack of Pupil. I got the GMRS license. I am going to task Daniel with studying for the ham test on the way to Moab. Maybe, just maybe, we can pass it.

Frank

$35 for 10 years isn’t so bad. Just a little more than most of us have probably spent of flowers for our wives in the past 10 years 😳.
$3.50 a year seems like a bargain to me!
Nevertheless, I was successful in renewing my license on 4/18 for free - exactly 90 days before it was set to expire (and the soonest you can renew it) and exactly 1 day before the new pricing kicked in on 4/19...

I think so. What model of Ham? This is BTech's size so am not sure if it's standard but I can modify the design.

I think so. What model of Ham? This is BTech's size so am not sure if it's standard but I can modify the design.
It's a Kenwood TM-281A

Dimensions (W x H x D),
(Projections included)
160 x 43 x 126 mm
161 x 43 x 170.5 mm

Not sure if this would fit or what mods need to be made to the center council but I currently have it mounted on the back of the arm rest between the seats, just not super convenient for tuning, looking back.

It's wider , longer, and a little taller, (4mm). I think we could easily fit one of them. It would be good if I could get some measurements with calipers but I could make a prototype with what's here. I am working on finishing the latest air box for Tim's 60 which will take about 4 more days. After that I can crank out of these. I forgot, what year is your 80?

Since there is going to be some extra realestate we could probably a 12V/USB port or something like that too.

It's wider , longer, and a little taller, (4mm). I think we could easily fit one of them. It would be good if I could get some measurements with calipers but I could make a prototype with what's here. I am working on finishing the latest air box for Tim's 60 which will take about 4 more days. After that I can crank out of these. I forgot, what year is your 80?

Since there is going to be some extra realestate we could probably a 12V/USB port or something like that too.
maybe add a cell phone holder/slot

Mines a 97. I am using a cubby hole slot ram mount for Ram phone charger and a Baofeng UV5r radio from Joey at Witsend. Rattles a bit on rough roads but works well. Also added a blue seas usb charger to coin slot holes so if room is a problem I would not need these. The pictures show the ham mounted behind the center council on a bracket, and the ram mount cubby hole. If the ham could fit in your design, puting the radio were the CB speaker would be awesome and possible option for others if the size could be flexible.

Radio 2.jpg

Radio 1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom