College cruiser slow build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ask the alternator shop what went out on the alternator. And let us know how much they charge.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
So I have actually been graduated from the University of Idaho a while now and have since paid off those student loans. But now I've also started the process for purchasing my first home which is kinda tying up funds. However I did start a new project for the cruiser.

I am in the process of making a hybrid FZJ80 front axle with hilux knuckle balls and outers. I'm doing this because I can, and I have tons of leftover front axle parts from my 1985 4Runner that I sold this past winter. I also like the idea of a high pinion in the front especially because I plan on going SOA. Lots of folks on the marlin forum said I shouldn't do it because its weaker than the FZJ80 outer configuration. Ive never broken a stock hilux axle ever and am pretty sure with longfields and 35-37" tires on the FJ60 I should be good.

Attached are a few pics of the axle conversion so far.

I picked up a set of 1994 FZJ80 axles in sacramento this past winter for 700.00. The rear axle will be pretty easy to install in an SOA configuration with the 63" chevy swap kit from Ruff stuff. I have both axles cleaned up and ready for the leaf spring mounts however only the front axle is shown in the pics.

The front knuckle balls were removed from the axle tubes using a rigid pipe cutter. Everywhere I read it said the axle tubes were thicker than 4mm but both the hilux donor axle and the FZJ80 axle were nearly 4mm thick where the cuts were made. That's why theres a decent groove shown on the knuckle balls. I don't think it will jeopardize the integrity of them though. I used a cheap cylinder hone to clean up the inside of the axle tubes to make fitment with the hilux knuckle balls easier. I traded a local machine shop some lathe work on the knuckle balls fro some .38 special shot ammo. My lathe tooling wouldn't reach the material I wanted removed and I wanted to get as much near oem insertion as I could compared the the cut and turn methods depth.

That's as far as I've gotten. View attachment 1105879 View attachment 1105880 View attachment 1105881 View attachment 1105882 View attachment 1105883 View attachment 1105879 View attachment 1105880 View attachment 1105881 View attachment 1105882 View attachment 1105883

6.jpg
7.jpg

This front axle is going to 4" wider than a hilux axle and about an 1" wider than an FJ60/62 axle.

I called ruff stuff the other day to inquire about the FJ60 SOA front kit. I'll definitley have to modify the front axle spring perches slightly to get the fitment correct on the 80 hybrid axle because the axle tube shapes are so much different. One thing I'm concerned with is which degree of perch to go with 10 or 0. I'm thinking 0 would be ok since the differential will be high pinion. 10 degree ma put the differential too high and the 4x4 labs frombe hi steer reer steering rod may not clear. the 10 degree option may also point the flange way too high. It's about a 100.00 to get both options just to see and both would have to be modified just to see where it would sit in a configured setup.

I haven't done a Spring-over so this this is just outsider observations.

Aren't Hilux knuckles smaller than FJ60 knuckles? Why not use the the larger FZJ80 knuckle balls and the FJ60 diff? That way you have the biggest knuckle balls and the biggest diff, and run 80 shafts? You would have to get custom shafts as well with your configuration right?

If you are worried about pinion angle why not do a cut and turn? You are changing the knuckle balls anyways already.

Get @robustbambi or @GLTHFJ60 in here because I don't actually know anything about SOA.

Last edited:
Hilux/mini truck knuckles and knuckle balls are the same as fj60/62 series.
I'm using the hilux stuff because I already have a frombe high steer setup for the mini truck knuckles. I also have a spare set of new fm 1ton tre's.
The high steer and hellfire knuckles are really expensive and since I already have most of the parts I need I thought I'd try it.

I bought the longfield birfield joints and inner axles recently. FYI if you want to save some money on custom length chromoly 30 splines. The short side fj40 axle is close enough in length to work with an 80 housing short side with a mini truck knuckle ball. Depending on where you cut the tubes with the pipe cutter. If you do it right the only custom length shaft will need to be the long side inner axle only.

Been a while but I thought I’d update this thread. So the 2f gave up the number 5 and 6 cylinders a while back and had been parked for a while now. Basically just a backup rig. I traded the 2f to another member I know in exchange for pulling it for me. Thanks cruiserfj45! I’ve amassed a whole bunch of parts to fix up the 60: 4bt, Zf5 out of my 95f350, (zf6 going into the 95), 31 spline np203, 19 spline splitcase to np203 adapter, 38mm splitcase out of a newer Fj60, 63” 4 leaf rear springs, ruff stuff soa swap kit and a few other odds and ends. It’s all basically in storage and ready to get attached. I need to start with the zf6 swap on my 95f350 though to free up the Zf5 for the cruiser swap. All in good time but I think with the corona out there happening it should keep me focused and on task with the 60.

Fitting up the FJ60 front SOA mounts to the FJ80 tube shape.

EBF9B4DE-05B5-4F5B-9F7C-C3B7F9D286E2.jpeg

These trussed fzj80 rears look awesome!

88404974-A382-4DA9-9F67-DAB8133D509E.jpeg

Looks like it gives it a 10 year rejuvenation underneath 😂

Should I go gold or red on the hybrid axle 👆

08C22EAE-53FC-4055-8516-6E45F0CABDAC.jpeg

Should I go gold or red on the hybrid axle 👆

F58F4F87-997C-4F97-9ACE-F998C6D4A99A.jpeg

Which version ZF5?

All these years later your front axle still doesn't make sense, high-pinion is not not worth downgrading the differential so much

Which version ZF5?

All these years later your front axle still doesn't make sense, high-pinion is not not worth downgrading the differential so much
I’ll use the s-42 out of my 95 powerstroke. Swapping a zf6 into the 95.

Which version ZF5?

Additionally I’ve never broken any stock Toyota components on any of my vehicles. Wheeled the dusy ershim and swamp lakes trail extensively and have never had any issues with Toyota 8” differentials.🤷‍♂️

Additionally I’ve never broken any stock Toyota components on any of my vehicles. Wheeled the dusy ershim and swamp lakes trail extensively and have never had any issues with Toyota 8” differentials.🤷‍♂️

Lucky you. Now put a 4BT and 100:1 gear in front of them and a 37" tire on the other side and see what happens

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom