College cruiser slow build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_0215.JPG

I registered this 1984 FJ60 in the cruiser registry the other day and after talking with my bro wadeclinton, have decided to do a build thread on it as well. I've started a build thread on this 60 on the Marlin forum as well. I have been a member on that forum for a while so pics are unlimited for me over there, here I need a few more posts before I can post alot of pics. This forum seems to have alot more folks involved with the cruisers so I thought i'd post up here as well. Once I get ten posts I can put up an avatar and more pics of the crusier as the build proceeds.
IMG_0215.JPG

More info

The work that I have done so far is rip all the 27 year old faded brown turned green carpet out. Started replacing the interior rear panels with aluminum tread plate cuz the po had hacked em real good trying to put some blown 10" and 6" speakers back there. I think they didn't pull the panel off to check where the supports were cuz there first attempt put the speakers right in front of one, no worky so to cover up the hole they just faked it by putting 6" speaker covers over the hole. I also pulled the stock bumpers off, getting ready to fab up heavier duty ones. If anyone is interested in them they are available. the front one comes with a push/light bar. The 60 is down at Michael toyota in fresno getting the rear seat belts and fuel tank/filler lines replaced on recall work. It smoked a little when I picked it up but since then I have done a full tune up, replaced all the water hoses except one right above the water pump super hard to get to as well as one on the driverside fire wall hard getting to as well. I have also replaced the exhaust system from the headpipe back, it wasn't too hard. I ordered all the tube and flanges from summit cat as well, only thing that wasn't newish was the flowmaster I had laying around but it's in good shape. As soon as I get the 60 back from the dealer I am gonna have the carb rebuilt, It kinda hesitates. That should be the last thing to do, before I take it to get it smogged.

Arcata, huh I just applied to Humboldt state might be going there this fall for forestry natural resources.

More info

The reason i'm doing all this smog work is because I think the po was deported back to mexico and his wife couldn't drive stick or have the know how to work on it. So I picked it up for 1500.00 and have about 500.00 into it so far. Other mods that I would like to do to it are soa shackle reversal the front suspension. Allthough there isn't one complete kit that I like so I think I'm gonna use the front hanger style from ruff stuff and the rear frame tube sleeve style that proffits uses for shackles on the rear of their front springs. I would like to do a 4bt swap and 5speed w/case doublers. Not sure if I should persue the H55f right now or the R series 5 speed, or if I should just wait and spend the money once on a nv4500 when and if I do the 4bt swap. On the marlin forum on guy put and R150 with toybox and split case doubler and kept the 2f. Don't know if I want to invest in that If it would just come right back out for a 203/205 doubler behind the nv4500. A full Cage kit would be nice as well. I'm not sure if add leaves is the way I want to go or not. Luke at 4X4 labs suggested not using OME on a soa because to make it look right 38" tires would have to be used to fill up the fender wells. I'm used to 315/75r/16 on my 854Runner, I think I would like the cruiser to run those same tires. Oh since the carpet is out I would like to sound deaden the interior and re carpet what I took out to freshen up the interior. Also replace the purple window tint.

Arcata, huh I just applied to Humboldt state might be going there this fall for forestry natural resources.
Great place for that:cheers:

Luke at 4X4 labs suggested not using OME on a soa because to make it look right 38" tires would have to be used to fill up the fender wells.
That's consistent with many SOA examples here. Folks start with OME. When they decide to then go to SOA, they post in the Wanted - Parts section looking for stock springs.

Sping thoughts

I was looking at MAF's site and was wondering if putting both short and long add leaves would be a good idea for holding up the weight of the 4BT. The site says short for stiffer long for flexyier. I think both would only lift about a 1/2" more than just one add leaf either short or long. I like my marlin 5" springs on my 4Runner stiffish on cornering but flexy while wheeling. I want the same style of handling with the cruiser, the stock lc springs are a little too soft for my liking.

I know about the slow college build. Nice find on that cruiser, any other mechanical issues or is it just interior that's messed up? I guess it doesn't matter too much if you're gonna do the 4bt and tranny swap.

Good luck.

Response to mech issues

The engine stumbles/hesitates when trying to take off. I kinda have to feather or massage the throttle to keep it from dying. From what I've read there is no single definitive cure, could be a whole chain of events. I want to start with a carb rebuild since this thing pretty much sat for a year or more before i got it. Other info says it might be EGR or altitude vacuum. I copied another guys smog lines from madera I met him on the Marlin Forum and He copied from D'animal, so I think my vacuum routing is correct.

If you do a search on "FSM links" there should be a thread with a link where you can download them, they will have anything you need in the meantime before the swap.

welcome to the addiction!! :flipoff2:

Got the cruiser back

I got the cruiser back from the dealer on friday. The tank looks good but for some reason the site won't let me attach photos?
100_1274.JPG
100_1275.JPG
100_1276.JPG

Warring with Bro

Looking at my bro's build thread I though that I needed to up my game and get some photos in. His name on here is wadeclinton and his build thread is My New FJ40.

I'm out in Texas right now for the wildfires and today back home my bros wifey sent me a picture. I'm super exited because it's my carburetor freshly rebuilt by fj40jim. I can't wait to get home and install it. I'll keep everyone informed on how it runs and if it does better in regards to passing smog.
image-464533213.jpg

Just got back from an 18 day fire assignment out in Texas. Now I have 4 days off to install my carburetor freshly back from fj40jim! I had suspected someone had done some work to this cruiser before I got it and the repair list that Jim provided authenticated my hypothosis of someone doing some improper mechanicing.
image-3690722057.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom