Coil Pack Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was also at the Toyota dealership yesterday and here's what they told me:

$2610 for leaking manifolds
$1480 for leaking steering rack
$620 for rear rotors and pads
$320 for seized left emergency brake pivot
$115 for "D" and "P" bulbs out in instrument cluster
$96 to retorque front wheel bearings
-------
$5241 TOTAL

I got out of there with only doing the front wheel bearings, but the leaking manifolds concerns me. Nothing else is critical right now, but I don't like the idea of exhaust fumes potentially leaking into the cabin while driving. Strongly considering the DT headers group buy as an alternative to stock replacement manifolds.
I seriously don't know how they can all say that with a straight face...

I had to replace two coil packs within three weeks of each other, #1 and #5. Is it common for these to go out in pairs? Is the replacement of coils part of any service as a PM or is it just a replace when one goes out?

I had to replace two coil packs within three weeks of each other, #1 and #5. Is it common for these to go out in pairs? Is the replacement of coils part of any service as a PM or is it just a replace when one goes out?

Replace as needed. I've had several go out closer in time/miles. Seems to be not uncommon.

They show you that estimate, then start talking about the savings a new vehicle. "Look, you'll spend over $5k in maintenance this year alone, you'd be crazy not to spend $70k on a new LC with free oil changes for the first year!"

I dunno. But I'd rather hear from an electrical engineer who knows the design parameters of a coil pack. No offense to the mechanics...

:meh:

As with all things electrical with Toyota, it either works or it doesn't.

Toyota hasn't strayed from this design parameter in eons.

if anyone has done a recent spark plug change then the culprit for the demise of the ignition coil is the plug. I placed fusion-4 Bosh plugs and was quickly followed by poor mileage, and demise of Ignition coil. So back to Denso.

I have read that if you're throwing coil packs all the time, you need to make sure the head gasket isn't leaking- especially if it's the same packs time after time.. Also, multiple misfires and seemingly random misfires can be related to fuel injector/rail/other fuel issues instead of the coils themselves.

I had a coil pack go bad in #7 last spring, then in #8 a month or so ago. After the #8 went I changed the plugs (NGK's, my favortie). THEN, yesterday, I decided to really clean the engine with a high pressure hose (mistake!!). A couple of days ago and it began throwing several codes, PO301, 302, etc. So, I took all of the coil packs out and dried them out (there was moisture in the tubes to some the plugs). Ran OK for a few miles, then stumbled. Now it's down to one code, PO301, a seemingly old, maybe original, Denso coil pack. I'll take it out again today and see if there's still moisture present, if not a new Denso goes in. Now I wish I hadn't cleaned the engine but I hate having it so greasy- the rack and pinion steering boots had failed and sprayed all over. I've had this truck about 5 years and it's obvious that it was poorly maintained, so I've been "catching up" on it. Nice driver but pricey. I've had my 80 for 14 years and the only thing that's gone bad on it has been the HG! The 100 is more trouble prone, it would seem.
Ned

Lots to read here.. did you replace coil AND the plug? If you don't know the age SB's can verify they're real Denso plugs and coils.. do yourself a favor and replace them in pairs. Coil AND plug since I started doing that..no more coil pack misfire codes.

That said, I still carry 2 extra plugs and coils in my truck kit. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom