Coil over inquiries... toytek's specifically (for starters, but plz expand) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The rears are Billstein remote resi’s (5160s)

Toyota teamed up w/ Fox on the new TRD PRO models so maybe they are clearing these out. Only speculation on my part.

That's a great entry-level price for rear and front shocks plus front coils. If you want to keep your air bags, then that's all you need to refresh your suspension for $573.

Do you have the specs on the front shocks (like model) and the front coils (like spring rate)? How are you getting the specs on this setup? I couldn't get the details when I followed the link.

Anyways, nice find for entry-level suspension refresh.

Front are 6112s with the TTUE coils. I’m not sure of the spring rate of those but would be comparable to the stock FJC spring rate. Only difference was that the TTUEs sat level from the show room.

They only ran this setup on the 14 TTUEs

I’ll dig up more info. I’m still active on the FJ forums and a few guys just bought them so I can confirm that it’s legit.

My Bilstein 6112 kit up front is for an FJ Cruiser, so this suspension should fit the GX470 fine. Again, nice find.

@HomersCanyonero apologies, more of a general statement on my part. You mentioned the partial 6112 kit in an earlier post and I was just adding to that if someone or @DRANGED wanted to go with the complete setup.
The kit is a complete front and rear for a good price.
View attachment 1646593

I’m in the process of doing a complete swap from my FJC to the GX. 885s up front w/ swaybar relocate and Discos, MT progressive in rear with OME 60071L for extended travel. Bought the GX for a bargain because of airbag failures so figured why not.
So is this like the TRD Offroad upgrade or the pro upgrade over SR5? *EDIT* I see that this is FJC setup. Do FJC front springs afford a little lift on GX, or negated by 2uz-fe?

What is TTUE?

Sway bar relocate? In GX?
Does that out it up amd aft like thw FJ and cruisers rather than down and for ilke runners and GX?

Your photo, is that the $600 kit from you a? Shocks front and rear, front lift coils amd no rear springs, plus are those remote reservoir rear??

Last edited:
It was. The kit was used on the 4Runner TRD PROS and the 14 FJC Trail Teams Ultimate addition.

The kit included hardware. Front coils (Red that leveled the trucks) 6112 shocks and 5160 rear remote reservoirs.
You’d need rear coils and the conversion kit to complete it. Something like this:

TOYTEC LIFT KIT TRD PRO 4RUNNER 2014 ULT FJC FJ4RPRO

It was. The kit was used on the 4Runner TRD PROS and the 14 FJC Trail Teams Ultimate addition.

The kit included hardware. Front coils (Red that leveled the trucks) 6112 shocks and 5160 rear remote reservoirs.
You’d need rear coils and the conversion kit to complete it. Something like this:

TOYTEC LIFT KIT TRD PRO 4RUNNER 2014 ULT FJC FJ4RPRO

Yeah, but if you are an air bag aficionado, then you don't need to do a spring conversion. Just keep the air bags in the rear and replace the rear shocks with those included in the TTUE kit.

That ToyTec Lift Kit TRD Pro listed above is seems to be missing things needed for the GX470 spring conversion like the Toyota isolators and maybe other things.

My phone has a mind of its own and double posting but yes, you’d need the other bits to get it converted. And good point, if the airbags are fine everything should bolt up. You need to do a little finessing to the front lower shock mount as these are a little larger. They will work though.

@HomersCanyonero Thought you might like this. Just came across the complete TTUE kit for sale by Toyota for $573. Pretty reasonable actually. Although there were some front coil failures reported from the TTUE folks. It’s a beefy kit and sits about an 1” higher than normal stock w/ the 6112s and 5160s

PTR1335140 - Suspension Kit. TRD, PSuspension, Chassis - Genuine Toyota Accessory
The GX' V8 makes it heavier than an FJ up front. Do you think this would still lift a GX?

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Would like a little lift/level, and a better ride on Forest Service roads, but that's about the extent of my off-roading for the foreseeable future, so on-road manners would still be a priority. I realize how subjective this question is, but can anyone speak to the ride quality of this TRD kit? (@joabmc ) I'm of the same mind about airbags as @HomersCanyonero so I would hold off on the coil conversion for the time being.

@Arailt You are correct and I’m still learning my way around the GX. My knowledge comes from the FJC side of the 120.
Some rough math puts the GX about +200 lbs heavier in the front. I’d imagine that you’d end end up with some rake with that setup.

I’m lifted about 2.5” in the front with the 6112s FJ cruiser kit’s shocks and coils. It’s adjustable so you can select the lift up front.

The TRD branded Bilsteins are not height adjustable.

Never mind. Too much to drink made read it wrong....

Last edited:
Oh,that’s a negative.

Yeah, Homer. I was talking about the TRD FJ Bilstiens that were linked earlier, not the 6112 adjustables for an FJ. The TRD branded Bilsteins are not adjustable like the 6112s are.

Both my brother and I have the ToyTec 3" lift Bilstein 5100 coilovers on our GXs, both of us are happy with it.

As our trucks spend 80% of the time on pavement, it's a really nice ride on the road but still gets the job done when we drive on the beach and through deep snow.

Both my brother and I have the ToyTec 3" lift Bilstein 5100 coilovers on our GXs, both of us are happy with it.

As our trucks spend 80% of the time on pavement, it's a really nice ride on the road but still gets the job done when we drive on the beach and through deep snow.
bltbykrmn are those adjustable?....i contacted them and haven't heard back yet

TTUE kit says sold out now.

If it's made for a 2014 FJC, the lower front shock bushings will likely be a tad wider than on the GX470, but a grinder can fix that. Similarly, rear shock upper mounts are likely thicker than GX470 shocks, but the hole can be drilled out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom