Coax for NMO Mount

Discussion in 'Communication & Navigation' started by SmoothLC, Nov 27, 2018.

1. SmoothLC

SmoothLC

I'm looking for the best coax for a Kenwood TM-D710GA radio for a 3/4 NMO fender mount.

A coax cable that comes pre-attached like the one below (sans fender mount, got that already via @nakman / Gamiviti).

Based on what I've researched, since it will be a short run (the base unit will be hidden in the PS rear cargo panel) it appears that signal loss will be minimal so was thinking either RG-58 or RG-8X should be sufficient. Is that accurate?

If so, I haven't been able to find one. Any good sources to purchase from?

NMO-Fender-Mount.jpg

2. cmck

cmck

Media:
    Albums:
    I don’t have a recommendation on the cable since I’m new to radios. However dx engineering seems to have a lot inventory and I have had a good experience with them.

3. nakman

nakman addict.

Few options... The small diameter coax is RG-174 and RG-316.

Comet CK-3M is the one with 18" of RG-174 that transitions to regular 0.195" RG-58. It has a SO239 base.

http://www.cometantenna.com/amateur-...le-assemblies/

The Diamond C101 is 6.5' of RG-316 that terminates in a mini UHF and they include a PL-259 adapter. You can get this in either SO-239 or NMO. They sell mini UHF extension cables to make it longer.

Diamond® Antenna ~ C101 Cable Assembly

I don't have any NMO antennas anymore, so I always get the Comet CK-3M. hope that helps!

4. SmoothLC

SmoothLC

Thanks for the suggestions @nakman and @cmck! I found the Comet CK-3NMO assembly that has the 3/4" NMO mount with a PL-259 connector over on DX Engineering which I think I'll give a try. The coax is similar to RG-174 but is actually a 1.5D-QEFV Japanese coax for the first 18" then the remainder is slightly larger in size to RG-58 (Japanese 3.5D-QEFV). So it should go perfect w/ your mount @nakman. Thanks again.

nakman and cmck like this.
Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.