Coastal offroad sliders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Wanted to see if anyone else has used coastal offroad sliders on their 96-97 LC / LX450. Metal tech sliders aren't particularly cheap and I'm not sure I'm a fan of bolt on sliders. Not interested in slider steps either, so its really metal tech / OPOR or custom fab. Being in Commifornia makes wanting to cut off any of the exhaust and moving it a situation I'd like to avoid as well. Anyways

Sliders in question : Kickout Rock Slider Weld-Together Kit - Coastal Offroad

They look nice and really like the price. Like the redwood tree detail !! Wish I had known about these a few weeks earlier.

They look nice and really like the price. Like the redwood tree detail !! Wish I had known about these a few weeks earlier.

I did speak to one of the customer support people. "
Hi Aaron,

Thanks for reaching out! This is a problem unique to the 80 series. The rock sliders will only fit if the exhaust is rerouted, or the forward slider leg on the passenger side is placed so that it avoids the catalytic converter and exhaust. I've attached the instructions however they do not mention the irregularities of the 80 series catalytic converter and exhaust."

I might just swing for these and modify / make a custom front leg. As far as i can tell half the sliders out there for 80 series are junk (no kick out, stupid slider steps). Weld them together, figure out how to fab up the front leg and drop them off at the powder coater.

You can rotate the cats 90deg, just make sure the serial number is visible. Should give you a little more room.

I think this will be my next set of sliders, though I doubt they make an allowance for the cats on the 94-97

went with the truck shop sliders in san diego. Got everything i was looking for. Kickout, welded, top plate with holes and rhino lined. 1150 out the door basically. Definitely want to shop around local if you're looking at sliders, you might be able to get something a lot nicer (imo) than what a few companies offer.

You could try these kit sliders, I have heard they are a solid product.

80 Series Rock Sliders: Landcruiser 80 Series Rock Sliders and Step Rail kits (also for Lexus 450)

And don't be afraid to use bolt on sliders. There is a reason the majority of sliders are bolt on. Welding to the frame like that can create weak points in the frame and more importantly it will create a nice environment for rust to develop. It is a lot harder to clean the weld areas and welds, and get the frame properly painted compared to cleaning and painting the sliders before bolting them on.

I am currently working on bringing a set of Man a Fre weld on sliders back to life. They had to plasma cut the sliders off a wrecked 80. The guy who owns them wants to convert them to bolt on. It took me about 3 hours of cutting and grinding to get the old pieces of fj80 frame off the brackets.

20200805_200900.jpg

I’d really like to hear from guys that have weld to frame sliders out there. I’d like to know if they had any issues so far?

I’d really like to hear from guys that have weld to frame sliders out there. I’d like to know if they had any issues so far?

Mine are welded on the frame, no problems really except for the front passenger support is insufficient (design flaw). My previous 3 rigs all had welded sliders too. To be honest, it wasn't until recently that bolted on sliders were an accepted means of attaching them. I think I got mine welded in 2007 on my LC and I don't think there were many options for bolt on at that time.

Mine are welded on the frame, no problems really except for the front passenger support is insufficient (design flaw). My previous 3 rigs all had welded sliders too. To be honest, it wasn't until recently that bolted on sliders were an accepted means of attaching them. I think I got mine welded in 2007 on my LC and I don't think there were many options for bolt on at that time.

Hi-jacking taking place...sort of.

I ask because my uncle strongly disapproves of welding to the frame. Even with proper preheating he claims it can make the chassis brittle in some cases.

Figured there were alot of folks here that have done this several times...what would you recommend in terms of sequence of doing these 3 things on my '96 LC?

1-tires - need tires first. the tires on the LC now are very old (have cracks in rubber) and sat flat for years...I want to buy the correct tires for the 2.5 OME lift I'd eventually get. I'm not sure if the tires I'd buy to run with the OME 2.5" lift would work with my stock suspension setup until I can afford the OME lift? This is not my daily driver so dont need to get around.

2-rims - wanted to powder coat all 4 rims in low gloss black and repaint center caps...not sure if powder coating the rims and then putting old tires back on makes sense. I dont have a spare set of wheels to use while the rims get painted - I dont need the truck as a daily driver so could leave it at the paint shop I guess. I'm eventually getting the truck painted...should I wait for repaint to do the wheels?

3-OME 2.5" lift kit

Trying to spend my money the most efficient way...welcome to suggestions.

Thanks!
Hi-jacking taking place...sort of.

I ask because my uncle strongly disapproves of welding to the frame. Even with proper preheating he claims it can make the chassis brittle in some cases.

Your uncle is correct according to others I have been around. I have had people with metalurgy degrees and welding technology degrees both tell me this same thing. Also think about welding a thicker piece of steel (the slider) to the thinner frame along with introducing the differential heat treatment and I would imagine you are creating a weak point on the frame. Just my .01 cents

So does anyone have coastal off road sliders on their 80 series with CC's, photos please?? I just emailed coastal inquiring about the CC's bracket, we will see what they say if they respond. Why does the 80 series have 2 CC's, seems like I could modify and put one long slim one, anyone know about exhaust?

So does anyone have coastal off road sliders on their 80 series with CC's, photos please?? I just emailed coastal inquiring about the CC's bracket, we will see what they say if they respond. Why does the 80 series have 2 CC's, seems like I could modify and put one long slim one, anyone know about exhaust?
Having just received and unpacked their rear bumper and sliders kit, I would strongly suggest going with someone else's sliders.
All tube has to be coped by the person doing the welding (not a big deal if you're used to working with steel, a nightmare if you're not), not a single slider leg was cut to angle (a serious pain in the ass on an 80 series) and overall, they're more pain than they're worth at the price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom