CO2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know of a good place to get CO2? Matheson Trigas has really become a PIA to deal with, and I wasted my lunch hour today and still have no CO2 refill. Anyplace here or in Farmington area that can refill on a Saturday?

I have never had a problem at TriGas. TriGas was the only shop I've been to that filled while you wait. The welding shops can also fill, but the last time I tried that I had to drop the bottle off and come back.

I've also used primarily Trigas, but have had issues with them in the past. Generally, they are pretty quick and will fill the bottle while you wait, but I have showed up there and the CO2 equipment is down. Sorry I don't have any good alternatives for you.

They are no longer open to walk in at Washington location. The sign said to go to their 2nd and I40 location. I went there. They said they couldn't fill it there, but that I had to pay there and go back to the Washington location to fill up. All they would do at 2nd street is a tank exchange which is not an option for me. I told them that I had just come from the other location and that I didn't have time to keep running between locations. Anyone know how much a CO2 generator costs?

I filled up at TriGas on Washington last week with no issue. I just walked in and didn't notice a sign. They didn't say anything. I have another bottle to fill so I will try it again next week and see what happens.

TriGas doesn't "generate" the gas. It's mined as a bi-product of oil and gas.

I just had my bottle hydro'ed and filled at the Paseo/Jefferson location. no issues. for the hydro it had to go in for 2 weeks, but came back filled and ready to go. I've only used the Jefferson location.

They are no longer open to walk in at Washington location.

Confirming Gage's experience.

The new procedure is as follows:
1. Have a VISA CC and a cell phone with you.
2. Drive to Washington location.
3. Call the 2nd street location (number is on door at Washington)
4. Ask for the sales counter. (Do not talk to the lady that answers... Futility)
5. Explain to the rude guy at the sales counter that you are at the Washington location and you need a CO2 fill while you wait. He will take your CC information, produce an invoice, and fax the invoice to the Washington location.
6. Ring the doorbell at Washington, bring in your tank(s) and wait for your CO2 fill.

The lady on the phone is an idiot. Typical woman. She will have you running all over town with wrong information. She will be as vague as possible about any helpful details. She will lie to you and laugh when you hang up.

After I read the above posts and saw that Pappy and Shawn had recent success at the Washington location, I called before heading out. I Googled the information and called the number listed for the Washington location of Matheson. I told the lady that I own 2 tanks and that I wanted them filled with CO2 and not exchanged. She told me to bring them to the Washington location and that I could wait while they filled them. Based on this information, I leave work at 3pm, head to the house, retrieve my 2 empty CO2 cylinders, and drive to the fill location (Washington) arriving at 4:15. Sign on door says go to 2nd street and has a phone number. Called the phone number on the door and explained to the lady that I called earlier and followed her stupid/wrong instructions. She said "Sorry" and explained that I had to go to the 2nd street location before 5pm and they will fill them there. So I head to the 2nd street location (now almost 5pm) and walk in with the tanks. The counter guy yells at me and tells me to walk back out with the tanks and leave them outside the door. Wait in line about 5 minutes and the counter guy asks what I needed and I explained that I need my 2 tanks filled with CO2. He explains they only do exchanges and if I need my tanks filled they have to go to Washington. I explained that I just came from Washington and he said I had to pay at 2nd street and then go back to Washington. He volunteered that the lady on the phone is an idiot (confirming what I had already determined.)

I still don't have filled tanks but I have a paid invoice and plan to head back to Washington during lunch. :steer:

The experience reminds me of the Seinfeld Soup Nazi episode. "No soup for YOU".

-Mike-

(Note to self: Get OBA leak fixed on Cruiser this weekend.)

Last edited:
Barring any other location in town then, the key is to go to 2nd St first, pay, then go to Washington and they will fill while you wait?

So, no other location in NM?

SteveLCetc said:
Barring any other location in town then, the key is to go to 2nd St first, pay, then go to Washington and they will fill while you wait?

So, no other location in NM?

That is the only option if you are using cash. Call 2nd street if you are using a CC and are willing to risk giving the number over the phone. Those that live South of I40 may want to make 2 stops
-Mike-

So they will take cash at Washington?

They will only take cash at 2nd street. You do not exist at the Washington location without a receipt.

I worked with Richard in a previous life, he is the counter guy at 2nd street, he is a great guy but his hands are tied by bureaucracy.

FWIW my buddy kevin fills his powertank at argyle. they don't fill there and you give it up for a day, but you get your own tank back... no complaints after a couple fills...

Wow, what a mess. I've been filling at Trigas on Washington for years and rarely had an issue. If anything, their CO2 equipment was down for the day, but nothing like this. It sounds like Argyle is worth a try. The challenge, of course, is that all these places are M-F 8:00 to 5:00 (as Mike knows).

They sure do make it hard to give them money.

A few weeks ago, I called and paid by CC. Later, the same day, I went to Washington location, rang the buzzer on the door, and got my tank filled without hassle. Now, that I moved to Temple, TX, this last weekend, I'll be lucky to find any good wheeling. : ( I'm about an hour from a private offroad property near Marble Falls and about 2 hours from Katemcy 2 Rocks near Mason. Gently rolling hills and nice lakes here but no mountains in sight. : (

Gage - I didn't realize you guys were moving. Best of luck in Texas. Keep us posted if/when you get back to Abq.

Evan

A few weeks ago, I called and paid by CC. Later, the same day, I went to Washington location, rang the buzzer on the door, and got my tank filled without hassle. Now, that I moved to Temple, TX, this last weekend, I'll be lucky to find any good wheeling. : ( I'm about an hour from a private offroad property near Marble Falls and about 2 hours from Katemcy 2 Rocks near Mason. Gently rolling hills and nice lakes here but no mountains in sight. : (

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom